Fender IEM (Aurisonics) Impressions, Reviews & Discussions Thread
May 8, 2012 at 11:01 AM Post #226 of 6,413
Mine is at it's tipping point. But i managed to get Swimmers Ear last week so i'm kinda glad they arent here yet, as it would hurt just to have them in.
Quote:
Just over a month...I don't think my patience will last

May 8, 2012 at 11:49 AM Post #228 of 6,413
Yea, pains mostly gone, hopefully completely gone by the time they arrive. otherwise i'll just be taking pictures and crying by myself...
Quote:
That would've been brutal to have them right there but you can't use them

May 8, 2012 at 1:00 PM Post #231 of 6,413
Quote:
I just got the AS-1b ver 1.2.

I'll be burning it in and getting a good sense of it over the next few weeks. Then, I'll write a review.

Any major differences you noticed right away? I know you listened to it a little bit, catman!! LOL

May 8, 2012 at 6:03 PM Post #233 of 6,413
Ha ha, you guys! You know, I hate first impressions when they are like "I listened for thirty seconds and came to head-fi!" Because those are way subject to change and tend to be overly good or overly bad.

I actually got them a few days back (my concept of "just got" may be different than others'). I'll give a first impression soon.

May 8, 2012 at 6:18 PM Post #234 of 6,413
frown.gif
 @ Kunlun

May 8, 2012 at 7:21 PM Post #235 of 6,413
Quote:
Ha ha, you guys! You know, I hate first impressions when they are like "I listened for thirty seconds and came to head-fi!" Because those are way subject to change and tend to be overly good or overly bad.
I actually got them a few days back (my concept of "just got" may be different than others'). I'll give a first impression soon.

Actually, I don't think I ever made them myself

May 8, 2012 at 7:22 PM Post #236 of 6,413
Quote:

I'll agree with everything you said...  100%.  I normally tend to avoid giving impressions right away (within the first 24 hours).  When I do, I will try to point out positives as well as negatives though. 

I give every IEM I've reviewed every chance under the sun to wow me if they don't, or to shun me if they do (so the bad IEMs, I will listen for the positives since I already hear the apparent negatives; but on good IEMs, I will try to listen for negatives since I know the positives).

May 8, 2012 at 7:36 PM Post #237 of 6,413
lol eric

I am from your same school, though; I like to write up immediate impressions, and then make follow-ups; really I think it gives people a better picture of the IEM because you are sharing how the sound changes with time, assuming its a BNIB pair, and can talk about what its like coming from other IEMs to whatever you are hearing now, which makes a good reference point because I find the longer I listen to a new pair of IEMs and the more I become accustomed to their individual style and presentation, the less drastically different they seem from anything else. When I had (pre-burned-in) W3s for a while, I listened to them so obsessively at first and did so many A/Bs with my MS400 and X10 that after a while it became harder for me to make out some of the basic tonal differences, whereas the differences were IMMEDIATELY obvious to me the very first time I put the W3 in my ears.

There is an inverse to this, I should mention, which is that some of the much more subtle differences in an IEM or headphone's presentation might not make themselves known to you for a while until you've listened to them or burned them in extensively. Still, I think immediate impressions always help in demonstrating what people should expect when they open the box and press play for the first time.

Quote:
frown.gif
 @ Kunlun

May 8, 2012 at 7:43 PM Post #238 of 6,413
Definitely agreed, I think it's always important to temper your expectations when listening to a new IEM. I know that I tend to have much more polarized first reactions to an IEM, partly because I always have a set idea of what I think it will sound like beforehand, and it's either met, exceeded, or fallen short of. However I maintain that those first few hours of listening are kind of special, because we aren't used to the sound yet, and therefore the differences between what we have heard and what we are hearing for the first time seem more drastic.
Quote:

I'll agree with everything you said...  100%.  I normally tend to avoid giving impressions right away (within the first 24 hours).  When I do, I will try to point out positives as well as negatives though. 

I give every IEM I've reviewed every chance under the sun to wow me if they don't, or to shun me if they do (so the bad IEMs, I will listen for the positives since I already hear the apparent negatives; but on good IEMs, I will try to listen for negatives since I know the positives).

May 8, 2012 at 8:03 PM Post #239 of 6,413
:frowning2:  @ Kunlun

Oops, I didn't mean it in a bad way. Turn that frown upside down!

Actually, I don't think I ever made them myself

Actually, I didn't say that you had. Having re-read my comment, I'm not even sure how you got that impression.

lol eric

I am from your same school, though; I like to write up immediate impressions, and then make follow-ups; really I think it gives people a better picture of the IEM because you are sharing how the sound changes with time, assuming its a BNIB pair, and can talk about what its like coming from other IEMs to whatever you are hearing now, which makes a good reference point because I find the longer I listen to a new pair of IEMs and the more I become accustomed to their individual style and presentation, the less drastically different they seem from anything else. When I had (pre-burned-in) W3s for a while, I listened to them so obsessively at first and did so many A/Bs with my MS400 and X10 that after a while it became harder for me to make out some of the basic tonal differences, whereas the differences were IMMEDIATELY obvious to me the very first time I put the W3 in my ears.

There is an inverse to this, I should mention, which is that some of the much more subtle differences in an IEM or headphone's presentation might not make themselves known to you for a while until you've listened to them or burned them in extensively. Still, I think immediate impressions always help in demonstrating what people should expect when they open the box and press play for the first time.

Good and thoughtful points. I think its quite valid to let people know how they sound to you out of the box and how they sound after everything has settled in. Maybe it's the thought one puts into it that makes all the difference. I'd say your approach is worlds away from the fellow who bought an expensive custom, listened for a moment and decided to sell them (made a good deal for someone else though).

May 8, 2012 at 10:06 PM Post #240 of 6,413
Oh yeah, clearly. That's just dumb.

Although I have to say that's kind of what I did with the W3, I only owned it for a week and it spent 3 of those days back in the box making sure it didn't get damaged and was resellable 
tongue.gif
 But it had such recessed mids that I knew it couldn't possibly be for me right from the get-go..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back