Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Dec 26, 2021 at 6:46 PM Post #34,727 of 40,671
I didn't say it was a review. I said he heard it the way I do. How do I know? Because he explained the exact same reaction I had when I first heard it.

EVO is not for everyone as so many people have pointed out. But, there are some people who will have the reaction @Sajid Amit and I did. I am sure that EXT is great, too. I can't wait to hear it. Many people have super positive reactions to it. It's possible that had I heard EXT first, I would have reacted to it like I did EVO. For now, I am just relieved to know that I am not alone.
EVO and EXT are both excellent IEMs although they are very different in a number of ways signature-wise. They are both very satisfying in the mid bass and sub bass department but the texture of both are very different on both IEMs. I actually think both are great compliments to each other if you like your bass.

Last edited:
Dec 26, 2021 at 7:41 PM Post #34,728 of 40,671
not only do we all have different preferences in the music we listen to but we have different sources that we listen to the music through as well as different hearing ability due to age or simply personal differences...no way for everybody to hear things the same....I personally love the odin but I get why others like different sound signatures...

Dec 26, 2021 at 10:45 PM Post #34,729 of 40,671
I am both a full sized headphones and IEM guy and I actually prefer headphones over IEMs. Hifiman Susvara is my favorite headphone in my collection and is so by a significant margin. That said, I wish I was as satisfied with Susvara bass as I am with EVO. EVO is the first IEM, headphone or speaker where I don't say I wish the bass was a little bit better.
+1

Dec 26, 2021 at 10:48 PM Post #34,730 of 40,671
EVO and EXT are both excellent IEMs although they are very different in a number of ways signature-wise. They are both very satisfying in the mid bass and sub bass department but the texture of both of very different on both IEMs. I actually think both are great compliments to each other if you like your bass.
Makes me wonder if I should ditch my Traillii plans for the Ext. I usually need more bass from IEMs, although I do think a good bass is important for hi fidelity reproduction of music.

Dec 27, 2021 at 2:53 AM Post #34,731 of 40,671
Makes me wonder if I should ditch my Traillii plans for the Ext. I usually need more bass from IEMs, although I do think a good bass is important for hi fidelity reproduction of music.
See which one you can get first. Traillii for me is priced right at <$4K with the cable, $3K without. Bass is still excellent, but it's more Susvara than 1266.

Dec 27, 2021 at 2:54 AM Post #34,732 of 40,671
I think you should get Traillii first. It has good enough bass and this is coming from a bass head. Where it is really strong is different than EVO. It is strong in its presentation of music. Great tuning and resolution. My guess is that EVO and EXT are more alike than EVO and Traillii based on what I've read in EXT impressions and reviews. Getting Traillii first will likely give you a more diverse collection.

Dec 27, 2021 at 4:32 AM Post #34,733 of 40,671
I have an audio enthusiast friend who lives for metal and hard rock, and says he listens to it to relax. When I've previously tried to play some of the music he recommended, I generally couldn't get past 20 seconds of noise before switching it off. On the flip side, he tells me the music I like sends him to sleep. How the two of us ever find common ground when discussing gear is beyond me. 😁

How about some Norwegian Black Metal instead? 😚

Dec 27, 2021 at 5:24 AM Post #34,734 of 40,671
I think you should get Traillii first. It has good enough bass and this is coming from a bass head. Where it is really strong is different than EVO. It is strong in its presentation of music. Great tuning and resolution. My guess is that EVO and EXT are more alike than EVO and Traillii based on what I've read in EXT impressions and reviews. Getting Traillii first will likely give you a more diverse collection.
Makes sense. Thanks.

Dec 27, 2021 at 6:38 AM Post #34,735 of 40,671
Makes sense. Thanks.
I have not heard EXT so it is impossible to recommend. Traillii on the other hand is one I will wait to watch the price drop some more and pick it up again. I do miss it. I think the bass on the Traillii is fantastic relative to the tuning on a whole.

Dec 27, 2021 at 8:12 AM Post #34,736 of 40,671
Dec 27, 2021 at 10:34 AM Post #34,738 of 40,671
Definitely. The EVO and the Traillii are my IEMs of the year.
+1. The only two IEMs I own that compliment each other excellently. I am slowly dabbling in HPs and LCD-5 has the detail advantage in the lows with incredible speed, but the BCD + DDs in EVO is still such a unique experience, one that is really addicting and almost meditative for me. Hearing the well-imaged constant bassline chugging along in a track, or the visceral, thunderous lows just puts me into the setting while throwing enough overall detail to keep it immersive.
Either way, I am definitely keen on trying EXT for perhaps a warmer, more versatile listen. I know the purple haunts you like something like
1640619008257.png

Last edited:
Dec 27, 2021 at 11:06 AM Post #34,739 of 40,671
Unfortunately, most of the material is recorded and mastered poorly, so something that's tuned on the edge of hotness in some areas is going to keep you on edge too.

True, but the audiophile who listens to well-recorded music pay the price when a device is “dumbed down” for poorly recorded and mastered music. Plus, “most” recorded music isn't done poorly; it should read that “most new pop, EDM, and some new rock,” there's over 70 years worth of music recorded in stereo, a 100+ in mono.

This is why reviewers should provide the context of what they listen to, and evaluate gear with, so folks can gravitate toward those who listen to similar music. Also, equipment designed to be revealing on we'll recorded music isn't “designed on the edge of hotness,” you write that as a value judgment, a flaw; it's not.

Dec 27, 2021 at 12:15 PM Post #34,740 of 40,671
+1. The only two IEMs I own that compliment each other excellently. I am slowly dabbling in HPs and LCD-5 has the detail advantage in the lows with incredible speed, but the BCD + DDs in EVO is still such a unique experience, one that is really addicting and almost meditative for me. Hearing the well-imaged constant bassline chugging along in a track, or the visceral, thunderous lows just puts me into the setting while throwing enough overall detail to keep it immersive.
Either way, I am definitely keen on trying EXT for perhaps a warmer, more versatile listen. I know the purple haunts you like something like 1640619008257.png
The EXT is a good IEM I'm sure, but the color and fit issues don't make it appealing for me. And I'm pretty happy with the collection as it stands. I think I may be done for a while... 😊

Users who are viewing this thread

Back