Etymotic ER 4?
Mar 26, 2011 at 2:09 AM Post #91 of 103
Unless GR10 is significantly more detail sounding the e-Q5/e-Q7, I find it hard to believe any IEM can really 'upgrade' the ER4 sound. Then again, an ER4S out of Stepdance is one of those rig I don't find anything needs to be changed :D

Mar 26, 2011 at 10:43 AM Post #92 of 103
GR10 has 90% of the detail ER4 has but is much more dynamic sounding  and musical and can handle busier passages than the ER4....unless using an amp of course.  I see ER4 best for classical, acoustic or strictly reference listening.

Apr 16, 2011 at 1:14 AM Post #94 of 103
Just got my er4p 3days ago, I was so impressed by this little iem, it has so much details!!! From my memory(I don't have a chance to make a derect copmarison cos I've sold them), its detail is better than any iem I've owned, although its bass is not much as many, but its enough for many music genres. The soundstage is quite a magic, it has a small soundstage but you will never feel congested. Its now become my favourate iem.

Apr 16, 2011 at 9:26 AM Post #95 of 103
They're still the IEM with most isolation "-42db with foam". Also, they're one of the most detailed IEMs on the market :p

Dec 25, 2012 at 1:26 PM Post #100 of 103
Very relevant, I find it difficult to move to another IEM, all sound 'manipulated' in one way or another against the ER4S! There are other factors concerning crossover problems and channel imbalance that you don't have to worry about with the Ety's. The isolation is also unsurpassed. I've had some magical moment with them over the years, more wow moments than any other headphone. Bought and sold a couple of sets, added an aftermarket cable that made the microphonics worse :xf_eek: ! I've fallen for the CIEM hype a few times and while they do a lot of things differently I would not place them above the ER4 in a poll, if you consider value for money in the equation. I have recently bought the T1-live hoping it would replace the ety and it has sat unused as I value neutrality over most other things. If I could have any one earphone on a desert island it would most definitely be the ER4S (or maybe B).

Dec 25, 2012 at 2:06 PM Post #101 of 103
Quote:
Are they still relevant today or are there better alternatives for a neutral sound?

Excellent value for money imo - annoying microphonics but good sound and the highs are just straight out amazing with female vocals. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back