Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Jan 1, 2016 at 11:53 AM Post #901 of 40,591
FWIW, (and no disrespect, at all, to tusing's helpful suggestion
beerchug.gif
), I actually concur with Mim's feeling about making the signal path less pure.

UE is certainly not the first company to offer such a solution, but, if I owned a pair of Zeuses, I would also be very reluctant to plug a resistor into the signal path.

It's a personal thing.

Also see:

www.head-fi.org/t/786905/seiun-player-150-player-with-monster-spec-too-good-to-be-true/300#post_12222644

Jan 1, 2016 at 12:02 PM Post #902 of 40,591
  For those who drive the Zeus with the Mojo, do you get a background hiss? The hiss is much more present then  with the Solar on my Mojo.

Hi, @Mimouille

I normally play Spotify on my PC and connect further up via optical or coaxial.

I do hear a generally low but definitely noticeable background hiss with my Zeus connected to any of the following gear:
  1. Alo Audio Rx
  2. Chord Mojo
  3. Fiio E17K
  4. iBasso D14

This is with no source connected to said gear. Simply connecting the Zeus and turning the gear on at the lowest possible volume.

I do not hear any background hiss with the Cypher Labs Picollo, though.

So, with the Zeus, I tend to pair the Mojo with the Picollo.

This is all in comparison to my DUNU DN-2000J, on which I hear no hiss with any of the gear mentioned here.

Update: 8 January 2016

Pairing the Zeus directly with the Mojo, I do hear background hiss. But playing music at even just 2 or 3 volume clicks from zero is still very pleasant for extended sessions. The hiss is there but faint enough even at these low volume levels that I tune it out.

Zeus paired directly with Samsung Galaxy Nexus has no audible background hiss.

Zeus paired directly with iPad has no audible background hiss.

Jan 1, 2016 at 12:16 PM Post #903 of 40,591
If it gets rid of the hiss what does it matter?

Hmm. I was just throwing the suggestion out there.

In the end, it's all up to personal preference, I guess. The 2k IEMs are composed of many components, some of which cost less than $10. Cost does not always have a bearing on performance. It's just circuitry, after all. Resistors and wires and stuff.

What I can say is that it virtually eliminates hiss without negatively impacting sound. It's certainly better than nothing.
It has nothing to do with price of the adapter. I like elegant setups meaning it is practical and optimized...and pretty. This is why I try to get the best of everything. Needing an adapter in the middle is the opposite of that philosophy. Sorry if this makes no sense to some, but it is my enjoyment of the hobby so...but it did not mean I don't welcome suggestions.

Jan 1, 2016 at 12:21 PM Post #904 of 40,591

FWIW, (and no disrespect, at all, to tusing's helpful suggestion 
beerchug.gif
), I actually concur with Mim's feeling about making the signal path less pure.

Empire Ears is certainly not the first company to offer such a solution, but, if I owned a pair of Zeuses, I would also be very reluctant to plug a resistor into the signal path.

It's a personal thing.

It has nothing to do with price of the adapter. I like elegant setups meaning it is practical and optimized...and pretty. This is why I try to get the best of everything. Needing an adapter in the middle is the opposite of that philosophy. Sorry if this makes no sense to some, but it is my enjoyment of the hobby so...but it did not mean I don't welcome suggestions.

Right, no worries!
beerchug.gif
 It all comes down to personal preference/philosophy.

Jan 1, 2016 at 12:32 PM Post #905 of 40,591
Hi, @Mimouille

I do hear a background hiss, of varying degrees, with my Zeus connected to any of the following gear:
  • Alo Audio Rx
  • Chord Mojo
  • Fiio E17K
  • iBasso D14

I do not hear any background hiss with the Cypher Labs Picollo, though.

So, with the Zeus, I tend to pair the Mojo with the Picollo.
Thanks...now this makes sense. The only black background within my sources on the Zeus is the AK240SS. But the pairing sucks.

Jan 1, 2016 at 7:46 PM Post #907 of 40,591
Jan 1, 2016 at 7:58 PM Post #908 of 40,591
Happy New Year 2016 everyone! Wish you all the best of luck in 2016.

2015 was tough for me with my busy work. Also, I haven't have much head time with my Zeus, but I have to ship them back to fix some unknown scratches. I love Zeus so much I need them to be perfect.

Check out my review.
http://www.head-fi.org/products/empire-ears-zeus/reviews/14920

Thanks Jack Vang for calming me down from my sadness of those scratches during New Year's Eve.

I hope I did not destroy your 2016 countdown.

​

Jan 2, 2016 at 12:04 PM Post #911 of 40,591
Should be getting a PAW Gold in soon for testing. I look forward to hearing this magical combustion of PAW Gold + Zeus that you've been raving about Mimouille!

Just played with Zeus out of my Aune X1S desktop DAC/Amp last night. Sensitivity made volume control a bit challenging, but boy did it sound great! Sounded even more dynamic and holographic than before. Bass is so tight and punches hard. So nice!

Jan 2, 2016 at 12:17 PM Post #912 of 40,591
Should be getting a PAW Gold in soon for testing. I look forward to hearing this magical combustion of PAW Gold + Zeus that you've been raving about Mimouille!

Just played with Zeus out of my Aune X1S desktop DAC/Amp last night. Sensitivity made volume control a bit challenging, but boy did it sound great! Sounded even more dynamic and holographic than before. Bass is so tight and punches hard. So nice!

The sound really is awesome. But if youre sensitive to hiss... Proceed with caution haha

Jan 2, 2016 at 12:41 PM Post #915 of 40,591
I would be lying if I said I wasn't a little disappointed that I do not get a black background with the Zeus across all my gear.

Having said that, when I found the sweet spot with Mojo > Picollo, listening to my music with the Zeus made me do this:

Crazy cat dance of joy
biggrin.gif

I will hold off on any final judgement regarding sensitivity until I can try the Zeus in a balanced configuration ...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back