Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Aug 3, 2016 at 11:26 AM Post #2,266 of 40,577

Ah, I actually don't have the X7 anymore. I returned it shortly after receiving it as I just wasn't a big fan of the sound signature compared to the Plenue S. I really like the S thus far, although I don't think that there's a huge difference in sound quality compared to the cheaper Plenue 1. 

I highly recommend Effect Audio cables for a great price/performance ratio. I'm using the Eros 4-wire hybrid cable, and it's the best I've heard with the Zeus-R/Plenue S combo. I previously tried the Moon Audio Silver Dragon and Black Dragon cables, but didn't like either at all. All three I was using terminated with a balanced 3.5mm jack for the Plenue S's balanced output.

i was wondering if u got to hear the chord mojo with zeus r and how it compares with cowon s

Aug 3, 2016 at 11:28 AM Post #2,267 of 40,577
  i was wondering if u got to hear the chord mojo with zeus r and how it compares with cowon s

Unfortunately I haven't heard the Mojo yet. I prefer a standalone DAP for portability purposes, so I haven't ever gotten around to trying it despite the rave reviews I hear.

Aug 3, 2016 at 11:37 AM Post #2,268 of 40,577
  Unfortunately I haven't heard the Mojo yet. I prefer a standalone DAP for portability purposes, so I haven't ever gotten around to trying it despite the rave reviews I hear.

let me put it this way, i do not own the cowon ps but i own the cowon d, mojo and fiio x7

chord mojo with zeus r----- best combo sound wise and will get 9/10
fiio x7 with zeus r---- 8/10
cowon d with zeus r--- 7/10

Aug 3, 2016 at 11:50 AM Post #2,269 of 40,577

These two are in a different category.  While U12 is all about lush organic smooth detailed sound with a noticeable low end slam, Zeus-R is about accuracy, high level of resolution, micro-details, and open airy sound which makes U12 sounds veiled in comparison.  But it doesn't make one sound better than the other, this is all part of a personal sound preference.  In my subjective opinion, Zeus-R is the best pair of iems/ciems I heard.  Period.  I haven't heard yet such a level of high resolution and micro-details in a pair of earphones which also has zero harshness or graininess.  I guess the secret sauce here is applying a nano-magnetic coating to every driver to prevent interference and 8-way crossover network to tune this beast to perfection.

Wow, the U12 sounds veiled in comparison with the Zeus R? That's something I'd like to hear! Thankfully, my local shop has both in store, so it'll be a fun time comparing the 2. Still, the U/A12 is an IEM that I hold in very high regard. I absolutely love its sound signature - it was (is) the only contender to the Zeus XIV for me.

Aug 3, 2016 at 11:56 AM Post #2,270 of 40,577
Folks we have some very, very exciting news coming up. I hope to share it with you all by next week. Stay tuned
wink.gif

Jack. Suspense. Patience. Argh.

Aug 3, 2016 at 1:37 PM Post #2,271 of 40,577

These two are in a different category.  While U12 is all about lush organic smooth detailed sound with a noticeable low end slam, Zeus-R is about accuracy, high level of resolution, micro-details, and open airy sound which makes U12 sounds veiled in comparison.  But it doesn't make one sound better than the other, this is all part of a personal sound preference.  In my subjective opinion, Zeus-R is the best pair of iems/ciems I heard.  Period.  I haven't heard yet such a level of high resolution and micro-details in a pair of earphones which also has zero harshness or graininess.  I guess the secret sauce here is applying a nano-magnetic coating to every driver to prevent interference and 8-way crossover network to tune this beast to perfection.

Wow, the U12 sounds veiled in comparison with the Zeus R? That's something I'd like to hear! Thankfully, my local shop has both in store, so it'll be a fun time comparing the 2. Still, the U/A12 is an IEM that I hold in very high regard. I absolutely love its sound signature - it was (is) the only contender to the Zeus XIV for me.

As I mentioned, they have a different sound signature.  A warmer and smoother sound with sub-par treble extension (plus, U12/A12 is more L-shaped, if you take default S1 ADEL module into consideration) typically will have an inferior resolution and instruments layering/separation, doesn't mean a worse pair of monitors, just intended for a crowd with a different sound preference. When it comes to a smooth, warm, organic, and still detailed sound, U12 w/B1 modules and TWau cable is up there at the top.  Based on everything else I heard so far (excluding KSE1500
wink.gif
), Zeus-R strike me as one of the top hi-resolution candidates with a very impressive level of micro-detail retrieval and instrument/vocals separation WITHOUT any harshness.  But, as you know, our hearing perception is different.  For some, they might sound too bright, for others it could be too smooth.  Opinions are subjective
biggrin.gif
and if you compare U12 to Zeus-R, U12 will sound more veiled in relatively comparison by the nature of tuning and sound signature difference.

Now, Jack, common, where is that official announcement everybody knows about already?
tongue.gif

Aug 3, 2016 at 1:53 PM Post #2,272 of 40,577

As I mentioned, they have a different sound signature.  A warmer and smoother sound with sub-par treble extension (plus, U12/A12 is more L-shaped, if you take default S1 ADEL module into consideration) typically will have an inferior resolution and instruments layering/separation, doesn't mean a worse pair of monitors, just intended for a crowd with a different sound preference. When it comes to a smooth, warm, organic, and still detailed sound, U12 w/B1 modules and TWau cable is up there at the top.  Based on everything else I heard so far (excluding KSE1500
wink.gif
), Zeus-R strike me as one of the top hi-resolution candidates with a very impressive level of micro-detail retrieval and instrument/vocals separation WITHOUT any harshness.  But, as you know, our hearing perception is different.  For some, they might sound too bright, for others it could be too smooth.  Opinions are subjective
biggrin.gif
and if you compare U12 to Zeus-R, U12 will sound more veiled in relatively comparison by the nature of tuning and sound signature difference.

Now, Jack, common, where is that official announcement everybody knows about already?
tongue.gif

Curious, I know we both love the R, but what would you think that have similar if not equivalent sound signature?

Aug 3, 2016 at 2:00 PM Post #2,273 of 40,577
I saw that you reviewed the Andromedas, which performed favourably even against more expensive IEMs; how would you compare them to the Zeus?

Aug 3, 2016 at 2:40 PM Post #2,274 of 40,577

wink.gif
biggrin.gif

tongue.gif

Thanks for taking the time to elaborate further. 
smile.gif

Anyway, like I mentioned before, I'm a huge fan of the U/A12's sound signature. I prefer warmer, mid-centric earphones, and the U/A12 is one of the very best in that department. While it didn't take me long to decide to purchase either the U/A12 or the Zeus XIV, I did deliberate a little bit over which of the 2 I wanted to buy. Of course, I went for the Zeus in the end, but the U/A12 has never been far from my mind.

In any case, until I've heard the 2 in a direct comparison myself, I will defer to your judgement. You're one of the more comprehensive and consistent reviewers here on Head-Fi, and I'm sure you've heard your fair share of TOTL IEMs. Again, thanks for sharing your thoughts! Cheers!

Aug 3, 2016 at 3:38 PM Post #2,277 of 40,577

Curious, I know we both love the R, but what would you think that have similar if not equivalent sound signature?

A very good question, but I can't think of anything right now from my IEMs (maybe some resemblance to DN2000J, though those could get harsh)..  I might have to compare with some of my full size, maybe EL8C or T5p 2nd gen.  How about you, anything you can compare it to?  Maurice already mentioned KSE1500
biggrin.gif

Aug 3, 2016 at 3:52 PM Post #2,278 of 40,577
@twister6 I saw that you reviewed the Andromedas, which performed favourably even against more expensive IEMs; how would you compare them to the Zeus?

Andromeda has more bass (deeper sub-bass and more mid-bass punch) and smoother/warmer mids in comparison to a more detailed/airy/expanded sound of ZR.  Treble is very similar, though ZR has more sparkle and a touch more airiness.  Also, ZR has an edge in instrument separation.  In terms of soundstage, ZR has more width while Andro has more depth, in a relative comparison.

Aug 3, 2016 at 3:53 PM Post #2,279 of 40,577

Andromeda has more bass (deeper sub-bass and more mid-bass punch) and smoother/warmer mids in comparison to a more detailed/airy/expanded sound of ZR.  Treble is very similar, though ZR has more sparkle and a touch more airiness.  Also, ZR has an edge in instrument separation.  In terms of soundstage, ZR has more width while Andro has more depth, in a relative comparison.

Would you say Andromeda's resolution is closer to Sirius or Zeus-R?

Aug 3, 2016 at 4:04 PM Post #2,280 of 40,577

Would you say Andromeda's resolution is closer to Sirius or Zeus-R?

I would say somewhere in the middle, maybe a little closer to ZR.  To my ears, brighter signature with better treble extension and more airiness yields improved separation and higher resolution.  In that regard, Andro is closer to ZR.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back