Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Jan 3, 2016 at 10:51 AM Post #931 of 40,591
Guys,

After having enjoyed the Zeus for quite a while, I think I can reasonably give some feedback on my feeling concerning these iems. This is not a definitive review, as I generally don't do that, and I may provide further impressions later on with other sources.

In terms of context, I have been driving them with my AK240SS and then with the Lotoo Paw Gold, listening only to FLAC, Redbook and some 24/96. The Zeus I have are a demo provided by Jack, I just paid for the shipping. I will certainly be buying but we will come to that later.

Customer experience:
I am not sure if my experience with Jack is the typical customer experience but it has been nothing but excellent. I have expressed interest in their product range and our interaction thereafter has been nothing but smooth and excellent. Jack had always taken all my comments with interest, trying to improve his products, looking for ways to address his clients' concerns. He visibly loves his products and his job, and it makes it really nice to deal with him.

Build quality and ergonomics:
the build of these is excellent. There are very small for 14 drivers. It is a bit tricky to find the right tips, but once you have (spinfit medium or large for me), the fit is quite comfortable. A bit less than the 846, but more than the Roxannes or Solar. If I could note something to be improved, I think a more ergonomic shaped could be found, like the 846 or the Inear Stage Diver.

The cable provided is very nice, durable and flexible. I like more compact jacks but the right angled jack is still of great quality.

The whole iem fits in a very small case, so it allows for a very portable yet high end rig, paired with a high-end DAP.

Pairing and sensitivity: I will not insist on this, as I have said much about it already, but this is the only issue with the Zeus in my experience. It is twofold: the Zeus are not so easy to drive. I thought they sounded average of the AK240SS and significantly better out of the Lotoo Paw Gold. I am not sure if it is that they like more power, which would be counterintuitive for a very sensitive iem. The second part is indeed sensitivity, the Zeus hisses with my Mojo and my Paw Gold. I am starting to think know my demo is more sensitive than others, as some report no hiss with the Mojo. My Mojo has no hiss with my Solar, so the Mojo is not faulty. So to conclude I have not yet found a source that sounds good AND doesn't hiss at all. To be clear, the hiss on the Lotoo is very present, much more tolerable on the Mojo.

Sound quality: Once you find the right source, the Zeus is a marvel. It is quite colored, the mids sound pretty thick, I would say that it is because of a lift in the lower mids.

The key strong points are resolution and imaging. The sounds is quite forward and aggressive but it hits you in such an involving manner, all the layers are so fleshed out and textured, all the details can be heard perfectly placed in the stage, the mids are rich but refined, you can really hear the grain of the voices, making vocals very engaging. The stage is very deep, but clearly not at wide and airy as the Solar. It is not a negative point, because placement within that stage is very precise. Plus the quite narrow stage and lush mids allow a very together and centered sound. The Solar will have a more relaxed and laid back sound, placement in the stage is a bit more diffuse.

Bass is a bit north of neutral, highs are well extended but not aggressive. They have some sparkle but not the sparkliest nor the airiest if that is your thing.

On well mastered music, these are the most engaging and musical iems I have heard. I like them as much as my SE5 Ultimate. If I had only one I would keep the SE5 as it is more neutral, but I love the Zeus.

I am not yet sure which I prefer vs. The Solar, because on not so well mastered tracks, the Solars, being more spacious and airy, will sound better. Plus the Solar is much easier to pair source wise. But with the right source and goof quality tracks, I enjoy the Zeus more. The Solar are less fatiguing also, so for long seasons while reading for instance, I will go for the Solar. All in all these are very complementary.

Conclusion:
I would love to see a less sensitive version come out, and maybe the signature is not for everyone if you like bright and thin sounding IEMs, but apart from that, the Zeus is a brilliant iem, standing above the crowd.

Jan 3, 2016 at 12:39 PM Post #932 of 40,591
CrispyWonton: Thanks for the kind words, and I totally get where you're coming from regarding lack of try before you buy in North America. I could audition AKG, Audeze, Beyer, and Senn at my local hifi shop. That's it. Nothing like Empire Ears there. That's at its so awesome of Jack to put together the Empire Tour kit so at least some US headfi'ers get a chance to check them out. A big shoutout to Jack Vang for doing this!

Mimouille: Your comment on using a more powerful source with Zeus totally resonates with me after plugging Zeus into my desktop setup. Everything was kicked up a notch or two, making Zeus truly a force to be reckoned with!

Jan 3, 2016 at 12:54 PM Post #934 of 40,591
I'm thinking the Vorzüge Pure II would tame the hiss of these IEMs. That amp is as quiet as the grave.

Can someone who has access to both the Zeus and the Vorzüge Pure II confirm?

popcorn.gif

Jan 3, 2016 at 12:56 PM Post #935 of 40,591
Happy to help anyway that I can, appreciate the comment - I agree with your excellent points, CrispyWonton.

It can be very difficult to impossible to listen to certain brand's products, even out here in Southern California. For instance, you don't see any Lotoos or Mojos out here unless you know someone who's got one. There are many more examples, but those are two on the top of my head as I type with my baby moving around next to me.

It's one thing to go to shows and be introduced to products or meet up with friends who have awesome products to share. It's also great that companies set up tours for those who are not able to demo products. All of that is great to find a product that may suit your individual wants and needs.

My personal thinking is this:

No matter what the product, if I can not listen to it at a CanJam or event/show I'm attending, if they don't have the product anywhere near me, if they do not have the ability to allow the listener to hear it before buying (be it through tour(s), asking for a loaned demo, etcetera), then I am not interested in the product. Unfortunately that means a lot of products may have slipped my hands, but it also means I can focus my efforts and listening on products where the manufacturer actually gives a darn about their customer.

Jan 3, 2016 at 1:46 PM Post #936 of 40,591
I dont think its fair for you to imply that if a manufacturer doesnt have the means to allow people to hear their products, that its a sign they dont care. There are many manufacturers, especially those from outside the country, they dont have the resources to be sponsors or to make the investments in attending trade shows.

Not trying to pick a fight by any means, but there are a lotta guys out there that wish they could expand their sphere but simply cannot.

Jan 3, 2016 at 1:59 PM Post #937 of 40,591
I dont think its fair for you to imply that if a manufacturer doesnt have the means to allow people to hear their products, that its a sign they dont care. There are many manufacturers, especially those from outside the country, they dont have the resources to be sponsors or to make the investments in attending trade shows.

Not trying to pick a fight by any means, but there are a lotta guys out there that wish they could expand their sphere but simply cannot.

A point well made, @Cotnijoe

For what it's worth, that is not the way I interpreted what he said.

One company immediately came to my mind when I read what you said about some companies not having the resources to reach us here in North America.

It brings me back to why I feel that the Head-Fi community and members like you who put their time and effort into providing honest impressions for guys like me is so valuable. In both the reviews and impressions you post as well as the many questions you patiently answer via PM.

Cheers 
beerchug.gif

Jan 3, 2016 at 2:01 PM Post #938 of 40,591

With regards to your post regarding my implications, I am not only talking about sponsors, or making investments or anything of the sort. Please read my entire post before commenting. If you did, you would have noticed that I mentioned various ways to get to listen to products. I stated giving demos as well, as I well know that manufacturers can not always afford attending meets - the prices for a table/area, not to mention flights, room, food and payment in some way (salary, one time pay or product) for those who are exhibiting, I first hand know can be very expensive for some to most manufacturers/vendors.

Again, this is my personal thinking - if they will not send me a demo if I ask for one (one that I will give back if I find out the product just isn't for me), along with the other parameters that I stated in my previous post, then I am not interested, simple as that.

Jan 3, 2016 at 9:47 PM Post #939 of 40,591
For what it's worth, I buy plenty of stuff unheard, including for example all these Massdrop exclusives, or the Liquid Carbon. In Singapore we seem more lucky in the portable sphere, but good luck trying to get a desktop amp or dac to 'tour' Singapore if it's not already available here. I don't blame anyone, least of all any dealer or manufacturer- I certainly don't think that it's their job to spend hundreds of dollars to ship multi-thousand dollar amps or dacs over here. But that doesn't stop me from still being interested in the product :D

So I'm somewhat used to buying 'ears unheard', and getting a surprise (hopefully a good one), and then seeing if what I hear fits what I read. Anyhow, I'm on this site (as opposed to, you know, just switching off and listening to music, LOL) because I enjoy reading and writing about audio, in addition to listening to it. All in all, a fun experience!

Happy new year, everyone!

Jan 3, 2016 at 10:12 PM Post #940 of 40,591
For me, I am aware that manufacturers probably wouldn't be able to ship me amplifiers and items that either cost a lot of money for most people, and I would personally never spend up to thousands of dollars for something that I have never heard, as I do not currently make nearly enough to even be about that life (purchasing items, especially high-priced that I haven't heard). If I can't hear high priced amps or devices at a show or meet, I won't even try to ask for a manufacturer to send me their high priced equipment or blame them as that would be high risk for them to do that for anyone who asked, totally understandable.

But if it's for an IEM or headphone that isn't high priced and I can give them my credit card number and send back if I don't like and they still say no, then I will personally send my business and listening somewhere else.

Jan 3, 2016 at 10:29 PM Post #942 of 40,591
If you can't audition before you buy, best thing is to identify a reviewer or two who seem to have similar taste, but a few cheaper products they like to verify they're on track for your taste, and then see what they end up liking. It's worked pretty well for me.

This is why I'm on to you, haha.

Jan 3, 2016 at 10:35 PM Post #944 of 40,591
There are definitely many options to go about purchasing a product, but all will be determined by how much you are willing to spend, sight unseen (or in this case, hearing unheard), no matter how many reviews a person may read or reviewers a prospective customer aligns themselves with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back