ETHER 2: Impressions and Discussion
Dec 16, 2018 at 4:03 AM Post #1,021 of 3,209
Today, I had a chance to hear lcd4z, d8000, empyrean side by side with ether 2. To my surprise, ether 2 is tonally quite similar to lcd4z. lcd4z has more amount of midbass than ether 2. ether 2 sounds tad brighter and sounds livelier than lcd4z. There is difference between the two, but not as much compared to ether 2 versus empyrean.

edit: because they are tonally similar to my ears, I tried hard to find difference in imaging/soundstage/resolution between ether 2/lcd 4z. For an about half hour (disclaimer: this is fairly short), I heavily A/Bed them. I did not find one is better than the other. But I found lcd4z sounds in a slightly larger space, probably due to an ultra large driver (108mm) (though it is noticeably heavier at the same time).

Last edited:
Dec 16, 2018 at 8:59 AM Post #1,023 of 3,209
My laziness never ceases to amaze me, but if already done so .. I need it again: any comparisons between the Ether 2 and the HE-1000 V2?

Dec 16, 2018 at 2:38 PM Post #1,024 of 3,209
I will appreciate your opinions. I am about making my choice between e2 and any of the he1000, the only headphone i have currently is the focal clear and if possible would also like to know how they compares .Thanks

My laziness never ceases to amaze me, but if already done so .. I need it again: any comparisons between the Ether 2 and the HE-1000 V2?
Edited 3/11/19 to reflect changed impressions based on substituting Liquid Platinum tube/hybrid amp for Bryston BHA-1 SS amp.

They are actually quite close, so it’s difficult to make definitive comparisons. Bass is very good on both, with slightly different character. HEKv2 seems a bit more natural, while the Ether to seems a bit more impactful.

Staging is also comparable in width and height, but HEKv2 has a little more depth, while E2 is slightly more intimate. This is most noticeable on female vocals.

<edit>
With more time in on E2 (burn-in? different amp?) I need to revise the above:

Staging is also comparable. HEK stage is somewhat wider, while height seems about even. E2 now has a little more depth, and also produces a somewhat more precise stage.

</edit>

HEKv2 seems smoother and more laid-back, while the E2 is a bit livelier and a little brighter.

<edit>
This doesn't really capture what I'm hearing. E2 has more upper-mid/lower treble energy (thus the livelier/brighter comment), but slopes downward at the top. By comparison, HEK is more linear, so probably most folks would call it brighter since it has more upper treble energy.

Neither are what I would call 'bright' headphones.

</edit>

But let me emphasize, these are subtle differences, and my (slight) preference for E2 is all about my ears.

Let me know if there are specific aspects of the signatures or specific genres you’d like to hear more about.

Last edited:
Dec 16, 2018 at 4:29 PM Post #1,025 of 3,209
They are actually quite close, so it’s difficult to make definitive comparisons. Bass is very good on both, with slightly different character. HEKv2 seems a bit more natural, while the Ether to seems a bit more impactful.

Staging is also comparable in width and height, but HEKv2 has a little more depth, while E2 is slightly more intimate. This is most noticeable on female vocals.

HEKv2 seems smoother and more laid-back, while the E2 is a bit livelier and a little brighter.

But let me emphasize, these are subtle differences, and my (slight) preference for E2 is all about my ears.

Let me know if there are specific aspects of the signatures or specific genres you’d like to hear more about.

Is the Ether 2 brighter in the upper mids or somewhere in the treble like 6k or 8k? Brighter but not sibilant right?

Dec 16, 2018 at 5:25 PM Post #1,026 of 3,209
Is the Ether 2 brighter in the upper mids or somewhere in the treble like 6k or 8k? Brighter but not sibilant right?
Upper mids, and definitely not sibilant on any track I’ve heard. I had another listen, focusing on some treble ‘heavy’ tracks. I would actually say HEKv2 is more linear/neutral in treble, while E2 has just a bit less energy up top. I suppose that perception might be mostly a consequence of the upper mid energy (female vocals vs cymbals and acoustic guitar string fingering).

BTW, comparisons above using this chain:

NUC ==> SU-1 ==> IIS ==> Pontus ==> Bryston BHA-1 ==> Vivo/E2 | Silver Dragon/KEKv2

All analog connections balanced, headphone cables are 4-pin XLR.

Dec 16, 2018 at 5:56 PM Post #1,027 of 3,209
Upper mids, and definitely not sibilant on any track I’ve heard. I had another listen, focusing on some treble ‘heavy’ tracks. I would actually say HEKv2 is more linear/neutral in treble, while E2 has just a bit less energy up top. I suppose that perception might be mostly a consequence of the upper mid energy (female vocals vs cymbals and acoustic guitar string fingering).

BTW, comparisons above using this chain:

NUC ==> SU-1 ==> IIS ==> Pontus ==> Bryston BHA-1 ==> Vivo/E2 | Silver Dragon/KEKv2

All analog connections balanced, headphone cables are 4-pin XLR.

So E2 has less treble energy up at the top, but more upper mids compared to HEKv2. I suppose then E2 is not actually brighter?

Dec 16, 2018 at 6:21 PM Post #1,028 of 3,209
So E2 has less treble energy up at the top, but more upper mids compared to HEKv2. I suppose then E2 is not actually brighter?
To me, ‘brighter’ is a very imprecise term for describing headphones — too general. And I probably used it imprecisely. But there is more energy in the E2’s upper range. So not warmer/bassier, not fuller/more forward mids. But also not hot/peaky treble. Still, when I compare HEKv2 to E2 with many of my favorite tracks with female vocals (Joni Mitchell, Gretchen Peters, Loreena McKennitt, Cowboy Junkies) the voices just seem more energetic ... you know ... brighter.

Dec 16, 2018 at 6:38 PM Post #1,029 of 3,209
Dec 16, 2018 at 9:33 PM Post #1,030 of 3,209
Hi, thanks for reply and I didn't mean to be critical about your words. But I am a bit confused now. Which of the above statements are true?
Sorry, it's complicated, and I wasn't careful with my words.

E2: less energy in the highest treble I can hear. More energy in upper mids.

HEKv2: more linear, so a little less energy in upper mids, more in the highest treble I can hear.

Try the song 'Cold Blue Steel And Sweet Fire' from For the Roses by Joni Mitchell. Starts off with some acoustic guitar, and the overtones and fingering on the strings comes out louder on HEKv2. But then she starts singing, and her voice has more energy from E2.

But, neither is nearly as bright as my Utopia or Auteur.

Dec 16, 2018 at 9:53 PM Post #1,031 of 3,209

HEKv2: more linear, so a little less energy in upper mids, more in the highest treble I can hear.

Try the song 'Cold Blue Steel And Sweet Fire' from For the Roses by Joni Mitchell. Starts off with some acoustic guitar, and the overtones and fingering on the strings comes out louder on HEKv2. But then she starts singing, and her voice has more energy from E2.

Many thanks for the detailed clarifications. So what are the upper mid sounds? Female vocals and pianos?
I am initially trying to decide between Arya and E2. Having received the Arya and learned that they have the same hinge built issues as my he1000v2 and it’s replacement units, I have decided to move away from them even though I like their sound a lot.

Now I am trying to decide between Aeolus and E2 or not buy anything if I am bothered with their sound signatures or comfort levels. By the way, is auteur okay comfortable for you?

Dec 16, 2018 at 11:09 PM Post #1,032 of 3,209
Many thanks for the detailed clarifications. So what are the upper mid sounds? Female vocals and pianos?
I am initially trying to decide between Arya and E2. Having received the Arya and learned that they have the same hinge built issues as my he1000v2 and it’s replacement units, I have decided to move away from them even though I like their sound a lot.

Now I am trying to decide between Aeolus and E2 or not buy anything if I am bothered with their sound signatures or comfort levels. By the way, is auteur okay comfortable for you?
Yes, female vocals pop out on E2s.

Auteur are comfortable for me, but they are heavy. And the strap is not a suspension strap, so if heavy bothers you, then you won't find them comfortable. E2 are unbelievably light.

Dec 17, 2018 at 12:04 PM Post #1,033 of 3,209

Good comparison and summary.

Dec 18, 2018 at 1:12 PM Post #1,034 of 3,209
Today, I had a chance to hear lcd4z, d8000, empyrean side by side with ether 2. To my surprise, ether 2 is tonally quite similar to lcd4z. lcd4z has more amount of midbass than ether 2. ether 2 sounds tad brighter and sounds livelier than lcd4z. There is difference between the two, but not as much compared to ether 2 versus empyrean.

edit: because they are tonally similar to my ears, I tried hard to find difference in imaging/soundstage/resolution between ether 2/lcd 4z. For an about half hour (disclaimer: this is fairly short), I heavily A/Bed them. I did not find one is better than the other. But I found lcd4z sounds in a slightly larger space, probably due to an ultra large driver (108mm) (though it is noticeably heavier at the same time).
How would you compare the E2 and the Empyrean?

Dec 18, 2018 at 3:16 PM Post #1,035 of 3,209
thank you for sharing! That account you tagged is not our official one btw (it's mine), I have PM'd an admin to remove that account impersonating us.
I'm confused. Huh?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back