Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Feb 8, 2018 at 5:17 PM Post #10,652 of 40,587
may be, but the wallet is empty
:ksc75smile::ksc75smile::ksc75smile:

Look at it this way:

your wallet may be empty, but as long as you're not morally bankrupt, there is hope for you, yet!
cheers beerchug EMOTICON.gif

I'm often skint, myself, but one of these days, I will find the means to get a nice shiny EE CIEM. I'm determined of that.

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2018 at 5:33 PM Post #10,653 of 40,587
Last edited:
Feb 8, 2018 at 8:15 PM Post #10,654 of 40,587
I am away for 3 freaking days and all hell breaks loose in here! Well, thank you guys soOOo much for making these cool iems and getting people I like to write about them! SoooOOOoo nice of you to put another dent in my retirement plan, u guys are the bezzt! /s

source.gif

Seriously though, they both look to be top players in their respective fields. Can't wait to try them out!
Who goes away from head-fi for 3 days?! Do you have life or something? You know it is not recommended

Feb 8, 2018 at 8:33 PM Post #10,655 of 40,587
Who goes away from head-fi for 3 days?! Do you have life or something? You know it is not recommended

... unless if you go away for a few days to spend your time in FB audio groups :D

Feb 9, 2018 at 1:13 AM Post #10,658 of 40,587
In terms of clarity can they beat Tia Fourte?

Here we go.

Let's see if there's a direct comparison for this eventually.

Legend X and Phantom vs Tia Fourte, anyone? :D

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2018 at 1:29 AM Post #10,659 of 40,587
Here we go.

Let's see if there's a direct comparison for this eventually.

Legend X and Phantom vs Tia Fourte, anyone? :D

@twister6

Legend X vs Fourte - Finally, we have a soundstage expansion match, with both having nearly the same width and depth. Sub-bass extension and mid-bass slam is noticeably bigger in LX, while Fourte has a more neutral sub-bass and slimmer and faster mid-bass. Both have a similarly tuned lower mids, south of neutral, and from there going up the difference is again quite noticeable where Fourte upper mids and treble are a lot brighter, more revealing, more micro detailed, while LX is smoother and more natural in tonality, with a lot less crunch and airiness. LX and Fourte have a very different tuning, but I know many will be curious if there are any similarities, which I didn't find.

Feb 9, 2018 at 2:09 AM Post #10,660 of 40,587
@twister6

Legend X vs Fourte - Finally, we have a soundstage expansion match, with both having nearly the same width and depth. Sub-bass extension and mid-bass slam is noticeably bigger in LX, while Fourte has a more neutral sub-bass and slimmer and faster mid-bass. Both have a similarly tuned lower mids, south of neutral, and from there going up the difference is again quite noticeable where Fourte upper mids and treble are a lot brighter, more revealing, more micro detailed, while LX is smoother and more natural in tonality, with a lot less crunch and airiness. LX and Fourte have a very different tuning, but I know many will be curious if there are any similarities, which I didn't find.

Ah, great find.

I should re-read that review.

Feb 9, 2018 at 3:32 AM Post #10,663 of 40,587
You know, in another year there will another round of new IEMs coming out and the Phantom and Legend X will be the swept away ones like the Zeus is now. Hype is a lovely thing but watching folks get so worked up here is both funny and distressing.
Very cynical, but I get your sentiment. Don't forget however that people are here to just have a little fun and one of the most fun things about buying new IEMs is looking at all the options and talking about them. Even buying the "flavour of the month" can be really fun for those who have the money to do it. I don't see anything there that is particularly worrying, at least not given the type of world we live in.

That said, for me personally the Phantom are definitely not the "flavour of the month". As much as I like to hear everything and know all too well the (biological) advantages of switching between signatures, the Phantom meet very specific criteria that I have been working on for over a year. So in my case the silliness (and I happily admit to being silly) sits on a much more serious foundation.

Just to illustrate two ways the cynicism is not always warranted (but I still understand it :wink: ).

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2018 at 6:56 AM Post #10,664 of 40,587
olddude is probably feeling a little bit of a sting because he just bought EE's most celebrated IEM, and now it's yesterday's news.

But of course, IEMs are not like CPUs. They don't fall to obsolescence. What sounded great yesterday continues to sound great today. More than that, Zeus is still the flagship of the Olympus line.

The hype train may have moved on, olddude, but I know you'll continue to love Zeus for a long, long time.

PS. I don't use hype as a negative here. I am hyped for Legend X. :D

Feb 9, 2018 at 7:04 AM Post #10,665 of 40,587
Very cynical, but I get your sentiment. Don't forget however that people are here to just have a little fun and one of the most fun things about buying new IEMs is looking at all the options and talking about them. Even buying the "flavour of the month" can be really fun for those who have the money to do it. I don't see anything there that is particularly worrying, at least not given the type of world we live in.

That said, for me personally the Phantom are definitely not the "flavour of the month". As much as I like to hear everything and know all too well the (biological) advantages of switching between signatures, the Phantom meet very specific criteria that I have been working on for over a year. So in my case the silliness (and I happily admit to being silly) sits on a much more serious foundation.

Just to illustrate two ways the cynicism is not always warranted (but I still understand it :wink: ).
Call me cynic #2...there is a broader world out there than just IEM's and headphones. Since this is the site we are on we can focus on those items. I see you joined the site a little over a year ago and am not sure how long you have actually been into the hobby, I looked at your profile to gauge. Consumer electronics is a constant ebb and flow of new gear as is this case with new car models, cellphones and IEM's it is the normal lifecycle. It doesn't mean there aren't items that have a greater staying power than others or others that have become classics, HD650 for example. I for one do hope you finally find something that works for you, and maybe the Phantom will be it. Olddude can fight his own battle but being a realist sometimes does cross the path of cynicism and other times not. I am excited to hear the new releases, like a child at Christmas, and I also love Empire Ears and have a great relationship with that company. It is easy to forget when you are involved in a website that this is only one small cross section of the world of audio and not every consumer visits or knows about this site, it is an audiophile site. An while someone may have have a different take or doesn't drink the same Kool-Aid as you they shouldn't be labeled "very cynical". Your flavor of the month may not be the next guy's.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back