Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Aug 2, 2016 at 1:37 PM Post #2,236 of 40,613

T6 and S-Eq, thanks for your impressions. Very helpful. I have read the Z-14 is too picky about its source. How is the Z-R in that aspect?

i tried both fiio x7 and mojo, I feel the mojo has the best pairing of the two. Which is not a surprise as the mojo is so magical with almost everything, so having combing the both the zeus r and mojo is simply above anything.

It does not mean that fiio x7 pairs bad, on the contrary is sounds good as well but not like pairing the mojo to the zeus r

Pair up with X7 is good, very revealing and detailed, but a bit too much hissing (w/AM2) and sound is more sterile.  I don't have Mojo, but heard plenty about it to get an idea that it has a smoother signature which should pair up well with Z-R.  I wouldn't say that Zeus-R is very source picky, but the nature of its revealing signature not going to mask poor resolution of the source, though to my surprise I found Z-R to be more forgiving with poorly recorded tracks.  I personally prefer Z-R pair up with more neutral/warmer/smoother sources which makes signature more balanced and lifts the low end.

Aug 2, 2016 at 1:51 PM Post #2,237 of 40,613

Pair up with X7 is good, very revealing and detailed, but a bit too much hissing (w/AM2) and sound is more sterile.  I don't have Mojo, but heard plenty about it to get an idea that it has a smoother signature which should pair up well with Z-R.  I wouldn't say that Zeus-R is very source picky, but the nature of its revealing signature not going to mask poor resolution of the source, though to my surprise I found Z-R to be more forgiving with poorly recorded tracks.  I personally prefer Z-R pair up with more neutral/warmer/smoother sources which makes signature more balanced and lifts the low end.

yes with am3 the hiss is there and to be honest I never liked the am3 sound signature anyway and its a hiss monster as you can read in fiio x7 thread, but i use the am5 and i am happy as I do not experience the hiss or i did not pay attention to it, but if it was hissing I would have noticed it

now here is the thing with fiio x7, with the stock player of fiio x7 the sound is not the best with zeus R. But try to change to neutron and this immediately turns things around, the fiio x7 and neutron sounds simply great. It has been always known that stock player of fiiio x7 is different sounding than third party apps and I only liked stock player because with other iems and third party apps i did not get a good result.

As few of you know me I love eq simply because most of the music I like is mastered not optimally so I resort to eq to fix those short comings, and I was never satisfied with the eq in the stock fiio app, and with neutron it was getting me bad results with all iems, this totally changed now with the zeus r, and I do not know how with the zeus R I like neutron the best contrary with my other iems. The neutron is the best I heard with zeus r,  and when I use the eq in neutron in fiio x7, I get the best sound I can get ( mojo aside ). I am so surprised how i can get the bass to punch big time using the eq in neutron, and keeping the mids intact and as great as they are in the zeus r. Now the price I paid for to get those extra details, is honestly the best I invested in, as I never enjoyed listening to music like I am now with the zeus r. 

Now for bass lovers that seek quality bass I assure you all the bass is going to meet all your expectations and even more, that can be dialed in to your liking with eq easily as is the case when bassheads look for the extra bass with QUALITY, you can see from my profile I love bass, and this bass in zeus r is the best i heard

Now mojo takes things to few degrees ahead

So all in all I am happy with the zeus r using both fiiio x7 and mojo with mojo having the upper hand

Aug 2, 2016 at 2:06 PM Post #2,238 of 40,613
  Glad you're liking it! It's definitely my reference IEM.

Are you using it with the Plenue D or the X7? I'm curious to see if your impressions mirror my own of those pairings.

well now i tried cowon d, and fiio x7 with neutron

fiio x7 with neutron sounds way better, i assume u tried fiio x7 with stock music player, try neutron with fiio x7 and play abit with its parametric eq. Simply try to lower preamp in neutron to -20 to avoid clipping and increase the low frequencies by +9 to +12, and lower 125hz by -4 db and keep all other freuqncies as is. Of course now your volume level will be around 50- 70 in high gain depending on your mastering of materials, you do this to compensate for the lowered preamp. Also what amp module did you use, did u try the am5, as am3 and am1 are a no in my book

stay away from stock music app in fiio x7 with zeus r

i spend alot of time testing eqs in daps and players, if you used neutron with its eq in fiio x7 and found the cowon plenue s sounding better then most definitely the cowon plenue s is the upper hand dap, and I assume it is when you compare prices of both daps

but I am more than happy with neutron and its eq in fiio x7

maybe you can test things and compare and get back to us about ur findings as I am open to buy a new dap anyway

this post is mainly for people who enjoy kinda a bass oriented sound signature and you can get it with the zeus R with perfection and keeping the mids and highs as amazing as they are. Then you can cancel all above recommendations and enjoy the zeus R reference sound signature as well.

What a great iem so versatile in what it can offer

Aug 2, 2016 at 7:01 PM Post #2,241 of 40,613
Folks we have some very, very exciting news coming up. I hope to share it with you all by next week. Stay tuned
wink.gif

Is it what I think it is?
ph34r.gif

Aug 2, 2016 at 8:08 PM Post #2,242 of 40,613
Could be the Savage thing, could be the Asius thing. 
biggrin.gif

Aug 2, 2016 at 8:42 PM Post #2,243 of 40,613
I saw a photo hinting at what's coming...

Aug 2, 2016 at 9:44 PM Post #2,245 of 40,613
Folks we have some very, very exciting news coming up. I hope to share it with you all by next week. Stay tuned
wink.gif

Can't wait. I have a feeling I am going to be an Empire Ears customer very soon! Subscribed!

Aug 3, 2016 at 3:12 AM Post #2,247 of 40,613
Aug 3, 2016 at 3:29 AM Post #2,249 of 40,613
Aug 3, 2016 at 3:30 AM Post #2,250 of 40,613
wink.gif

Aha...so, this time it's for real?
biggrin.gif

http://www.head-fi.org/t/786335/empire-ears-discussion-impressions-formerly-earwerkz/1440#post_12470325

@Sound Eq: they look great!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back