FiiO E17 "ALPEN" - First Impression + Final Thought
Apr 19, 2012 at 4:18 PM Post #2,911 of 6,777
Just received my E17 today

Just wondering when I use E17 with Foobar using WSAPI SPDIF Interface

i've changed the settings to 96k 24bit in the fiio properties already  but when I play with Foobar it shows up as 48k 16bit on my Fiio screen. 

does this mean i'm not getting the best sound I can?

sorry just a bit confused lol

Apr 19, 2012 at 4:33 PM Post #2,913 of 6,777

Quote:
Just received my E17 today

Just wondering when I use E17 with Foobar using WSAPI SPDIF Interface

i've changed the settings to 96k 24bit in the fiio properties already  but when I play with Foobar it shows up as 48k 16bit on my Fiio screen. 

does this mean i'm not getting the best sound I can?

sorry just a bit confused lol

Well....unless your tracks are over 44.1KHz @ 16bit then technically...

ok to do it while in foobar hit "Ctrl+P" go to "playback" and then the little drop down menu in playback go to "DSP Manager" change the output format to 24bit. Next go to advanced. In Decoding, drop it down and change "Tone/sweep sample rate" to 96000(exactly what I typed). If your computer ever is able to do 192KHz then change that too :)

Plz note there is a bug. If your higher quality songs are not able to play and say "Unrecoverable playback error:Not enough storage is availble to complete this operation" then you have to change the DSP manager output setting to 16bit. This is a bug that has yet to be adressed.

Apr 19, 2012 at 4:59 PM Post #2,914 of 6,777
Thanks for the quick Reply. I did as you said and It still says the same. When I use any other media player it shows as 24bit 96k.

My setting for the E17 is 2 channels, 24 bit, 96000 studio quality. If i switch to DS E17 Plug In instead of WASAPI it shows as 96k 24bit. 
I've been playing FLAC files but to be honest I don't here any difference  in sound quality anyway lol. Thanks for your help 

Quote:

Well....unless your tracks are over 44.1KHz @ 16bit then technically...

ok to do it while in foobar hit "Ctrl+P" go to "playback" and then the little drop down menu in playback go to "DSP Manager" change the output format to 24bit. Next go to advanced. In Decoding, drop it down and change "Tone/sweep sample rate" to 96000(exactly what I typed). If your computer ever is able to do 192KHz then change that too :)

Plz note there is a bug. If your higher quality songs are not able to play and say "Unrecoverable playback error:Not enough storage is availble to complete this operation" then you have to change the DSP manager output setting to 16bit. This is a bug that has yet to be adressed.

Apr 19, 2012 at 5:03 PM Post #2,915 of 6,777
I don't know if this has already been discussed here, but what's the deal with the E17 pricing on amazon? The micca option is selling at 149.99 with 5 bucks for shipping versus 139.99 with free shipping from the MiccaStore website.

Anyone know what's going on there?

Apr 19, 2012 at 5:08 PM Post #2,916 of 6,777

Quote:
Thanks for the quick Reply. I did as you said and It still says the same. When I use any other media player it shows as 24bit 96k.

My setting for the E17 is 2 channels, 24 bit, 96000 studio quality. If i switch to DS E17 Plug In instead of WASAPI it shows as 96k 24bit. 
I've been playing FLAC files but to be honest I don't here any difference  in sound quality anyway lol. Thanks for your help 

I've had computer restarts fix that...IT may not work for you,but it would just out of the blue switch. So you with the E17 using S/PDIF and WASAPI through S/PDIF changed the settings like I said and still no? If when you come back to it tomorrow after a computer restart and it's still not changed then sorry.

The change in that is for people with higher quality songs that want to "technically" hear it in all its glory.

Apr 19, 2012 at 5:10 PM Post #2,917 of 6,777

Quote:
I don't know if this has already been discussed here, but what's the deal with the E17 pricing on amazon? The micca option is selling at 149.99 with 5 bucks for shipping versus 139.99 with free shipping from the MiccaStore website.

That is probably a premium you are paying for Amazon. There are customers that like to return stuff and you have to pay Amazon and what not to put it up and a lot more stuff. Bascically they just introduced a middleman...and want to make money.

Apr 19, 2012 at 5:19 PM Post #2,918 of 6,777
Yeah still a no. Whenever I switch to play a video on Youtube or something it will change back to 96k 32bit. I'll just try the restart thing a few times. Again thanks for the help

Quote:

I've had computer restarts fix that...IT may not work for you,but it would just out of the blue switch. So you with the E17 using S/PDIF and WASAPI through S/PDIF changed the settings like I said and still no? If when you come back to it tomorrow after a computer restart and it's still not changed then sorry.

The change in that is for people with higher quality songs that want to "technically" hear it in all its glory.

Apr 19, 2012 at 5:22 PM Post #2,919 of 6,777

Quote:
Yeah still a no. Whenever I switch to play a video on Youtube or something it will change back to 96k 32bit. I'll just try the restart thing a few times. Again thanks for the help

32bit...the highest the e17 supports or will display is 24bit.

Maybe WASAPI is having trouble. Remember to restart(close and open) foobar after every setting change.

Just wrote a review on Amazon. Many new headphone people don't know about site's like these so a quick write up will help. I included short stuff consumers need to know, an short audiophile actual sound section and a Tips section to get started on frequent questions.

Apr 19, 2012 at 6:53 PM Post #2,920 of 6,777

Quote:

Standard price gouging that happens when a new product is insanely popular. As more E17s ship and stock fills up at all U.S. Fiio dealers prices will fall.

Apr 19, 2012 at 9:09 PM Post #2,921 of 6,777
Initial impressions...through yamaha eph100

Noticable improvement from onboard sound. Bass is a lot tighter, clarity and detail are improved. Compared to the onboard sound the music seems to have less warmth but I'm thinking it's just an effect of the sound being less muddled together. Bass impact seems to be lessened but a +2dB EQ adjustment brought it back to a good level for me on hiphop and electronic tracks. Mids were tight and vocals were quite forward, The mids seem to be the more dominant range so far. Treble seemed more detailed but I wasn't fatigued, the presentation was still quite laid back. Not sure if that was more the earphones or the E17's presentation at this stage.

Soundstage width is increased but I would say the depth seems to be slightly less. Instrument seperation seems about the same although the extra soundstage width can sometimes seem to increase this with certain tracks. I kept looking out the window to my left on a NiN track that had something like footsteps set way out in the left of the soundstage which was pretty cool.

I found with the Yamaha's there was a very, very faint hiss. The background isn't completely silent but I really had to hunt for it. It didn't impact listening to music at all. This didn't seem to alter regardless of the gain or volume setting so maybe it was noise from something else? I had a play with the gain settings 0dB has plenty to drive these IEM's. Volume was plenty adequate for me in the low 20's. 6dB Gain I was listening at 16-18. The 6db gain seemed warmer and more pleasant to my ear but that might be a volume matching issue rather than anything particularly substantive.

I need to spend a lot more time listening to it and trying some different phones etc but as an entry level DAC/Amp I haven't found anything glaring that would make me want to send it back so far.

Apr 19, 2012 at 9:45 PM Post #2,922 of 6,777
Has anybody had problems getting 96k / 24bit output from a Mac?  I have a new generation Macbook Air, and when I go to "audio midi setup" to change to 96/24 I lose all sound.  I have to unplug the dac and reset the settings back to 48/16 to get any sound.  Thoughts?

96k / 24bit works fine on my other (Windows) laptop, so I know the e17 isn't faulty.

Apr 19, 2012 at 10:30 PM Post #2,923 of 6,777
No problem on my 2009 MacMini. Just purchased Hotel California & Rumours 96/24 from HDTracks.  Because iTunes doesn't do Flac, I used XLD to convert it to Apple Lossless and they play quite nicely. 
Also used Decibel to play.  Nice thing about Decibel is that it plays at native resolution.  If source is 24/96, I see 96K 24bit on the E17, if I play 16/44.1, I see 48K 16Bit on the FiiO (known quirk)

Just did the same test on my 2011 MacBook Air iTunes and Decibel) .. exactly the same results, no problems at all.
Could it be your cable?? Just guessing.

Quote:
Has anybody had problems getting 96k / 24bit output from a Mac?  I have a new generation Macbook Air, and when I go to "audio midi setup" to change to 96/24 I lose all sound.  I have to unplug the dac and reset the settings back to 48/16 to get any sound.  Thoughts?

96k / 24bit works fine on my other (Windows) laptop, so I know the e17 isn't faulty.

Apr 19, 2012 at 11:09 PM Post #2,925 of 6,777

Quote:
No problem on my 2009 MacMini. Just purchased Hotel California & Rumours 96/24 from HDTracks.  Because iTunes doesn't do Flac, I used XLD to convert it to Apple Lossless and they play quite nicely. 
Also used Decibel to play.  Nice thing about Decibel is that it plays at native resolution.  If source is 24/96, I see 96K 24bit on the E17, if I play 16/44.1, I see 48K 16Bit on the FiiO (known quirk)

Just did the same test on my 2011 MacBook Air iTunes and Decibel) .. exactly the same results, no problems at all.
Could it be your cable?? Just guessing.

I used the same cable on my other computer, but I'll try another one just to see.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back