FiiO E17 "ALPEN" - First Impression + Final Thought
May 19, 2012 at 12:12 PM Post #3,481 of 6,777
Quote:
There have been users reporting that using a powered USB hub fixes this.

Device Manager? I think you are looking at total as 500mA is a very common max power per port number for USB.

Just open Device Manager, Universal Serial Bus controllers and select one by one every Generic USB Hub. Open Properties and Power-sheet, there's power usage for every USB device attached to that hub. Fiio shows up as Composite USB Device, don't know why. For instance, my Trackball seems to take 98mA.

Can anyone with Fiio E7 report how much that takes hub power?

May 19, 2012 at 8:23 PM Post #3,482 of 6,777
Okay, I have to say --

I used this little device very happily for about a month before selling it yesterday and deciding to upgrade (into a whole 'nother realm of expensive that I didn't even realize -- hah). So in the meantime while I am waiting for the new components to arrive, I am just playing music without an external DAC through my Logitech Z2300 desktop speakers (which have an amp/headphone jack).

And all I can say is UGGGGGGH. I miss the E17 already. Like seconds into the first song I played. This album (to which I just listened two nights ago) just sounds... wrong. Sounds fake. Sounds... more tinny. Less warm. Less musical. The vocals sound... more veiled or something. Just, everything sounds off...

I have even more respect for the E17 now that I have sold it and realized how expensive the next step up really is.

May 19, 2012 at 8:26 PM Post #3,483 of 6,777
Quote:
Okay, I have to say --

I used this little device very happily for about a month before selling it yesterday and deciding to upgrade (into a whole 'nother realm of expensive that I didn't even realize -- hah). So in the meantime while I am waiting for the new components to arrive, I am just playing music without an external DAC through my Logitech Z2300 desktop speakers (which have an amp/headphone jack).

And all I can say is UGGGGGGH. I miss the E17 already. Like seconds into the first song I played. This album (to which I just listened two nights ago) just sounds... wrong. Sounds fake. Sounds... more tinny. Less warm. Less musical. The vocals sound... more veiled or something. Just, everything sounds off...

I have even more respect for the E17 now that I have sold it and realized how expensive the next step up really is.

Most members don't sell and can't part because of their love for their devices. But you did a good descision. The E17 is kinda rare right now and can fetch a good price. Heck if you ordered 5 or something from MP4Nation and got them. Selling them right now can yield you a decent profit.

I don't use E17 with my Z623's but I might try it sometime.

May 19, 2012 at 8:33 PM Post #3,484 of 6,777
Yeah, I had noticed that its price at Amazon shot up to $200+ weeks after I bought mine for $140, so I decided to put mine up for sale just to see if anyone would bite... Mine sold for $180+shipping on Amazon Marketplace yesterday, so I turned a $30 profit on the device after subtracting Amazon's commission.

Good thing, too, 'cause I ended up buying a $250 M-Stage and a $300 HRT Music Streamer II+. Damn!! 
basshead.gif

Quote:
Most members don't sell and can't part because of their love for their devices. But you did a good descision. The E17 is kinda rare right now and can fetch a good price. Heck if you ordered 5 or something from MP4Nation and got them. Selling them right now can yield you a decent profit.

I don't use E17 with my Z623's but I might try it sometime.

May 19, 2012 at 8:34 PM Post #3,485 of 6,777
Quote:
Yeah, I had noticed that its price at Amazon shot up to $200+ weeks after I bought mine for $140, so I decided to put mine up for sale just to see if anyone would bite... Mine sold for $180+shipping on Amazon Marketplace yesterday, so I turned a $30 profit on the device after subtracting Amazon's commission.

Good thing, too, 'cause I ended up buying a $250 M-Stage and a $300 HRT Music Streamer II+. Damn!! 
basshead.gif

"Welcome to Head-Fi! Sorry about your wallet!"

May 20, 2012 at 3:25 PM Post #3,487 of 6,777
Quote:
Quote:
That's great to hear. Hopefully the new ones will not have the issues.

"The new ones will not have the issues" is an overstatement. There is nothing wrong with the E17 as a whole. IT's just that specific models due to the parts and technology used may not hold up well. There is always a percent of bad units or units that can break. With so many E17's sold the percentage although the same looks bigger.

Like CLIEO's example. If FiiO had a 5% rate of defect in their units. When they only shipped 100 per month. That would at most be 5 people with problems THEORETICALLY. Let's say they now make 1000 units per month. The rate of defect of 5% has not changed. That would make it 50 units with a defective solder or problem at most per month THEORECTICALLY. The rate is the same but because of more expansion and more units it seems like there is more "problems". FiiO has said that they are investing to lessen the rate BY EVEN MORE so that problems will really be small.

Yes, those with problems should seek warranty with their dealer (IF AUTHORIZED DEALER) or with FiiO themselves. But the E17 does not have any huge problems. IT has some software mishaps every now and then but those aren't huge. Mine has no solder problems.

Agreed. I would actually buy from Amazon too (when the prices drops.) I purchased an E7 from Amazon and one the headphone jack crapped out on me too, and they gave me a full refund.

May 20, 2012 at 4:05 PM Post #3,488 of 6,777
Quote:

Agreed. I would actually buy from Amazon too (when the prices drops.) I purchased an E7 from Amazon and one the headphone jack crapped out on me too, and they gave me a full refund.

Amazon is not an authorized dealer but if you buy from Micca on Amazon that gets you 3 layers of protection. Amazon handles returns very well and does help with problems. If that fails Micca under FiiO's lisence has to provide support and then you have FiiO.

May 20, 2012 at 4:14 PM Post #3,489 of 6,777
Placed a preorder on head-direct.com for $140. I'm very happy with the E11 right now with my Galaxy Note phone using the 3.5 mm headphone jack. I'm amazed with the quality improvement, but the potentials of the build-in DAC just makes me yearning for more. I really hope the USB hosting/DAC development for ICS galaxy phones come through, so I can use the DAC of the E17 with my Galaxy Note. 

May 20, 2012 at 4:16 PM Post #3,490 of 6,777
what do you know, after hearing people selling their E17 on amazon for huge profit (I envy the guy who sold his for like $275?? with the full velcro back mod--haha)....I decided to list mine since my main DAPs don't need an amp.  sold on amazon yesterday for $190..about $170 after fees and shipping I think..  not bad :D  Sold my PSP yesterday also--might upgrade to the vita.  or buy an even cheaper psp.

so what IS the next step up from an E17?  

Also, I"m guessing the ibasso D-zero isn't as powerful as the E17.  That can be had right now for about $100 on the for sale..  fyi.  

Also, I'm curious what is a desktop equivalent of an E17?  power-wise.  

Little Dot MK1?  MK2?  My curiosity for a real tube amp is starting to get the best of me

May 20, 2012 at 4:21 PM Post #3,491 of 6,777
Quote:
what do you know, after hearing people selling their E17 on amazon for huge profit (I envy the guy who sold his for like $275?? with the full velcro back mod--haha)....I decided to list mine since my main DAPs don't need an amp.  sold on amazon yesterday for $190..about $170 after fees and shipping I think..  not bad :D  Sold my PSP yesterday also--might upgrade to the vita.  or buy an even cheaper psp.

Also, I"m guessing the ibasso D-zero isn't as powerful as the E17.  That can be had right now for about $100 on the for sale..  fyi.  

Little Dot MK1?  MK2?  My curiosity for a real tube amp is starting to get the best of me

I'm thinking of selling mine also for a desktop unit as I'm not using it portably anymore. 

May 20, 2012 at 4:26 PM Post #3,492 of 6,777
ah i see.  what are you looking at?  I should have gotten the little dot mk3 when i had the chance.  

it's kinda weird when I use my E17 as a dac on my computer.  when I watch youtube videos at 720p it says it's 24bit on the E17........  but when I listen to 320kbps songs via foobar2000 and WASAPI, it goes down to 16bit....

May 20, 2012 at 5:34 PM Post #3,493 of 6,777
Just out of curiosity, has anyone compared the Ibasso D-zero with E17? A quick search seems to be lacking any comparison. I am mainly interested in the amp aspect of these two.

May 20, 2012 at 5:37 PM Post #3,494 of 6,777
Quote:
Just out of curiosity, has anyone compared the Ibasso D-zero with E17? A quick search seems to be lacking any comparison. I am mainly interested in the amp aspect of these two.

Yes, it was made to combat the E7, not the E17. There are many reviews on the E17 being better.

May 20, 2012 at 6:28 PM Post #3,495 of 6,777
Hah! I saw yours listed on Amazon Marketplace when I sold mine (I had originally listed mine at like $185-186, underneath your price) and then dropped my price to $180, at which point it sold fairly promptly.

Quote:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back