Etymotic ER 4?
Sep 1, 2010 at 6:08 PM Post #61 of 103
I didn't heard the ER series specifically but i can give my two cents about the HF5. I recentely bought a pair of hf5 after not using iem's for a long time because of fit issues.  but i must say that these are the most neutral and balanced headphone i heard to date.  I am using the triple flange tips as they are the only ones that stay in my ears, but i really don't have to push them too deep in order to get an optimal sound.
I tries them today in a 2 hours walk outside (in a busy and noisy street) and it was superb.  I didn't feel the triple flanges at all and all i heard was music..nothing else.      
I had the shure se530,se420,and im-590 in the past (also very balanced sounding although not as the ety's and not as good in quality also...well they ARE 50$)  and the HF5 is the best i heard so far,every frequency is on the spot...maybe i could handle a bit more treble and a bit less bass...maybe i should get the ER-4P sometime.   

A question...is there any other IEM brand that has a more neutral sound than ETY's?

Sep 1, 2010 at 7:27 PM Post #62 of 103
^Better than the Shure SE530? I agree... as for your last question, I don't believe any other company strives for the same thing/does enough research to have theirs sound the same. Etymotic literature does hower suggest that electrostatics sound better, but according to them their headphones have the most natural frequency response, and better isolation than any other earphone.

Sep 1, 2010 at 7:38 PM Post #63 of 103

Quote:
I didn't heard the ER series specifically but i can give my two cents about the HF5. I recentely bought a pair of hf5 after not using iem's for a long time because of fit issues.  but i must say that these are the most neutral and balanced headphone i heard to date.  I am using the triple flange tips as they are the only ones that stay in my ears, but i really don't have to push them too deep in order to get an optimal sound.
I tries them today in a 2 hours walk outside (in a busy and noisy street) and it was superb.  I didn't feel the triple flanges at all and all i heard was music..nothing else.      
I had the shure se530,se420,and im-590 in the past (also very balanced sounding although not as the ety's and not as good in quality also...well they ARE 50$)  and the HF5 is the best i heard so far,every frequency is on the spot...maybe i could handle a bit more treble and a bit less bass...maybe i should get the ER-4P sometime.   

A question...is there any other IEM brand that has a more neutral sound than ETY's?

I use a 100 ohm impedance adapter and mini3 amp with my HF5s. They sound even smoother now. A step above my RE0s.

Sep 1, 2010 at 7:43 PM Post #64 of 103
I also have the HF5.You forgot to mention much better build-aluminum tube+thicker cable vs. ER6i-stubby plastic+thin cable and ER4-plastic tube(ends easy-to-break).Otherwise total agreement in sound. Go for  HF5!!

Sep 1, 2010 at 10:30 PM Post #66 of 103
^I did just that if you look up my review of the Mc5 in the product section... I actually purchased both of them just to compare, keeping the Mc5 because of its better value, construction, and almost indistinguishable sound.

Sep 1, 2010 at 10:38 PM Post #67 of 103

Quote:

You want the 'S' or the 'P' w/ the 'S' adapter.  The 'P' is less balanced and refined IMO.  Otherwise keep the HF5 probably.

Sep 2, 2010 at 8:21 AM Post #68 of 103
thanks.  I am so happy  and delighted with my new HF5 that  as soon as i have the money i will definitely get myself a er-4p (or s).  maybe i iwll use the s for my home rig (becuase the needing of an amp) and keep the HF5 for portable use.

anyway...just a little remark from my side.  I have noticed that inserting the triple flange (or any other tip) too deep is making the sound too bassy and without treble resolution,not to mention that your ears get a hard time to stand this.   that's why i am inserting the triple flanges rather shalowly...deep but not too much,  and the sound is perfect!   absolutely perfect!   the highs are amazing and the bass is so deep and tight at the same time.  tha'ts my indication of the sound being right..that's how i know that i am using the HF5 right.

what about you?   did you guys experience the same results as i am regarding the tips insertion?

Sep 2, 2010 at 8:31 AM Post #69 of 103
Don't push it, don't force it, let it happen naturally.

Sep 2, 2010 at 9:03 AM Post #70 of 103
Posted the below observations in the HF5 appreciation thread too, as I think both these threads might benefit.

Just got my HF5s this morning.  Previously, I had the ER4P with S adaptor, but sold it off to 'upgrade' to the CK10 (which I then regretted).  Have since moved on to the SM3, so have bought the HF5 on a whim really.

Got to say, the design of these is better than memory of the ER4 - smaller, less plasticky, easier to insert and get a fit due to size, and very comfortable indeed.  The stock silicone triples (larger size) appear to be a different colour to the ones I used to use as well, and might just be my defective recall, but they seem less 'itchy' than the old ones.  The cable seems ok, with little microphonics as far as I can guage, but then I do seem to have far less issues with microphonics than some of you more delicate, sensitive souls.

Soundwise, its interesting to compare the HF4s to both the ER4P and the SM3.  Only managed to grab cursory listens so far, but the trademark Ety clarity is there in full force - virtually crystal clear reproduction of both instrumens and vocals, with excellent separation and a decentish soundstage. Stands up remarkably well to the ER4s in my view, but again thats from memory.  Certainly, the micro detailing is very finely etched, and lifelike, as if you're in the room with the performers.  This area is where the HF5s win out over the SM3, if you ask me.  With the latter, there's a tad less definition that is only really noticeable when ABing from the Earsonics to the Etys. 

I was worried the bass on the HF5s would as comparitively downsized as ER4P, but from what I can tell, Ety have managed to squeeze more out of their cheaper (half the price) model. Of course, the SM3 does bass much better, going deeper and with more bite and reverb, but from the few tracks I've been listening to on the HF5, I'd say it goes deep enough and has enough impact for anyone who wants a nice balanced sound instead of a bottom heavy thumping bbbbbeast. Balanced is the word when it comes to the HF5, I think, with a nice shimmer up top, solid, detailed and unrecessed mids and tightly controlled bass down below.  Nothing sticks out like a sore thumb, and coherence is optimal (as it should be with single BAs).

Isolation is the usual Ety incredible - not much to report beyond saying both the HF5 and the ER4 block out virtually all extraneous noise, leaving just you and the music to get acquainted.  That has its pros and cons when out and about, but on the whole I can live without hearing annoying people make annoying noises in public.  Know what I mean? So top marks there.

In a toss up between the two Ety models, I'd actually say the HF5s are the way to go if you're travelling unamped.  They drive perfectly via my J3, sound virtually identical to the ER4P, are better built, and crucially cost half the price.  Got my ruby coloured ones for £67 here in the Uk, whereas you won't find the ER4P for less than £140 over here.  That represents a steal of a bargain in my book, especially if budgets and wallets are tight.

When weighing the HF5 against the SM3 though, its a different story, perhaps understandably.  The forensic detailing of the Ety signature definitely appeals to my finer sensibilites, but the Earsonics blast the HF5s out the water into deep space with their 3 dimensionality of presentation, their wiiiide soundstage, and the sense they give you of having just poked your head into the middle of the music, like an astronaut donning a sonic helmet  Hows that for an awkwardly segued metaphor? But its true - the immersion that the SM3s offer, even though they sacrifice isolation, build quality and lots more cash,  is too big an obstacle ultimately for the Etys to climb over. 

Thats in no way a denigration of the HF5s.  At two hundred and thirty quid cheaper, I wouldn't expect them to trump the SM3. That they don't is not rocket science. Instead, they offer an alternative sound signature, and one that may well suit your own personal tastes and pockets better. At their price, they represent a killer investment and I'm glad I returned to a brand I'd left behind. It feels like slipping old boots off after a long day.

Sep 2, 2010 at 11:06 AM Post #71 of 103

Quote:
thanks.  I am so happy  and delighted with my new HF5 that  as soon as i have the money i will definitely get myself a er-4p (or s).  maybe i iwll use the s for my home rig (becuase the needing of an amp) and keep the HF5 for portable use.

anyway...just a little remark from my side.  I have noticed that inserting the triple flange (or any other tip) too deep is making the sound too bassy and without treble resolution,not to mention that your ears get a hard time to stand this.   that's why i am inserting the triple flanges rather shalowly...deep but not too much,  and the sound is perfect!   absolutely perfect!   the highs are amazing and the bass is so deep and tight at the same time.  tha'ts my indication of the sound being right..that's how i know that i am using the HF5 right.

what about you?   did you guys experience the same results as i am regarding the tips insertion?

Loved the triple flanges until I discovered the COmply tips with screens--100X I believe or some number like that.  Very soft and comfortable and the filter screens mean I have to change those Ety filters less.

But you're right: push those triflanges in too deeply and not only do your ears itch after awhile, but the sound is really degraded

Sep 2, 2010 at 11:22 AM Post #72 of 103
The ER4 is one of those earphones you buy to know what "good" is.  It's a reference product that most people should own at least once in their head-fi hobby.

From today's standpoint the ER4 does show its age in the sense that there are so many multi-driver earphones out there that simply cover the entire frequency spectrum better.  Etymotic really does need to invest in a multi-driver flagship at some point.  A single BA driver simply can't produce the entire spectrum well.  There is always a sacrifice on the low end, high end, or both.  The e-Q7 might be the closest thing to covering the whole spectrum well with one BA driver, but nothing really compares to what a well implemented two driver setup can do.  An example is Audio Technica's CK90Pro.  It doesn't roll off on either end.  It isn't limited on either end.  It can only do that because it's a dual driver configuration.  The ER4 suffers on both ends, and there's no way to avoid that running just one driver.  I want to see a dual driver option from Etymotic, Phonak, and at least Sleek is coming out with their SA7.  There companies make some stellar single BA options, but they really are left in the dust with the slew of dual and triple driver options out there as well as some very good dynamic driver earphones.  It's not that the ER4 is bad.  It is simply at a competitive disadvantage.

I have a tough time telling anyone to buy the ER4.  It's an outstanding product, but I seldom see a situation to suggest it as the best option versus the array of what's out there.  The ER4 actually does a lot of things better, but at the same time the person buying one would have to justify letting go of everything below 60Hz and everything above 12kHz.  One saving grace is that the ER4 has gotten cheaper and is priced ok for what they offer in the current sea of competition.  I'd just rather suggest options that are less limited.

Sep 2, 2010 at 12:33 PM Post #74 of 103

Quote:
The ER4 actually does a lot of things better, but at the same time the person buying one would have to justify letting go of everything below 60Hz and everything above 12kHz. 

Even if that were true of Etys, very little acoustic music has any significant energy at all below 60 Hz or above 12 KHz (which is in any case the upper limit of what old farts like me can hear.) If you're listening to acoustically produced sounds- which is what Etys are meant for- getting the midrange right is 95+% of the game.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back