Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Jan 2, 2016 at 12:41 PM Post #916 of 40,559
Should be getting a PAW Gold in soon for testing. I look forward to hearing this magical combustion of PAW Gold + Zeus that you've been raving about Mimouille!

Just played with Zeus out of my Aune X1S desktop DAC/Amp last night. Sensitivity made volume control a bit challenging, but boy did it sound great! Sounded even more dynamic and holographic than before. Bass is so tight and punches hard. So nice!
Looking forward to your take on the hiss also.

Jan 2, 2016 at 3:16 PM Post #917 of 40,559
Well, like I said I'm not overly sensitive to hiss. That said, Zeus and I took a stroll yesterday. I wanted to listen to something on my iPhone, so I hooked up the Calyx PaT battery-free mini DAC/Amp. Hissed like crazy. I'm sure you "hiss kings" would've been driven absolutely nuts. No more PaT + Zeus. Better with just iPhone...

Jan 2, 2016 at 4:58 PM Post #918 of 40,559
In an effort to provide information regarding Android phones, I tried the Zeus directly connected to my Samsung Galaxy Nexus and I get a black background. I hear no hiss.

It's an old phone, but I still feel it calls for another crazy cat dance, even if just a small one 
biggrin.gif

Jan 2, 2016 at 6:23 PM Post #919 of 40,559
It would be helpful if someone could post their findings on more recent Android phones 
popcorn.gif

Jan 2, 2016 at 6:34 PM Post #920 of 40,559
Does anyone have a comparison with the Audeze LCD-X?  I know it's a bit awkward to compare them due to the inherent differences between full-sized and CIEM's but I think the LCD-X is my endgame signature.  If the Zeus can get close I think it will be an instapurchase for me.

Jan 2, 2016 at 7:27 PM Post #921 of 40,559
Does anyone have a comparison with the Audeze LCD-X?  I know it's a bit awkward to compare them due to the inherent differences between full-sized and CIEM's but I think the LCD-X is my endgame signature.  If the Zeus can get close I think it will be an instapurchase for me.

I would say that tonally (varies based on what sources you use) and drawing a parallel between the entire Empire Ears lineup and the Audeze series:

Zeus-XIV is closest to the LCD-4 and possibly the LCD-2 for the detail retrieval and natural openness.

Apollo-X would be closest to an EL-8 (closed or open) because of both of their uniquenesses.

Athena-VIII would be closest to the LCD-X or LCD-XC because of their slightly heightened crisp, yet lovely sound.

Hermes-VI would be closest to an EL-8 or LCD-2 for the slightly unique but easy to live with sound.

Spartan-IV would be the closest to the LCD-2 for the reference-like signature.

Cerebus-III would be closest to the LCD-3 for the warm, but creamy signature.

Supra-II would be closest to the LCD-X and LCD-2 for the vivid, yet adequately revealing signature.

I paired all mentioned IEMs and headphones with the Questyle Audio QP1R.

Jan 2, 2016 at 7:37 PM Post #922 of 40,559
I would say that tonally (varies based on what sources you use) and drawing a parallel between the entire Empire Ears lineup and the Audeze series:

Zeus-XIV is closest to the LCD-4 and possibly the LCD-2 for the detail retrieval and natural openness.

Apollo-X would be closest to an EL-8 (closed or open) because of both of their uniquenesses.

Athena-VIII would be closest to the LCD-X or XC because of their slightly heightened crisp, yet lovely sound.

Hermes-VI would be closest to an EL-8 or LCD-2 for the slightly unique but easy to live with sound.

Spartan-IV would be the closest to the LCD-2 for the reference-like signature.

Cerebus-III would be closest to the LCD-3 for the warm, but creamy signature.

Supra-II would be closest to the LCD-X and LCD-2 for the vivid, yet adequately revealing signature.

Thanks for the detailed impressions!

Judging from your summaries it looks like I would either value the Zeus or the Athena based on the sound signature. Definitely waiting eagerly for some more reviews.

Jan 2, 2016 at 7:48 PM Post #923 of 40,559
Thanks for the detailed impressions!

Judging from your summaries it looks like I wod either value the Zeus or the Athena based on the sound signature. Definitely waiting eagerly for some more reviews.

I edited more of your quote of me, for reference.

I believe instead of wanting more reviews (I frequently see members on various threads including after reviews like myself posting and/or after a person or two's reviews say ["I will wait for more reviews"]), is to listen to whatever you want to purchase first, as if one or three people reviewing or even fifty will not make a difference (other than increasing possible expectation bias) as to your personal interpretation of the sound of the particular devices/IEMs/headphones/etc. presented to you. Not directed towards you personally, just that I see this a lot and wanted to finally address it. Not wanting to start an argument, but it may be inevitable. We will see.

Jan 2, 2016 at 8:06 PM Post #925 of 40,559
Agree regarding "try before you buy", especially with CIEM!

And thanks for the comparos, Moe. I haven't had the pleasure of listening to Audeze yet, but it sounds like I'd probably go for LCD-2.

No worries. The LCD-2 is a natural and refreshing sounding headphone. I like their LCD-XC and LCD-4 because of their world class detail retrieval but both are very heavy (even with my thick neck). The LCD-X is like a party headphone, LCD-2 is a slightly warm and natural headphone, LCD-3 is a warm and natural headphone, and the EL-8's are either love them or despise them based on your individual preference(s).

Jan 3, 2016 at 8:50 AM Post #926 of 40,559
I agree with @moedawg140 and @nmatheis

Ideally, we should be able to audition each piece of gear before we decide to purchase. This would spare us from having to rely on second hand information for something whose value ultimately depends on personal preference.

Having said that, my place of residence is quite isolated with regard to audio equipment. I do not have the same physical access that others apparently do to venues that would allow me to try out audio gear that interests me.

I once tried to arrange a demo of the Noble K10 with the only authorized dealer in Canada, located on the opposite coast from where I live. Initially, he was receptive to the idea and even volunteered to talk directly to Noble regarding a demo program. But in the end he backed out and advised me instead to "find a dealer on the east coast of the USA you can go visit one Sunday and try some product out". On the face of it, it was very sensible advice. In practice, it would have involved going to Moon Audio in North Carolina, USA, which for me (according to Google) is 20 hours and 59 minutes by car (2,229km). Or 4 hours and 50 minutes by plane (CA$426). Quite a trip for "one Sunday" 
biggrin.gif

I can't say for sure if that dealer was actually being glib, but I choose to believe he was trying to be helpful.

That experience brought home two thoughts for me:
  • The Head-Fi community is a great place with people like moedawg140, nmatheis, and others who are always willing to share their impressions and knowledge to help people like me find out about new gear, albeit vicariously. Thanks for that guys!
  • I really must attend a CanJam one day. Being able to bring my music and try it directly on so many different kinds of gear all under one roof would be a dream come true! Definitely on the bucket list.

$ 0.02
beerchug.gif

Jan 3, 2016 at 8:57 AM Post #927 of 40,559
I agree with @moedawg140
 and @nmatheis

Ideally, we should be able to audition each piece of gear before we decide to purchase. This would spare us from having to rely on second hand information for something whose value ultimately depends on personal preference.

Having said that, I once tried to arrange a demo of the Noble K10 with the only authorized dealer in Canada, located on the opposite coast from where I live. Initially, he was receptive to the idea. But in the end he backed out and advised me instead to "[COLOR=222222]find a dealer on the east coast of the USA you can go visit one Sunday and try some product out[/COLOR]". On the face of it, it was very sensible advice. In practice, it would have involved going to Moon Audio in North Carolina, USA, which for me (according to Google) is 20 hours and 59 minutes by car (2,229km). Or 4 hours and 50 minutes by plane (CA$426). Quite a trip for "one Sunday" :D

I can't say for sure if that dealer was actually being glib, but I choose to believe he was trying to be helpful.

That experience brought home two thoughts for me:
  1. The Head-Fi community is a great place with people like moedawg140, nmatheis, and others who are always willing to share their impressions and knowledge to help people like me find out about new gear, albeit vicariously. Thanks for that guys!

2. I really must attend a CanJam one day!!! Being able to bring my music and try it directly on so many different kinds of gear all under one roof would be a dream come true! Definitely on the bucket list.

$ 0.02
:beerchug:  
Ive seen in four shops in Hong Kong that had all these iems are avaiable for demo.

Jan 3, 2016 at 9:05 AM Post #929 of 40,559
Most of the IEMs I'm interested in aren't even available in my continent, never mind country.
Im from Miami and cant demo anything there but in HK every ciem, uiem, amp, dap, cable are here to demo.

Jan 3, 2016 at 9:09 AM Post #930 of 40,559
Most of the IEMs I'm interested in aren't even available in my continent, never mind country.

I checked your profile info to make sure it wasn't Antartica :wink:
We are definitely spoiled here in the Far East especially Singapore and Hong Kong

Users who are viewing this thread

Back