FiiO E17 "ALPEN" - First Impression + Final Thought
Jan 26, 2012 at 1:13 PM Post #691 of 6,777

Quote:
hi there,
my e17 arrived today. so far so good. i tried it with my shure se535 an the t70p. if no music is playing there is a silent but audible buzzing. its more audible with my inears then with my t70p and independent of the source but it is there. buzzing is changing a little bit if i scroll through the menu. is this a bug or a feature? may be i have to send it back. it's really annoying. 

@clieos
did you hear such a buzzing in your e17? what could be the reason?

greetings, s

Uh oh....

Quote:

No buzzing for me. Mine is as quiet as it can be. What volume, gain and mode is your E17 in? What is the source? Does it happen only when connected to a source or not?

Hmm, well that's promising.  Maybe just a bum unit then :frowning2:

Jan 26, 2012 at 1:22 PM Post #692 of 6,777
it is independent of gain and source. even without a source is a buzzing. buzzing disappears if i switch in a submenu (i.e. max volume and try to adjust). and i noticed now, if i increase the volume to about 40 buzzing disappears. it is really strange. 

Jan 26, 2012 at 1:25 PM Post #693 of 6,777

Quote:
it is independent of gain and source. even without a source is a buzzing. buzzing disappears if i switch in a submenu (i.e. max volume and try to adjust). and i noticed now, if i increase the volume to about 40 buzzing disappears. it is really strange. 

That's really weird. Have you tried reset the E17 yet? The reset hole is right between headphone-out and SPDIF-in.

p/s: might also want to charge your battery a bit as a weak battery can behave strangely.

Jan 26, 2012 at 1:33 PM Post #694 of 6,777
I'm sorry ClieOS I'm not familiar with this website, I just read page 1 and I'm guessing that DAC means that indeed it can be used with my pc via USB port? It's only necessary to purchase the e17 and maybe an L9 connector cable and not the e9 as well right? Again, I have Sennheiser 595s and they are good enough for use with the e17 correct? Where do you recommend I buy it from? I'm looking at a site called mp4nation at the moment and they look pretty good. Thanks again.

Jan 26, 2012 at 1:40 PM Post #696 of 6,777

Quote:
I'm sorry ClieOS I'm not familiar with this website, I just read page 1 and I'm guessing that DAC means that indeed it can be used with my pc via USB port? It's only necessary to purchase the e17 and maybe an L9 connector cable and not the e9 as well right? Again, I have Sennheiser 595s and they are good enough for use with the e17 correct? Where do you recommend I buy it from? I'm looking at a site called mp4nation at the moment and they look pretty good. Thanks again.

If all you need is to use the headphone-out, you don't need any extra cable. Connect the E17's mini USB port to PC is all you need to do. Don't have the HD595 so I don't know how well it will be.

Jan 26, 2012 at 1:47 PM Post #697 of 6,777

Quote:
Hmm, me either.  Says:

Delivery status information is not available for your item via this web site. A return receipt after mailing may be available through your local Post Office.

Weird.  Usually they update overnight.  Unless Micca makes their own labels in house (which a lot of places do), dropped it off last night... and it will actually be in the USPS system today, not yesterday.  I assume that's what it is.

Yea I'm still waiting on my E11. My order sat in processing for a couple of days with Micca, then USPS shows its been sitting in the same location for 2 days. 

In the past, Ive had items get delivered to my house and USPS' website shows its still in another site. So I usually take their tracking info, or lack thereof, as a grain of salt. 

Jan 26, 2012 at 2:01 PM Post #698 of 6,777

Quote:
Yea I'm still waiting on my E11. My order sat in processing for a couple of days with Micca, then USPS shows its been sitting in the same location for 2 days. 

In the past, Ive had items get delivered to my house and USPS' website shows its still in another site. So I usually take their tracking info, or lack thereof, as a grain of salt. 

I've had the same thing happen with USPS, lol.  Location: across the country.  Real location: in my mailbox.

Jan 26, 2012 at 2:04 PM Post #699 of 6,777
Micca gave the tracking number last night but USPS still says "no record". But I am also aware that USPS tracking is not accurate at all - most of time delayed. Hopefully I can receive and enjoy the dream toy early next week.

Quote:
Hmm, me either.  Says:

Delivery status information is not available for your item via this web site. A return receipt after mailing may be available through your local Post Office.

Weird.  Usually they update overnight.  Unless Micca makes their own labels in house (which a lot of places do), dropped it off last night... and it will actually be in the USPS system today, not yesterday.  I assume that's what it is.

Jan 26, 2012 at 2:34 PM Post #700 of 6,777

Quote:
Micca gave the tracking number last night but USPS still says "no record". But I am also aware that USPS tracking is not accurate at all - most of time delayed. Hopefully I can receive and enjoy the dream toy early next week.

haha same with me. UPS is better

Quick question.  Using the Fiio e17 will it be able to bypass the iPhones internal DAC and utilize its own DAC via 30 pin connector?  

nope. only the Algo Solo, CLAS, Fostex HP1 and a couple other that are $600+ can do that.

Hey guys so I was interested in buying either an e7 or an e17 but I'm not sure. I can only get amplifiers that can connect to my laptop via the USB port because my audio jack is broken. I know that the e7 can do this but I can't find anywhere that says if the e17 can connect through USB or not. If the e17 can, I don't have to buy the e9 with it right? Should I just get the e7? I'm only really going to be using it for my laptop anyway. I just want an amplifier that I can connect to my computer through USB, is there a better one? This will be my first amplifier and I have Sennheiser HD595's so it will be worth getting too.

The E17 is and can be used through USB. The E17 seems from what everyone says ...is much better than E7. I see the E17 as un upgrade path. something that makes upgrading whatever cans u have right now easy.

the L9 cable is only for if you wnat to connect to E17 through AUX in with an ipod or iphone or ipad. basically use as portable amp. the E9 is a desktop amp. unless you wnat to drive some high impendance cans. not needed.

same thing happened to me before too. my tracker still showed nothing happened. i go outside..see my package in my mail box. the next day. the tracker updated with all the info.....wow.

My tracker for the E17 just says USPS has gotten it

Jan 26, 2012 at 4:06 PM Post #701 of 6,777

Quote:
hi there,
my e17 arrived today. so far so good. i tried it with my shure se535 an the t70p. if no music is playing there is a silent but audible buzzing. its more audible with my inears then with my t70p and independent of the source but it is there. buzzing is changing a little bit if i scroll through the menu. is this a bug or a feature? may be i have to send it back. it's really annoying. 

@clieos
did you hear such a buzzing in your e17? what could be the reason?

greetings, s

Jan 26, 2012 at 4:56 PM Post #702 of 6,777
Obama visited UPS plant this morning....If he also visitied an USPS plant i could blame him for my tracker not updating....hmm..but then again. i could say that USPS people are busy combating UPS goers right now or something and my shipment is delayed.......i need someone to blame for this unsatisfactory feeling right now :frowning2:

Jan 26, 2012 at 5:04 PM Post #703 of 6,777
Is there any way for this thread to become an impressions (and related) thread again?

Jan 26, 2012 at 5:13 PM Post #705 of 6,777

Quote:
Is there any way for this thread to become an impressions (and related) thread again?

what gohanssjm said. none of us received them yet and the people that did are mostly regular head fi'ers

Quote:
Once more of us have them in hand I am sure that is exactly what will happen.  Right now we are just in a dead zone.

yeah. i will be able to post an impression on regular forums and a copy of one here in about a week. i'll get in about 5 days...5days on head fi is a long time...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back