ETHER 2: Impressions and Discussion
Dec 10, 2018 at 9:18 PM Post #991 of 3,213
Cheers Dan!

Don’t know if the ones I heard in Fujiya’s Autumn Festival on 27-28th Oct & the one in Emilai’s exhibit in the Fujiya store back on 24th Nov were a subset of the 12 but looking forward to giving the Ether 2 another listen.

Dec 10, 2018 at 9:22 PM Post #992 of 3,213
Cheers Dan!

Don’t know if the ones I heard in Fujiya’s Autumn Festival on 27-28th Oct & the one in Emilai’s exhibit in the Fujiya store back on 24th Nov were a subset of the 12 but looking forward to giving the Ether 2 another listen.

At Fujiya the demo units didn't show up so the only unit we had was a pre-production unit I had grabbed at random to take with me on the trip. That was not a production driver...

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Dec 11, 2018 at 2:56 PM Post #993 of 3,213
Same story here. May I ask, how is your ECF 1.1 set up? Pads? Which damping?

I've been wandering around trying to find the 'best' combo, and going back and forth between angled pads and e-stat pads. Can't decide. I'm getting a second Vivo cable next week so I can more easily compare the two (EFO 1.1 E2).

Very curious to hear your comparison between these two. I sold my Ether C Flow 1.1's to pick up a pair of Ether 2's and now I am not sure if I made the right choice. I am thinking about going back because there was something special about those closed backs. I am A Bing the E2's with my Aeon closed and find subtle differences but a greater sense of cohesiveness with the Aeons. I also seem to get lost in the music more easily with the Aeons.

Reference: Im using the black foam in the Aeons, driving both out of a WA7tp

Best,

Keith

Dec 11, 2018 at 4:31 PM Post #994 of 3,213
Very curious to hear your comparison between these two. I sold my Ether C Flow 1.1's to pick up a pair of Ether 2's and now I am not sure if I made the right choice...
EFO vs EFC probably pretty different, and less directly comparable to E2, since the

I gave a brief listen last night E2 vs EFO 1.1 (with black foam, white 1.1 inserts, angled pads). The Bryston BHA-1 is great for this, as with an adapter I can have both sets plugged in at the same time and switch back and forth.

Pretty close tonally. But there's just a bunch of small differences, all of which seem to favor E2.

I'll do some more listening and post some detailed comparisons in the next few days. I'll also switch back to the e-stat pads and provide those comparisons.

Dec 11, 2018 at 5:04 PM Post #996 of 3,213
A few people early on commented the E2s sounded muffled in the midrange, which should not be the case. The headphone should have full, powerful bass and warm but detailed and lifelike vocals. We investigated and found an anomaly our tests didn't pick up that could result in inadequate upper-midrange to lower treble output after burn-in is complete. We have re-designed our test fixtures and processes and this issue will not get past us again.

We identified around 12 units we suspect are impacted (we got one back and it was OK while another had a confirmed issue) and we're directly contacting affected owners or shops that sold them to check up on them and service if needed. Just to be cautious I wanted to post a note here in case anyone had an issue we couldn't predict from our review of production tests. If you feel your headphone's midrange is muffled and flat contact info@mrspeakers.com and be sure to include your serial number so we can check the data.

If you haven't heard from us and don't feel your midrange is muffled your headphone is fine, this issue has a very specific effect. Our apologies to anyone we inconvenienced with this error.
Great service, as usual, Dan.

Dec 11, 2018 at 6:52 PM Post #997 of 3,213
EFO vs EFC probably pretty different, and less directly comparable to E2, since the

I gave a brief listen last night E2 vs EFO 1.1 (with black foam, white 1.1 inserts, angled pads). The Bryston BHA-1 is great for this, as with an adapter I can have both sets plugged in at the same time and switch back and forth.

Pretty close tonally. But there's just a bunch of small differences, all of which seem to favor E2.

I'll do some more listening and post some detailed comparisons in the next few days. I'll also switch back to the e-stat pads and provide those comparisons.

Would you say that someone who preferred the ether c flow (like myself) to the open would find the E2 an upgrade from the closed? Or would you consider it a companion headphone? One open and one closed to rule them all so to say!

Keith

Dec 11, 2018 at 7:40 PM Post #998 of 3,213
Thanks to @Ultrainferno for their in depth review of the ETHER 2 #headphone!

"It’s a weird thing to say, but the Ether 2 is a wonderful headphone that I enjoy coming home to after a long and hard day at work."

https://bit.ly/2QJ5H80

Last edited:
Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Dec 11, 2018 at 7:58 PM Post #1,000 of 3,213
Would you say that someone who preferred the ether c flow (like myself) to the open would find the E2 an upgrade from the closed? Or would you consider it a companion headphone? One open and one closed to rule them all so to say!

Keith
Sorry, can't help you there. I've never heard/owned EFC (1.0 or 1.1). I did have Ether (non-Flow) Closed, but didn't care for it and sold it. I actually had planned to get it upgraded to EFO, but ended up getting a great deal on EFO.

Dec 11, 2018 at 10:44 PM Post #1,001 of 3,213
Sorry, can't help you there. I've never heard/owned EFC (1.0 or 1.1). I did have Ether (non-Flow) Closed, but didn't care for it and sold it. I actually had planned to get it upgraded to EFO, but ended up getting a great deal on EFO.

Not a problem, thanks for the response!

I have about another 30 hours left before I hit the 100 hour mark...looking forward to see how the E2's settle out.

Keith

Dec 12, 2018 at 4:33 AM Post #1,003 of 3,213
Dec 12, 2018 at 5:07 AM Post #1,004 of 3,213
Thanks to @Headfonia for their in depth review of the ETHER 2 #headphone!

"It’s a weird thing to say, but the Ether 2 is a wonderful headphone that I enjoy coming home to after a long and hard day at work."

https://bit.ly/2QJ5H80

thank you for sharing! That account you tagged is not our official one btw (it's mine), I have PM'd an admin to remove that account impersonating us.

Dec 12, 2018 at 8:19 AM Post #1,005 of 3,213
Not a problem, thanks for the response!

I have about another 30 hours left before I hit the 100 hour mark...looking forward to see how the E2's settle out.

Keith

I agree that ether c flow has something special that I couldn’t find on other phones.
I found efc is darkish bright. It is bright, but not bright like Hifiman or hd600 or 800. I found that SQ seductive.
But EFC has a peak around 8k and sometime I feel treble is tad rough. In comparison, high frequencies on E2 is really smooth and clean, but darker than EFC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back