Etymotic ER 4?
Aug 19, 2010 at 12:17 PM Post #31 of 103

Quote:
All the way i.e. even the outermost flange is just inside your ear canal (this is essential for a proper seal, optimal sound, and maximum isolation.) They're not long enough to do damage. But of course not everybody can get comfortable with this.

What about the body of the ER4s?  

Looking at this picture, it looks like quite a bit of it goes in...does anyone here get them that deep? 

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v127/intrigue/?action=view&current=ER4P_user.jpg

Although I suppose I'll find out in a few hours, as mine will be getting here today
ksc75smile.gif

Aug 19, 2010 at 12:46 PM Post #33 of 103
Yup, pretty much as far as you can get 'em in.(Look at Ety's instructions for how to manage this.) Not necessarily for the faint of heart.:wink: But if you can get used to it you get the best possible sound out of them plus isolation almost in the class of industrial hearing protection. I'm looking forward to my first plane flight with the MC5s.

Aug 19, 2010 at 1:31 PM Post #34 of 103
I wish I could get mine in as deep as his! In fact mine don't even go in half as deep!!! That's probably the reason why I don't hear the bass. 
triportsad.gif

Quote:

Looking at this picture, it looks like quite a bit of it goes in...does anyone here get them that deep? 

Although I suppose I'll find out in a few hours, as mine will be getting here today
ksc75smile.gif

Aug 19, 2010 at 5:13 PM Post #36 of 103

Quote:
vep mine go in that for.  olives mreally helped alot, i just couldnt get on with the tri flanges.

ER4 with tri flanges = Ear Rape 4

Definitely. I put them in, didn't like it.
Cut it for a Bi-Flange; didn't like it.
Put the foams in. Looked around. Thought I was deaf. Listened to music and loved it.

Aug 19, 2010 at 5:17 PM Post #37 of 103
Well it's a good thing I can handle triple flanges as I use them on all my earphones now.

However after the ear impressions I took yesterday I think triple flanges are nothing :p

Aug 19, 2010 at 5:41 PM Post #38 of 103

Quote:

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v127/intrigue/?action=view&current=ER4P_user.jpg

ksc75smile.gif

Yup, mine go in till the stress relief touches my ear.  I would also like to note that any discomfort you feel is not actually the IEM itself but the synergy of your tip choice w/ the driver housing.  All about the tips.

Aug 19, 2010 at 5:42 PM Post #39 of 103

Quote:
vep mine go in that for.  olives mreally helped alot, i just couldnt get on with the tri flanges.

ER4 with tri flanges = Ear Rape 4

Agreed.  Something like the Japanese in Nanking.

Aug 19, 2010 at 10:00 PM Post #40 of 103
Lucky to have customs that work with the Etys, but they stick out a mile, so I use them mainly for home listening (use the DBAs on the go and at home). I may try the black foamies, the Ety ones, just for kicks. But since I have custom sleeves, why not? They sound great with the UM56s.

Aug 19, 2010 at 10:47 PM Post #41 of 103
Here is a bit of interesting info from Etymotic about custom eartips for any Etymotic IEMs.

http://www.etymotic.com/customfit/index.html

At Canjam the Ety people were talking about a new program they have where you get custom eartips for $100.  Basically, you register your IEM using the product above and they'll send you a voucher.  You take the voucher to an authorized audiologist, they take your earmolds, and you get custom tips a few weeks later.

At $100 it's quite a bit cheaper than paying for impressions + UM56.  Plus, since this is an Etymotic program you know it'll work with any Etymotic products.

That way you don't have to r@&3 your ear which is pretty much what happened when I tried the ER4 w/triple flanges at Canjam.

Aug 20, 2010 at 12:37 AM Post #42 of 103
Well these came in a few hours ago, I'm still listening and figuring out their sound signature, but I'm wondering - did I get an old version?  The cable has the red/blue (not the black like on amazon) and it doesn't have the braiding like in this pic:

Aug 20, 2010 at 12:46 AM Post #43 of 103
Yeah, if you didn't get what in the picture (black with braided cable) then it means you get the older version. Some people actually like the red and blue cable!

Aug 20, 2010 at 4:28 AM Post #44 of 103
You sure about that?  I've had 2 ER4-Ss and I'm pretty sure I read the 'S' comes w/ red and blue.  The cable is braided and sleeved up to the Resistor.  After the resistor its unbraided double wire.  Did you get the 'P' or 'S' David?

Aug 20, 2010 at 4:56 AM Post #45 of 103
Is there any way to convert a ER4S to ER4P or can it only be done the other way around? I'm asking because I can get an S quite cheaply but dont want to bother with an amp again after I sold my Headstage Arrow to fund a Cowon J3.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back