ETHER 2: Impressions and Discussion
Dec 7, 2018 at 11:00 AM Post #976 of 3,210
For me, the Ether2 is superior to the Ether Flow for metal. The bass is more "solid" and the highs are better controlled.
The LCD-4 is just "bigger" (both sonically and physically) than just about any other HP that I have heard.
That is the best that I can do describing the sounds. You really have to listen to the HPs to

Try:
Death From Above 1979 -https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrZxt476ef4

Lightning Bolt - Ride the Sky if you're looking for something loud

ha. neither of those bands are "metal" in the traditional sense. noise rock.

Dec 7, 2018 at 4:16 PM Post #978 of 3,210
Here are some metal tracks that sound fantastic on my ECF 1.1. I'd love to hear any takes on how they go with the E2.

Australian Prog metal with super clean lyrics:

New Orleans new american metal/metalcore with some screamier stuff with an intense, punchy mix:

One of the punchiest tracks from lamb of god:

Dec 7, 2018 at 11:06 PM Post #979 of 3,210
Here are some metal tracks that sound fantastic on my ECF 1.1. I'd love to hear any takes on how they go with the E2.

New Orleans new american metal/metalcore with some screamier stuff with an intense, punchy mix:

I heard them with ECF 1.1 and E2. They sound quite different and enjoyable on their own.
In comparison to E2, ECF 1.1 sounds brighter, so you may hear more guitar crunch. Vocals have more edge on ECF as well. But E2 slams way harder on mid-bass over rock solid sub-bass foundation. E2 seems faster and more aggressive with better dynamics.
Despite E2 being warmer than ECF, I found that E2 is more resolving with better stereo separation. Lots of micro details are floating around my head.

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2018 at 11:59 PM Post #980 of 3,210
I heard them with ECF 1.1 and E2. They sound quite different and enjoyable on their own.
In comparison to E2, ECF 1.1 sounds brighter, so you may hear more guitar crunch. Vocals have more edge on ECF. But E2 slams way harder on mid-bass over rock solid sub-bass foundation. E2 seems faster and more aggressive with better dynamics.
Despite E2 being warmer than ECF, I found that E2 is more resolving with better stereo separation. Lots of micro details are floating around my head.
Same story here. May I ask, how is your ECF 1.1 set up? Pads? Which damping?

I've been wandering around trying to find the 'best' combo, and going back and forth between angled pads and e-stat pads. Can't decide. I'm getting a second Vivo cable next week so I can more easily compare the two (EFO 1.1 E2).

Dec 8, 2018 at 12:05 AM Post #981 of 3,210
In comparison to E2, ECF 1.1 sounds brighter, so you may hear more guitar crunch. Vocals have more edge on ECF. But E2 slams way harder on mid-bass over rock solid sub-bass foundation. E2 seems faster and more aggressive with better dynamics.
Same story here. May I ask, how is your ECF 1.1 set up? Pads? Which damping?

I've been wandering around trying to find the 'best' combo, and going back and forth between angled pads and e-stat pads. Can't decide. I'm getting a second Vivo cable next week so I can more easily compare the two (EFO 1.1 E2).

Thanks for reminding me of this. I forgot to say that I am still using OLD pads on ECF 1.1 (upgraded from the original Ether C). That might be a reason why bass effects on my ECF are not as much strong. I know that new pads may be better, but I am resisting to change from this real leather to the synthetic one.
I am using the white filter on ECF.

Dec 8, 2018 at 12:12 AM Post #982 of 3,210
...I am using the white filter on ECF.
Plus the black foam?

Guess it doesn't matter -- your EFC vs my EFO are probably pretty different animals.

Dec 8, 2018 at 11:05 AM Post #984 of 3,210
Thanks for reminding me of this. I forgot to say that I am still using OLD pads on ECF 1.1 (upgraded from the original Ether C). That might be a reason why bass effects on my ECF are not as much strong. I know that new pads may be better, but I am resisting to change from this real leather to the synthetic one.
I am using the white filter on ECF.

The ECF pads are real leather. It’s E2 pads that are synthetic, though the material is good enough it has fooled several reviewers into thinking it was real leather.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Dec 8, 2018 at 12:42 PM Post #985 of 3,210

Thanks so much for these tracks. I had not heard of the bands on the first 2 videos.
They are outstanding (live concert sounding) on the E2s. The more I listen to the E2s, the more I love the E2s.

Dec 10, 2018 at 2:41 PM Post #986 of 3,210
Dec 10, 2018 at 3:23 PM Post #987 of 3,210
A few people early on commented the E2s sounded muffled in the midrange, which should not be the case. The headphone should have full, powerful bass and warm but detailed and lifelike vocals. We investigated and found an anomaly our tests didn't pick up that could result in inadequate upper-midrange to lower treble output after burn-in is complete. We have re-designed our test fixtures and processes and this issue will not get past us again.

We identified around 12 units we suspect are impacted (we got one back and it was OK while another had a confirmed issue) and we're directly contacting affected owners or shops that sold them to check up on them and service if needed. Just to be cautious I wanted to post a note here in case anyone had an issue we couldn't predict from our review of production tests. If you feel your headphone's midrange is muffled and flat contact info@mrspeakers.com and be sure to include your serial number so we can check the data.

If you haven't heard from us and don't feel your midrange is muffled your headphone is fine, this issue has a very specific effect. Our apologies to anyone we inconvenienced with this error.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

Dec 10, 2018 at 4:02 PM Post #988 of 3,210
A few people early on commented the E2s sounded muffled in the midrange, which should not be the case. The headphone should have full, powerful bass and warm but detailed and lifelike vocals. We investigated and found an anomaly our tests didn't pick up that could result in inadequate upper-midrange to lower treble output after burn-in is complete. We have re-designed our test fixtures and processes and this issue will not get past us again.

We identified around 12 units we suspect are impacted (we got one back and it was OK while another had a confirmed issue) and we're directly contacting affected owners or shops that sold them to check up on them and service if needed. Just to be cautious I wanted to post a note here in case anyone had an issue we couldn't predict from our review of production tests. If you feel your headphone's midrange is muffled and flat contact info@mrspeakers.com and be sure to include your serial number so we can check the data.

If you haven't heard from us and don't feel your midrange is muffled your headphone is fine, this issue has a very specific effect. Our apologies to anyone we inconvenienced with this error.

is there a good song you'd recommend as a test for this?

Dec 10, 2018 at 4:21 PM Post #989 of 3,210
Madeline Peyroux, Take These Chains from The Blue Room. Her voice should have pleasant breathy overtones with very natural lip-sounds, and the snare in the background should be obvious and not muffled. The snare is low in the mix and you can hear the wire brush distinctly in the intro, if the headphone is off the brush will sound muted or absent.

Dec 10, 2018 at 4:34 PM Post #990 of 3,210
Thanks for the transparency, Dan. Really appreciate you guys to try to correct this and even post it up, keep up the great work!

I don't feel like mine is affected, but just to be safe side, I'll contact my shop and also test with the song you recommend.

Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back