FiiO E17 "ALPEN" - First Impression + Final Thought
May 18, 2015 at 11:49 PM Post #6,646 of 6,777
Somewhere between this morning and this afternoon my E17 AUX stopped working. When I went to use it after work, the word "dock" pops on the screen and only 3 inputs are available; OPT, COX and USB. What happened?

May 19, 2015 at 1:17 AM Post #6,647 of 6,777
  Somewhere between this morning and this afternoon my E17 AUX stopped working. When I went to use it after work, the work "dock" pops on the screen and only 3 inputs are available; OPT, COX and USB. What happened?

Did you try resetting it. Most of the problems I had with my E17 goes away after resetting. Hope it's not a hardware related problem.

May 19, 2015 at 1:26 AM Post #6,648 of 6,777
You need to use the USB to get the digital signal to DAC. AUX wont utilize the DAC.

I don't have E09K but my E17 works fine with android phones. I have tried several ones. You need some player that supports like Onkyo HF player or HiBy Music.
You need to use a OTG cable and connect your E17 to it via usb cable.

***Remember to run the music app first and connect E17 in turned on condition. Or it does not work with most phone.

Let us know if it helps.

Quote:
So I tried to set up the E17+E09K combo with my phone. I docked the E17 in lo-bypass mode to the E09K, and attempted to use it with my smartphone with the USB OTG cable. The phone acts like nothing is plugged in, and proceeds to use it's own speakers. In my ignorance and excitement, I assumed that it would work because the E09K runs off DC power, and the phone would be 'streaming' to the E17 DAC, which in turn would be amped by the E09K.

So what now?

The obvious answer would be to plug a 3.5mm to RCA cable from my smartphone's headphone jack to the AUX IN the E09K. Would I be using the E17's DAC this way? Or would I be double amping?

Another option before I bought the E09K was to track down a Fiio L7 Line Out Dock to utilize the DAC portion of my E17 and let an O2 or something similarly priced do the amping. I can still return the E09K. If I did this, could I then use my smartphone via USB OTG through the L7?

Or is there another way? Thanks in advance!
smily_headphones1.gif

May 19, 2015 at 8:47 AM Post #6,650 of 6,777
Another option before I bought the E09K was to track down a Fiio L7 Line Out Dock to utilize the DAC portion of my E17 and let an O2 or something similarly priced do the amping. I can still return the E09K. If I did this, could I then use my smartphone via USB OTG through the L7?

yea that should work. Your phone ----> L7 LOD+E17 -----> amp via aux/line in. 

I would help you test it out but i don't have usb otg and my smartphone doesn't support it :frowning2:

May 19, 2015 at 9:42 AM Post #6,651 of 6,777

Did you try resetting it. Most of the problems I had with my E17 goes away after resetting. Hope it's not a hardware related problem.

Resetting did not help. AUX is no longer an input option.

May 19, 2015 at 4:14 PM Post #6,652 of 6,777
You need to use the USB to get the digital signal to DAC. AUX wont utilize the DAC.

I don't have E09K but my E17 works fine with android phones. I have tried several ones. You need some player that supports like Onkyo HF player or HiBy Music.

You need to use a OTG cable and connect your E17 to it via usb cable.

***Remember to run the music app first and connect E17 in turned on condition. Or it does not work with most phone.

Let us know if it helps.

Thanks. I actually have no trouble using my smartphone with the E17 via USB OTG, and my phone's stock music app works just fine.

What I'm trying to do is use my smartphone via USB OTG with the E17 and E09K (docked).

The E17 on it's own sounds great, but the E17+E09K combo sounds excellent. I was skeptical before buying the E09K, but not anymore. Even my 50ohm HD598 is significantly improved, never mind my HD650 and HE-400. I just don't want to be limited to this level of sound quality only when I'm on my laptop.

Theoretically, everything that gets out of the phone's stereo jack is already amped. So yes, it would be double amped and you won't hear the pure FiiO sound..

Thanks. Yes, that makes sense. I would prefer to hear the 'pure Fiio sound', but it looks like it's impossible to do with an E17+E09K combo and a smartphone. I can only use that combo with a computer.

yea that should work. Your phone ----> L7 LOD+E17 -----> amp via aux/line in. 

I would help you test it out but i don't have usb otg and my smartphone doesn't support it :frowning2:

Thanks, if all else fails, I may go that route. The only problem is locating an L7 LOD. It's discontinued, and appears to be sold out everywhere but an audio shop in Australia who may or may not want to ship to Canada.

Can anyone here confirm that the above setup would work? :)

May 20, 2015 at 12:26 AM Post #6,654 of 6,777
Good news guys...it's working now! :)

Xperia Z3 --> USB OTG --> E09K with E17 docked in 'Lo-Bypass' mode.

This is what I did before, but it wasn't working. So what happened here? Why is it suddenly working now? Well, I turned on the E17/E09K before plugging it into my phone. That's literally the only thing I did different, and it's working. I can't believe it was something so simple...

Thanks again for the help guys! :)

May 22, 2015 at 12:35 PM Post #6,655 of 6,777
Good news guys...it's working now! :)

Xperia Z3 --> USB OTG --> E09K with E17 docked in 'Lo-Bypass' mode.

This is what I did before, but it wasn't working. So what happened here? Why is it suddenly working now? Well, I turned on the E17/E09K before plugging it into my phone. That's literally the only thing I did different, and it's working. I can't believe it was something so simple...

Thanks again for the help guys! :)

Glad to hear it!!! Nothing like getting your home/desktop listening situation sorted out beautifully. Enjoy man. I'm loving my E17 right now. I use it for travel. Simple pairing with my I pod nano with 24/192 files via aux paired also with the Sony MDR z7's.
:wink:

May 25, 2015 at 11:54 PM Post #6,656 of 6,777
Havn't used my E17 for a while but since using it in the last few days every once in maybe 3-4 hours the sound cuts and starts buzzing/screeching until i change the default sound device on my laptop to onboard/change it back to e17 in which it's fine. Not sure if this is a driver issue or hardware. I've reinstalled the drivers but still happening.

Cheers

Jun 1, 2015 at 8:30 PM Post #6,657 of 6,777
Does anyone know if Fiio replaced the line out dock (L7) that was compatible with the E17? The L7 seems to be discontinued everywhere. I want to connect my PC -> E17 -> Stereo receiver and the L7 seemed like a cheap way to do it.

Other suggestions to make this work?

Is it a big deal if I connect the E17 to my receiver through the headphone out? I know I'm using the amp in the E17 to connect to another amp in that situation. Is that bad?

Thanks!

Jun 4, 2015 at 1:33 PM Post #6,658 of 6,777
Haven't used my E17 in years, part because I use ODAC at home and I don't leave the house much anymore. The second reason is @#*#*%# Apple removed even the line-out (nevermind they never allowed DAC in the first place) after my 4S moving to 5S. 

MAN WAS I HAPPY when I got my Android 5.0 Asus Zenfone 2 and realized I can plug the sucker into that! If I can just find the right cable to charge AND OTG at the same time, I'll be able to have prefect sound into my car sound system WITH only plugging in 1 single wire. 

Jun 24, 2015 at 4:40 PM Post #6,659 of 6,777
Hi everyone!

This is my first post, I recently joined the community. I just have a couple questions about E17 . I have FiiO E17 for a couple of years now and I used it mainly in this setup: MacBookPro Retina -- usb --e17 -- JVC HARX700 (my first over the ears on budget). Now I have upgraded to Blue Mo-Fi after researching the forum and speaking to a good friend who works in music production. The headphones are on their way. So I was wondering if I need to change the setup of my e17 to bring the most out of the new headphones?

If I understand correctly this should work:

Firstly, I would need to buy Toslink to Mini-Toslink cable, like this one: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fisual-Install-Mini-Toslink-Optical-Cable/dp/B003NT6RDO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1435176746&sr=8-1&keywords=toslink+to+mini+toslink

I have Toslink to mini-Toslink adapter that came together with e17, so would the following setup work better in terms of sound quality?

Macbook 3.5 jack --- Mini-Toslink --- Toslink +adapter to Mini-Toslink --- SPDIF IN (e17) --- Blue Mo-Fi headphones.

Then playing music in FLAC or Apple lossless presumably would give the most sound quality?

Just wondering if it is worth to change the setup or leave it as it is now - just via USB?

Thank you in advance.

Jun 25, 2015 at 9:18 AM Post #6,660 of 6,777

Then playing music in FLAC or Apple lossless presumably would give the most sound quality?

Just wondering if it is worth to change the setup or leave it as it is now - just via USB?

Thank you in advance.

Welcome! And sorry about your wallet lol.

Unless you have a very noisy USB port I doubt you'll hear any difference going TosLink. Many swear an optical connection avoids noise on the line but I haven't had the misfortune of such a bad USB connection. Many others will say that TosLink can be worse than asynchronous USB due to jitter.

If your USB sounds good now you're golden.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back