ETHER 2: Impressions and Discussion
Mar 5, 2024 at 2:00 PM Post #3,196 of 3,208
I know this is a long-dead thread, but these new-to-me E2's have found a permanent home. Due to limited time, I've only been able to compare them to 1 other set so far, the HE6se V1 (plus my other headphones are closed-back and not planar). Honestly, it's been a blast a/b'ing them and I didn't think 2 planars with such similar styling could sound so different. For the purposes of this comparison, I'm using the suede pads on the E2 and fenestrated sheepskin on the HE6se.

Where the HE6se is bright and sparkly with 3rd-row seats, the E2 is dark and full-bodied with 1st-row seats. While the HE6se is well extended in bass, its impact is dreadfully light compared to the E2, which also has that immaculate planar bass extension. IMO, the suede pads on the E2 bring it pretty close to audiophile bass-head territory, which I love. As we move into the mids, it's amazing how different they are. Vocals on the HE6se and crisp, airy, and represented in my head as a well-defined point in the headstage. On the Ether 2, vocals are much "heavier" and full-bodied and are represented in my head as being much wider - less a point in the headstage and more like a 10-degree slice. Vocal details on the HE6se shift toward the treble, whereas vocal details on the E2 shift toward the bass (if that makes sense). As we get into the treble, the HE6se initially comes off as much more detailed and airy. You can hear the space around the notes and they are plucked like planars be - dangerously close to shrill at times, but almost always controlled and non-sibilant. On the E2, treble is not emphasized - it's a dark headphone regardless of the pad choice. But it's not that the treble doesn't have details - it does, loads of details. It's more that the treble isn't sparkly and you don't hear the space around the notes with the E2. The treble is there, it's beautiful, but it's not emphasized. Overall, the E2 has been my preference on the SET Mogwai Rev2 by far. On SS Jot2 they both sound great but have completely opposite strengths. For my preference, I like the E2 more, but would go to the HE6se if I was craving airy, treble-centric music. HE6se has the wider headstage, but to my ear the E2 is on par in terms of imaging and I love the thicker, more romantic presentation. E2 wins in terms of stage depth and height. E2 is way lighter and more comfortable.

On the matter of pads, suede are the extension pads - the emphasis is on sub-bass, treble has more energy, and overall probably a bit U-shaped but no big peaks that I can hear. The fenestrated pads have a huge emphasis on the mid-bass and the vocals, but the spikes are an issue for me. cymbals and other instruments in that range can sound anemic and the treble extension is bad. I honestly haven't tried the stock pads yet.
Really starting to miss my E2 after reading this post. If anyone wants to try something different, I have a pair of he6se / hd820 / lcd-24 / clear mg pro to trade

Mar 5, 2024 at 4:17 PM Post #3,197 of 3,208
I'm starting to wear out mine too. I'm quite surprised that a small series high-end headphone like this use cheap plastic fake leather that deteriorates in just a couple of years (and start shedding micro plastics). I've looked and you can't even buy real-leather pads for these, which is even more disappointing (Voce pads are genuine leather but have smaller openings). (Granted, we got two more pads in the box but they're also plastic ones.)

I've written to DCA to ask about mycelium leather, but received no reply. If anyone is to be a pioneer in this area, it should be them...
I like my E2s a lot but strongly dislike the synthetic pads. They just feel cheap and nasty and it baffles me why a product of this quality doesn't have leather/suede options which, for me, feel and sound much better.

I've attached some ZMF perforated leather pads that work very well. Not a perfect fit but with a glue stick and a little patience you can do a pretty neat job.

Mar 5, 2024 at 4:57 PM Post #3,198 of 3,208
I have to admit, not being able to get dekoni or other replacement pads that work easily with these headphones is rough. I'm someone who likes to experiment with pads to find my ideal sound profile, so being limited to the options I can purchase from DCA isn't ideal. I'm happy with the DCA Suede pads though.

Mar 10, 2024 at 10:34 PM Post #3,199 of 3,208
After a bit of experimenting, it turns out you can pad roll using the included (with mine at least) adhesion pad replacements for the stock pads.... as long as you don't mind permanently making the new pads "Ether 2" pads. I had some Yaxi Alcantara pads lying around and I used to love them with my TH900s, so figured I'd give them a try. They're a perfect fit, as are other TH900/HE6se pads it seems. So far they sound great with the E2 and improve comfort quite a bit. I haven't spent a ton of time comparing pads, but I think the Yaxi give the E2 a really linear bass-heavy response with maybe the best treble presentation out of the few pads I've tried. Bass impact and extension are still there and vocals aren't scooped out. The pads are angled, but top-to-bottom angle instead of front-to-back like stock pad.

Edit: The Yaxi pads are actually quite bass-heavy. Fun sound signature though.

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2024 at 3:55 AM Post #3,200 of 3,208
Really starting to miss my E2 after reading this post. If anyone wants to try something different, I have a pair of he6se / hd820 / lcd-24 / clear mg pro to trade
Same, had a chance to pick up an E2 for cheap before they disappeared from the market and now I'm kinda thinking it'd been worth it. Not the best headphone I've ever listened to, but at the price point they were offered definitely worth it. A lot of fun. Ah well.

Apr 21, 2024 at 6:36 PM Post #3,203 of 3,208
Saw a nice offer for a used e2 that i couldnt resist. Will arrive at the end of the week. Fingers crossed that soundstage depth and tallness as well as layering will be good enough for me. Otherwise i wouldnt know another planar that weighs under 350gramms which is the maximum i can stand, as my listening sessions are 8-12hrs long. Besides the audeze sine lx which are almost impossible to get these days. If the open sine sounds anything like the closed i own and would be available (specially the original pads) i would buy 2 of them and be done with hifi tho.
Tonally i should like the e2, as i like dipped upper midranges and some extra warmth from the upper bass.
Will post some impressions, even though there are plenty to find already

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2024 at 10:29 AM Post #3,204 of 3,208
Saw a nice offer for a used e2 that i couldnt resist. Will arrive at the end of the week. Fingers crossed that soundstage depth and tallness as well as layering will be good enough for me. Otherwise i wouldnt know another planar that weighs under 350gramms which is the maximum i can stand, as my listening sessions are 8-12hrs long. Besides the audeze sine lx which are almost impossible to get these days. If the open sine sounds anything like the closed i own and would be available (specially the original pads) i would buy 2 of them and be done with hifi tho.
Tonally i should like the e2, as i like dipped upper midranges and some extra warmth from the upper bass.
Will post some impressions, even though there are plenty to find already
What are you planning on driving the E2's with? They sound the best with neutral amps and DAC's to my ears. Since the E2's do have a warm tilt to them. Staging on the E2's is not the widest or deepest I've heard, but they are good enough to not sound closed in. I enjoy my E2's quite a bit as everything sounds like music when I put them on. Bass is well textured and layered. Midrange is full bodied and creamy, and the highs are present, but it's not most extended. So I EQ in more treble to add in a bit more air and clarity to balance out the sound.

Apr 22, 2024 at 12:06 PM Post #3,205 of 3,208
will power it with a Topping G5 most of the time, as i need the BT flexibility otherwise i use a topping DX3 Pro+. i am only into linear sound signatures in all my devices. no tubes or r2r dacs.

Apr 22, 2024 at 7:32 PM Post #3,206 of 3,208
will power it with a Topping G5 most of the time, as i need the BT flexibility otherwise i use a topping DX3 Pro+. i am only into linear sound signatures in all my devices. no tubes or r2r dacs.
The Ether 2's are a rather power hungry set of cans. You may not get the most out of them with a portable device.

Apr 23, 2024 at 3:40 AM Post #3,207 of 3,208
The Ether 2's are a rather power hungry set of cans. You may not get the most out of them with a portable device.
i dont believe in power. i can drive my 600ohms 89db headphones with 200mw to its full potential. even manufacturers like audeze, hifiman aso will tell you that best is around 250mw for most of their products. its one of those hifi myths that mostly has to do with psychoacoustics but i wont get into that now.
as the ether has a measured impedance of around 19ohms and more than 90db of efficiency and me beeing a low volume listener i would be good even with a dongle dac/amp

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2024 at 4:07 AM Post #3,208 of 3,208
got them two days ago. have about 16hrs listening to them (no need to burn in, as i bought used) and i am still on the fence between genious and scam. will need a few more days to figure out. What i already can tell is which source i like best using them will suprise you to say the least. more on that once i come to a conclusion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back