Fender IEM (Aurisonics) Impressions, Reviews & Discussions Thread
May 8, 2012 at 10:16 PM Post #241 of 6,413
Quote:
Oh yeah, clearly. That's just dumb.

Although I have to say that's kind of what I did with the W3, I only owned it for a week and it spent 3 of those days back in the box making sure it didn't get damaged and was resellable 
tongue.gif
 But it had such recessed mids that I knew it couldn't possibly be for me right from the get-go..

We've all done that (except jrkong).

I just didn't want to post a reaction, but yeah, we all have them and hey, sometimes you know it's not going to work out right off the bat and sometimes you find out after you move in together...

May 8, 2012 at 11:28 PM Post #243 of 6,413
Quote:
We've all done that (except jrkong).

I just didn't want to post a reaction, but yeah, we all have them and hey, sometimes you know it's not going to work out right off the bat and sometimes you find out after you move in together...

Yup I've never really had the time to do first impressions and when I do they tend to become a mini review. I also find myself changing the final review a lot near the end of the review so I just hold off and wait until I'm ready to publish the final review.

May 8, 2012 at 11:30 PM Post #244 of 6,413
Kunlun, I wasn't really upset with you. You should know this sir. When you're ready we will be ready 
beerchug.gif

May 9, 2012 at 12:44 AM Post #246 of 6,413
Normally, I will get an idea of how a pair of headphones will sound after 50 hours of burn in (which is about 10 hours of actual personal use; 40 hours actual burn in).  They rarely change enough to change any properties after that.  However, once in a blue moon, one comes up and demonstrates that, "hey, I'm still changing!  I just bloom late".  The three main headphones that come to mind here are the:
  1. Dunu Hephaes, changed the most during the first 200 hours.  I couldn't listen one day and then the next and hear the same stuff.
  2. ASG-1: Treble changes around the 120 hour mark startled me.  Continued up to the 170 hour mark.
  3. Etymotic HF2: Treble changes post 200-250 hours came out of nowhere.  I think I just missed them before (EG, they changed before the 200 hour mark, I just didn't notice).  This change was not large enough to change any properties, they are still aggressive (although slightly less now).  This is an IEM that isn't heard to change a lot.

Most, if not all my IEMs change somewhere in the first 50 hours, I don't think I've heard one that hasn't.  I won't speak of the cause of such change, as that still needs more research...

May 10, 2012 at 5:14 AM Post #247 of 6,413
Finally picked up my AS-1b from cherns today! Burning em in now as I speak... these are the 1.2 revisions with the filter pad. As some chaps have mentioned previously, it won't be fair to offer any early impressions as yet. Basic signature does seem a bit more refined than the ASG-1, but not terribly far off. All I can say is... give it some time... and EQ. 

Bass ports work a charm, have them opened all the way up cos that's how I roll. Not really hearing external sounds through the ambient ports - even with the ports open it still feels as isolated as with the ports closed. It'll probably help in a packed venue with a noisy stage, but most of the time I'll be playing on a quiet stage (oddly enough). Might help with feeling the audience but I'm no rockstar so I'm not sure how things will turn out ambience-wise. Hopefully I'll be able to return to the stage soon and offer a musician's perspective on these IEMs, which seems to be somewhat lacking at present. It does feel like the ambient ports affect bass response, so I foresee a lot of tweaking of ports in the next few days.

OK, enough from me. Back to enjoying my AS-1bs!! Hopefully I can do a more detailed review in a few weeks' time after they've burned in a bit and after my ears have become accustomed to the signature and fit.

May 10, 2012 at 6:45 AM Post #248 of 6,413
I have just received my ASG-1.2. Beware. Lol, kidding.
I'll post impressions later!

May 11, 2012 at 11:36 AM Post #249 of 6,413
Here are my impressions of the ASG-1.2 at 20 hours. I am using the stock large dual-flange tips.
-Strong, impressive, clean bass. Less body compared to the IE 80.
-Warm (!), clear, detailed mids. I am shocked the first time I heard it. It is not what I thought it was when I was reading other's impressions. It is very clear and detailed and warmish, but not pronounced.
-Treble is smooth and somewhat recessed. It is perfect for long-term listening. For me, quantity is perfect. It is like 1-2 dB less than IE 80 treble overall.
-Soundstage isn't as huge as the IE 80, but sounds more organic.
-Instruments sound very close to reality. Strings have a nice body, but lack top-end sparkle. Pianos are great.

May 11, 2012 at 11:51 AM Post #250 of 6,413
Quote:
Here are my impressions of the ASG-1.2 at 20 hours. I am using the stock large dual-flange tips.
-Strong, impressive, clean bass. Less body compared to the IE 80.
-Warm (!), clear, detailed mids. I am shocked the first time I heard it. It is not what I thought it was when I was reading other's impressions. It is very clear and detailed and warmish, but not pronounced.
-Treble is smooth and somewhat recessed. It is perfect for long-term listening. For me, quantity is perfect. It is like 1-2 dB less than IE 80 treble overall.
-Soundstage isn't as huge as the IE 80, but sounds more organic.
-Instruments sound very close to reality. Strings have a nice body, but lack top-end sparkle. Pianos are great.

So with that description you must love them? They have a lot more to come with burn in as well if anything like the originals. I am surprised how different you describe them to my 1.1s!

May 11, 2012 at 12:58 PM Post #252 of 6,413
Pretty much, yes.
I am surprised as well. Just seeing the graph differences, I didn't expect a lot of changes. I expected much more upfront, lively and maybe fatiguing mids. But it may be more refined and much more neutral and maybe more natural. They won't impress you at your first listen, but just be patient.. they'll grow on you and you'll love them!

What did you experience with burn in? At what hour did you experience the most changes?
Quote:
So with that description you must love them? They have a lot more to come with burn in as well if anything like the originals. I am surprised how different you describe them to my 1.1s!

May 11, 2012 at 2:11 PM Post #253 of 6,413
Quote:
Pretty much, yes.
I am surprised as well. Just seeing the graph differences, I didn't expect a lot of changes. I expected much more upfront, lively and maybe fatiguing mids. But it may be more refined and much more neutral and maybe more natural. They won't impress you at your first listen, but just be patient.. they'll grow on you and you'll love them!

What did you experience with burn in? At what hour did you experience the most changes?

Nice to hear! I am just sticking with the 1.1s as i love them like this and do have some filter material on the way to change them up a bit. Did you ever have the 1.1s?

Bass should not change that more and maybe a slight bit more quantity. The mids got more controlled until 100 hours and 100-120 hours a slight bit of treble sparkle appears. There will be differences to you as the mids are already a lot more controlled etc.

May 11, 2012 at 3:26 PM Post #254 of 6,413
No, I did not have the 1.1s.

Yes, the mids are already controlled, although they could use some veil-lifting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back