Etymotic ER 4?
Aug 20, 2010 at 5:08 AM Post #46 of 103
Quote:
You sure about that?  I've had 2 ER4-Ss and I'm pretty sure I read the 'S' comes w/ red and blue.  The cable is braided and sleeved up to the Resistor.  After the resistor its unbraided double wire.  Did you get the 'P' or 'S' David?

Yes, you are right. I totally forget about that and assumed David is asking about 4P.

Quote:
Is there any way to convert a ER4S to ER4P or can it only be done the other way around? I'm asking because I can get an S quite cheaply but dont want to bother with an amp again after I sold my Headstage Arrow to fund a Cowon J3.

The only way to do it is by swapping the cable, but getting an aftermarket 4P cable (Ety doesn't sell cable alone) will cost a lot so it is not practical.

Aug 20, 2010 at 6:52 AM Post #47 of 103
Push them deep inside the ear canaL??? Can't agree with this.  I've owned mine for years--back when they cost about $350==and I use Comply tips or Shure Olives.  Don't need deep insertion at all.  Only drawback to them is those little filters that you hve to change regularly; that can be avoided if you use the new Comply 100X with built-in filters.

I've had about ten higher-end IEMs but currently use only ER4P and UM3X as my IEMs of choice

Aug 20, 2010 at 10:21 AM Post #48 of 103

Quote:
Push them deep inside the ear canaL??? Can't agree with this.  I've owned mine for years--back when they cost about $350==and I use Comply tips or Shure Olives.  Don't need deep insertion at all.  Only drawback to them is those little filters that you hve to change regularly; that can be avoided if you use the new Comply 100X with built-in filters.

I've had about ten higher-end IEMs but currently use only ER4P and UM3X as my IEMs of choice

Haven't tried those but the for me the sound (MC5) with the Ety foam tips is not as clear and balanced as the triflanges (and the new "gliders" sound awful). The triflanges are worth it for those who can deal with them (which I realize is not everybody).

Aug 20, 2010 at 3:09 PM Post #50 of 103
I don't think the gliders are new anymore. It was like a year or longer that they made those. They sent me a sample around the time they came out but I did not like them at all. They made wearing the ER6i I had at that time pretty awkward to wear since they would stick out much more than I was used to.

Aug 20, 2010 at 8:20 PM Post #52 of 103

Quote:
They're fantastic IF you're after speed, neutrality, and pure accuracy. 

They're overpriced junk IF you place no value in those sonic attributes.

Definitely this. I could only listen to classical or acoustic music with these; anything else with a lot of "body" to the music just didn't sound good on these phones. Going to the Ss and EQing them gave me a little room to play but it was really restricted by the sig of the Etys. 

Aug 30, 2010 at 2:56 PM Post #53 of 103
Well, I just bit the bullet today on a pair of 4S's. I will only be using them with an amp so am happy with the choice.

I remembered that it was reading a review of these by Ken Kessler many years ago in HiFi news that got me interested in in ear headphones. I could not afford them at the time but I got these on Amazon for $170 so could not pass it up!

I love my ie8's and I know these are completly different animals which is why I think I will like them.

These are the ones that started it all I feel so it is good to at last own a pair, they should be here by next week, can't wait!

I read earlier that the 'S" version still come witht he seperate red and blue earpieces, is this correct or are the new ones all black like the "P" version?

Aug 30, 2010 at 3:06 PM Post #55 of 103

Quote:
'S' still red and blue.  I actually like that better.

Thats great, I agree, it is much easier to tell right from left! Did they upgrade the cable on the 4s as well like the 4p or was that left alone?
Thanks so much for your help!

Aug 30, 2010 at 3:41 PM Post #57 of 103
Aug 30, 2010 at 4:04 PM Post #58 of 103

Quote:
Well, I just bit the bullet today on a pair of 4S's. I will only be using them with an amp so am happy with the choice.

I remembered that it was reading a review of these by Ken Kessler many years ago in HiFi news that got me interested in in ear headphones. I could not afford them at the time but I got these on Amazon for $170 so could not pass it up!

I love my ie8's and I know these are completly different animals which is why I think I will like them.

These are the ones that started it all I feel so it is good to at last own a pair, they should be here by next week, can't wait!

I read earlier that the 'S" version still come witht he seperate red and blue earpieces, is this correct or are the new ones all black like the "P" version?

Nice, I've been enjoying mine the past 2 weeks or so.  I'm sure for the price, now, you can get something with a wider sound stage, better sound sig (as clean, but with slightly more bass presence), but I'm starting to think of the Etys as the total package - you get a solid, replaceable cable, 2 year warranty / great customer service, great isolation, and great sounding iems as well...I've just never met something that makes my K701s sound like bass monsters by comparison. 

I canceled my DBA02 preorder after waiting about 5 weeks just to try them, and I'm very glad I did!  These are definitely keepers, and do some things very well..

Aug 30, 2010 at 4:18 PM Post #59 of 103

Quote:

Nice, I've been enjoying mine the past 2 weeks or so.  I'm sure for the price, now, you can get something with a wider sound stage, better sound sig (as clean, but with slightly more bass presence), but I'm starting to think of the Etys as the total package - you get a solid, replaceable cable, 2 year warranty / great customer service, great isolation, and great sounding iems as well...I've just never met something that makes my K701s sound like bass monsters by comparison. 

I canceled my DBA02 preorder after waiting about 5 weeks just to try them, and I'm very glad I did!  These are definitely keepers, and do some things very well..

I love your quote about the K701's, I have a pair as well! I used to have the ER6i's and agree the customer service is spot on, great folks to do business with! I am glad your enjoying yours!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back