Etymotic mc-series (moving-coil based IEMs)
Jan 10, 2010 at 2:55 PM Post #17 of 58
iLounge reports that they continue with the Ety accuracy but with slightly more bass than their current offerings. They might be interesting to try with the S-adapter for some improvement. They should in reality be better than the ER6i but might not be. I think Ety would charge more than $79 if they performed really well, regardless of them being cheaper to manufacture. These could flop and not be any better than other phones like the CK7 or RE2 or Beta Brainwavz that try to be balanced and accurate.

Jan 10, 2010 at 4:26 PM Post #18 of 58
Etymotic trying out dynamic drivers? I'm a little scared, Ety has always been the extreme definition of BA to me.

Jan 11, 2010 at 5:26 PM Post #24 of 58
From what I've read about the driver developments with the Ortofon e-Q7, it sounds like a really similar BA unit. Even the overall shape of the earphone body looks quite similar. Wonder if they're sharing production facilities overseas....

Jan 11, 2010 at 5:57 PM Post #25 of 58
Average_Joe was at CES and he listened to the MC5, and said they compare favorably with the Westone 2, which he also heard at CES. He made the rounds, in fact, and heard a lot of phones. Anyway, he said via email that the MC5 is $79 and $99 (non-mic and mic) and mentioned that the MC5 and the W2 shared sonic qualities, despite being different technology. In either case, he liked both phones very much, he reported. Considering I just bought a used pair of W2, does this mean I have to plunk down $79 more for these Etys (if the sound tube is the same circumference as the ER4P, I can use the UM56 sleeves I have on hand, which is good)? Probably so.

http://www.iphonealley.com/current/e...etooth-headset

Here is the Ety press release from CES

LAS VEGAS - (Business Wire) Etymotic Research, the original inventor of noise-isolating, high-fidelity in-ear earphones, is launching new, lower-cost versions of its hf2™ and hf3™ headsets for iPhone®, Blackberry® and other smartphones, as well as mc5™ earphones for iPod and other music players. The mc-series uses more affordable moving coil drivers, and applies a clever Etymotic acoustic treatment to correct performance issues characteristic of moving coil (also known as dynamic) speakers.

“The mc-series uses a patent-pending, response-shaping method that creates an acoustic side branch to redistribute acoustic energy. This modification results in smoothing the undesirable response peak and compensating for weak highs,” said Mead Killion, Ph.D., CTO and president of Etymotic Research. “Each generation of Etymotic earphones has been designed to meet the needs of different user groups. We feel that better sounding earphones will introduce new, budget-conscious users to the Etymotic sound signature.”

MSRP for the mc3 headset is $99 and the mc5 earphones will be available at retail for $79. Etymotic Research will demonstrate the new mc-series of earphones and earphones at booth #3814 in the iLounge Pavilion in the North Hall at the International Consumer Electronics Show (CES), January 7-10, 2010, in Las Vegas.

Jan 11, 2010 at 6:37 PM Post #26 of 58
Kind of an odd move considering HF5 is so new and already tempers down the hyper detail of the ER4. I was expecting another high-end product from Etymotic to possibly compete with all of the triple drivers that have come out.

Sounds like W2? Interesting...but W2 low profile is unbeatable.

Jan 11, 2010 at 7:18 PM Post #27 of 58
Yeah, I was surprised by his assessment as well. Maybe it was because he listened to them back to back or something. Probably the case. Not saying they are equals, but he was very impressed with the Etys and the W2s, and he's typically a bass guy (IE8, C710, CKS70, etc.), in the good sense of the term.

Jan 12, 2010 at 1:41 AM Post #28 of 58
Man, I'm excited about these. To me this means HF5 with more (natural sounding bass). I already love the current HF5s for detail (sans the lite bass, although there is bass), but to get more bass from a dynamic style Etymotic? Wow! I can't wait.....

EricP

Users who are viewing this thread

Back