Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Jan 3, 2016 at 11:03 PM Post #946 of 40,587
I hear you, Moe. It's just not easy to hear everything before you buy. Again a big shoutout to Jack for being willing to let people try before they buy!
:beerchug:

I most definitely agree with you there, nmatheis. It can be very challenging, if not impossible to listen to everything before buying. Personally, if I can't listen to it and the manufacturer won't budge (or if it's a high dollar device that I won't be able to listen before purchasing), then I will take my business elsewhere. For example. I have the Shure SE530, then upgraded to the Shure SE846 because I wanted a more quality in-ear bass experience than what I was previously experiencing with the SE530. I then purchased the Sensaphonics Custom Sleeves (SCS) without any real knowledge of the product since there were zero reviews of it at the time (Monty Burns and I were the first ones to have Sensaphonics offer the SCS created into "full shell" sleeves as their default), but I made a decision to purchase the SCS for many reasons, most because I needed a custom alternative for sizes-fit-all-tips that I tried that wouldn't fit me sufficiently. Now the KSE1500 is available, I've been following the thread and even though my friends who have heard it all emphatically adore the sound and I know that I align with most all of the audio equipment they like and love, I will still find a way to listen to it in person before spending anything close to the current $3,000 USD going rate for it.

Jan 3, 2016 at 11:35 PM Post #947 of 40,587
I dont have anything against a personal philosophy of "try before you buy" especially when it comes to expensive things - seems like a smart idea if anything. Again... it's only the "doesn't give a darn" thing that irks me.

Easy example... the predecessor to Empire. They were never at any shows, didnt tour, gave a very limited number of review units out, if any. It's a reviewer's privilege, not right, to listen to something - and that privilege is to share the experience with others rather than to "try before you buy." I think it would be a very strange and incorrect argument to say that Jack "didn't give a darn" about his customers before he rebranded as Empire. No one's ever doubted his dedication to us.

On the contrary... there are many companies that attend just about every trade show yet have customers who are fed up with their crap.

Jan 3, 2016 at 11:40 PM Post #948 of 40,587
I dont have anything against a personal philosophy of "try before you buy" especially when it comes to expensive things - seems like a smart idea if anything. Again... it's only the "doesn't give a darn" thing that irks me.

Easy example... the predecessor to Empire. They were never at any shows, didnt tour, gave a very limited number of review units out, if any. It's a reviewer's privilege, not right, to listen to something - and that privilege is to share the experience with others rather than to "try before you buy." I think it would be a very strange and incorrect argument to say that Jack "didn't give a darn" about his customers before he rebranded as Empire. No one's ever doubted his dedication to us.

On the contrary... there are many companies that attend just about every trade show yet have customers who are fed up with their crap.

Was this directed towards me? (I saw the statement you said with regards to "doesn't give a darn" and I do not want to assume). If so, please quote me.

Jan 4, 2016 at 8:33 AM Post #949 of 40,587
Fair points raised by most of you regarding the strategic importance of trying a product before making a decision (to purchase). Without getting my feet wet with regard to the ongoing discussion, I'd just like to add that I'm grateful to have access to a myriad IEMs (and headphones) in Singapore. Without the ability to "try before I buy", I might have simply passed over a good number of products that are currently in my collection. I'm not a very adventurous buyer, and I often err on the side of caution. I can read a whole slew of (positive) reviews, but that will only serve to manage, or more accurately, raise, my expectations. However, I have never been very keen or willing to drop large wads of cash on unproven products - in this sense, unproven to my ears. 
smile.gif

Jan 4, 2016 at 3:40 PM Post #950 of 40,587
I think we're all getting a bit off-topic here regarding "try before you buy".

Regardless of either side, any issue is solved with the Empire Tour that Jack is offering.

Let's get back on-topic! I, for one, am curious about that "Jupiter" CIEM Jack posted about earlier!

Jan 5, 2016 at 8:29 PM Post #952 of 40,587
Hi, I have a Legend Omega. I am wondering if the Zeus has a better bass than the Omega?

And anyone tried the Zeus with the Sony Walkman ZX2? Do they pair well? TIA.

I havent heard the omega but i can shed some light on the second question.

The Zeus hisses manageably with the ZX2. Unless ur more on the sensitive to his side of things, it should be ok.

The ZX2 is a fairly warm DAP with some extra low end to it. For me personally, id much prefer pairing the zeus with a flatter DAP as im not a fan of too much bass and the zeus has plenty of it as is. However, considering the fact your an omega owner, and assuming ur a happy omega owner, this pairing might be right up ur alley.

Jan 6, 2016 at 12:06 PM Post #956 of 40,587

[COLOR=000000]""
[/COLOR][COLOR=00FF00]Powerful
[/COLOR] [COLOR=000000]you have become, the
[/COLOR] [COLOR=FF0000]dark
[/COLOR] [COLOR=000000]side I sense in you."
[/COLOR]​

[COLOR=000000]"Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?"
[/COLOR]​

Beautifully done!

Jan 6, 2016 at 12:45 PM Post #960 of 40,587
Thanks! It's for a client in Singapore! I see Stan every year at DragonCon so now you're giving me ideas.

Thank you sir! 

It looks like you have quite a huge fan base in Singapore, Jack! Glad to be one of the fans of the Empire. 
smile.gif

Btw, the Darth Vader & Yoda designs are pretty neat. Nice work with the colors.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back