Etymotic mc-series (moving-coil based IEMs)
Jan 10, 2010 at 5:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 58

jaibautista

100+ Head-Fier
Jan 10, 2010 at 5:08 AM Post #2 of 58
sweet, looking forward to it
biggrin.gif

Jan 10, 2010 at 5:14 AM Post #4 of 58
These will have to be very very very good to be better than the ER4. They're certainly fatter to fit that coil in. I'd be very very interested to hear them but am sceptical they could come in at the top of the product range. I'd expect them in below the ER6.

Jan 10, 2010 at 5:41 AM Post #5 of 58
Do you think this product line will somewhat veer off the signature Etys SQ?

On the other hand, I think they're finally listening to comments and suggestions by those who own the Etys. While I do not personally own them nor have I tried auditioning them, should they get released I might as well try these 'phones.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 10, 2010 at 6:06 AM Post #7 of 58
wait, they say the hf2, hf3, and hf5 are part of these new IEMs, but aren't those already out?

are they just updating the line?

Jan 10, 2010 at 7:27 AM Post #9 of 58
Can't imagine them being better since they are "less-expensive." Not that price always means quality, but why would the company make something "better" than their 18 year flagship and then sell it for less?

Jan 10, 2010 at 10:07 AM Post #10 of 58
^^Maybe they've managed to improve performance while keeping costs down, a la Moore's Law?

Jan 10, 2010 at 11:41 AM Post #12 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by jaibautista /img/forum/go_quote.gif
On the other hand, I think they're finally listening to comments and suggestions by those who own the Etys. While I do not personally own them nor have I tried auditioning them, should they get released I might as well try these 'phones.
smily_headphones1.gif

I think it's a case of listening to very specific commenters, ie not-audiophiles who can't accept the bass-light nature of Etymotic's sound. Bass + "cheap" MSRP makes this seem like a mass market push.

With that said ... aren't RE0s also moving coil? They aren't exactly bass beasts.

Jan 10, 2010 at 11:57 AM Post #13 of 58
Seriously though, if Etymotic starts selling IEM that doesn't sound like an Ety, I am not sure the Ety fan in me will be happy about it. The house sound is so monumental that any dramatic change will probably being seen as betray of the true-to-sound philosophy.

Jan 10, 2010 at 12:46 PM Post #15 of 58
Well, I think they may maintain the house sound with dynamic driver. RE0 driver used in well-tuned surrounding may get very close to the core of the Ety sound. Probably closer than some Ety models did.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back