Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Dec 27, 2021 at 11:45 PM Post #34,741 of 40,671
I've been saying here for years that there is no "correct," no "perfect for everyone," no way to quantify these audio(phile) devices. Everyone has different hearing based on age, shape of ears and ear canals, how much noise said ears have been exposed to and at what volume and duration, let alone personal likes/dislikes re sound signature and emotional levels at the time of listening. How often have you listened to a device/sound chain one day and it's sublime and the next day with the same music it's just very very good? We all bring things to the party that are ephemeral and often not consciously noticed.

Then factor in what type of recordings you like, what file type/bit rate and what sound level you like or need, and it becomes clear that the only way to discuss these devices is to speak in generalities about them. Or be VERY specific and list every area I mentioned so as to be clear about what is being discussed.

I find that if I ask questions based on, firstly, the music a person listens to and, secondly, the area(s) of the sound signature they most value, that helps to narrow things down to a place of commonality where discussions can be helpful. If we like the same sorts of music and we like the same general sound signature, things become clearer. If we don't, there is value in that as well.

So if I am looking for information re, say, an IEM, and someone suggests that I will like it based on their love of deep bass, smooth treble and a propensity to listen to metal or EDM, I know that it is likely not for me, as I cherish transparency, a very specific treble presence and not a lot of bass while I listen to, say, the Beatles. We need to be much more specific when we make statements or seek information. And, again, I'm not pointing fingers at anyone here or on any other thread.

To me, the "best" IEM (and I have listened to my music ONLY with it for four years) is the EE Zeus. I have posted (many times) WHY I feel that way, but I know that it is just my opinion and large numbers of folks here find it to be shrill and anemic. Just as I find the, oh, say, LX way too warm and congested. Or the Phantom, which was way too thick in the mids and rolled off in the treble for my tastes (though I loved the bass).

Once we stop looking for the best new thing that will be perfect, and learn to accept that this hobby is an addiction, we can begin to make better choices. Everyone can chart the drumbeat of the newest bestest from early postings (Jack Vang is a MASTER at this) to a stampede to buy it to the Sales thread full of them a month or two later. The Mojo was a prime example of this, but currently the Odin seems to be right up there.

I'm as guilty as everyone else here in buying buying buying new stuff, seeking that best listening experience. I spent years doing so. I'm just suggesting that we can do a better job (myself included) in being much more informative when discussing equipment with others.

Of course, that is just my opinion.

Dec 28, 2021 at 7:05 PM Post #34,742 of 40,671
Well, after much thought about replacing my Zeus XR/PWA 1960 2-wire with an Odin (and an inability to get a demo to try), I'm keeping the Zeus and swapping out my AK SP1K for their new SP2000T. It has a regular amp, a tube amp and you can go hybrid with it as well. AND it has filters. For how much I love the sound of the Zeus, I just couldn't pull the trigger on an Odin without trying it out. And the AK has a 1-month return policy so if I hate it (very doubtful), I won't need to sell it.

If anyone here is looking for a near-mint AK SP1K with multiple cases and an expensive and hard-to-find VanNuys leather belt case, shoot me a pm or watch this space.
AK players are an excellent choice for the Zeus.

When I rocked the Zeus R/PWA 2 wire/SE100 is probably the third best setup I've went with for longer than a month. Hiss probably isn't an issue for you, but with the power AK puts on tap for theirs DAPs, the Zeus picks up almost not hiss at all. Especially compared to the WM1A.

Also they really should award you that #1 Zeus Fan flair already. I really don't recommend blind buying the Odin for the price either.

Dec 28, 2021 at 7:22 PM Post #34,743 of 40,671
Zeus hiss was well-known with lots of DAPs. I was very careful before buying mine, asking folks who had the SP1000 and the Zeus if they were having a hissy issue. I spent a half-year researching before blind buying the Zeus. The SP2000T will be my 4th AK (120ll, 240SS, SP1KSS, and now the T). Each one has been excellent for its time and what I had it matched with. I'm really looking forward to hearing what the T brings to the party.

There are a few us still here with the Zeus. Proedros is one who comes to mind. When you find something that works for you, stick with it. Not only does it make you happy but you save all that money and time looking for something "better."

I just couldn't plop down the $ for an Odin. The reviews were all over the place, and I just didn't want to chance it. The Zeus still rocks my boat. Fourteen magical drivers per ear. :)

Dec 28, 2021 at 9:22 PM Post #34,744 of 40,671
The EXT is a good IEM I'm sure, but the color and fit issues don't make it appealing for me. And I'm pretty happy with the collection as it stands. I think I may be done for a while... 😊
Who is this imposter? 😃🤭

Dec 29, 2021 at 7:53 AM Post #34,745 of 40,671
I hope everyone had an amazing holiday weekend! Dropping in to quickly update you all on EVO and Genesis.
  • All outstanding pre-orders from the very first pre-order batch (those who waited for EVO to ship with Genesis) will ship out by next Friday, 1/07.
  • All outstanding owed Genesis cables will be fulfilled in the month of January with weekly shipments to our dealers. We'll be shipping them out as fast as we receive them.
  • All outstanding pre-orders post the first batch above will be fulfilled in Late January/February.
  • All launch editions are sold out
  • We are no longer taking EVO orders at the moment as we are maxed out in EVO production alone for the next few months. All available pre-orders through our dealer network will be all that's available until late February.
We can’t thank you all enough for your patience, understanding and continuous support. As always feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

Last edited:
Dec 29, 2021 at 5:40 PM Post #34,746 of 40,671
A proud new owner of an Odin here! Absolutely shook every time I put in my ears!

Dec 29, 2021 at 6:17 PM Post #34,747 of 40,671
I got my customs in a bit before the holiday and have been loving them.

Attachments

• IMG_0409.jpeg
    IMG_0409.jpeg
    686.6 KB · Views: 0
Dec 29, 2021 at 6:20 PM Post #34,748 of 40,671
Dec 29, 2021 at 6:22 PM Post #34,749 of 40,671
Thanks. Reading lots of Odin reviews, there was too much dispute over the upper mids and treble. Especially when someone says "smooth treble" I tend to shy away. The joy of the Zeus is the clear mids and upper mids and the defining treble. I actually have no issue with the lower end for a lot of what I listen to - 60's rocks for the most part -as even the Motown stuff isn't bass-centric. I just wanted a bit more oomph for some albums and the Odin was just too much of a crapshoot. I thought I might shake an Odin demo out of Jack but it didn't happen. I love the AK sound and the SP2000 (and T) seems to be pretty much similar to the SP1K. The T just has a lot of areas I can play with. Twister6 suggested using the Hybrid setting with the Zeus, so I dropped the $. A used Odin and the SP2000T were at the same price point and as I don't need a LOT of bass and I am very concerned about mids and treble, the AK seemed the wiser choice. I'll post when I get it with some thoughts for all the folks here who still have the Zeus or are curious about the SP2000T. Note that this will be the first new equipment I have purchased in more than four years (excluding the PWA 1960 2-wire I got during the start of lockdown, which was going on two years ago), as the Zeus/SP1K combo really did it for me. And I was pretty much done chasing the dragon on new new new.
The axis has shifted in my audio world! @olddude is not only getting a new DAP, he's even considering getting new iem's. :fearful::fearful:

I still love my Zeus XR's. It was his posts that convinced me most to make a blind buy just over 3 years ago. They were "ear-opening" for me. They are the first iem where I felt my head was inside the music, not vice versa. I prefer the R tuning. It is still the iem that most sounds like a high-quality studio monitor, even better than the Wraith or Odin.

The difference most people point to is the level/quality of the bass. Yes, this won't make much a diff for most classic rock. There's still albums where the bass is significantly louder in the mix on the Odin over the Zeus (e.g., Moondance, Even in the Quietest Moments).

For me, the biggest diff for much of classic rock in the upper mid/lower treble. Cymbals will have more "crunch" or "meat". Distorted guitars will have a LOT more bite to them.

Yes, absolutely try to get an audition!! You might try to contact @Barra or @Wildcatsare1. There was a recent Odin tour; they just might still have them. Otherwise, you could try to sweet talk @MusicTeck. Their restocking fee is variable. The amount may be low enough if you don't like them.

I have a large selection of classic rock, Qobuz, Zeus, Odin. I don't have a SPK, but I do have a SPKM. Feel free to pm me if there are specific albums/tracks you'd like me to compare the iem's and let you know my personal opinion. hth

Dec 29, 2021 at 8:40 PM Post #34,750 of 40,671
Thanks for all the info. At this point the Odin is out and the AK is in. Or should I say the money for the AK is out and the AK is not yet in?

Since I like the Zeus (I use the X setting) so much, I'm going to be playing with the AK amps and filters to see what they will bring to the party. Realistically, all I'm looking for is a bit of lower-end oomph for some records (not all). Just a bit of warmth. The SP1K is near-perfect with the Zeus, so hopefully the T will fill in some gaps. Each AK I get raises the bar a bit, so the T should be another level up. The only negative I'm hearing about it is that some folks get a buzzing while streaming while in Tube mode. I don't steam so that doesn't worry me at all. I still use FLAC music files, just like people did in the old days. :)

I'm glad you still love your Zeus. Any IEM that we can use and enjoy for (you, three years, me 4 1/2 years) so long is a testament to how good it is. EE caught magic in a bottle with it.

Dec 30, 2021 at 2:02 AM Post #34,751 of 40,671
A proud new owner of an Odin here! Absolutely shook every time I put in my ears!
A new member to our cult! Welcome Welcome!

How's the fit with your ears, I recalled you had some issues with the fit on other iems?
The difference most people point to is the level/quality of the bass. Yes, this won't make much a diff for most classic rock. There's still albums where the bass is significantly louder in the mix on the Odin over the Zeus (e.g., Moondance, Even in the Quietest Moments).

For me, the biggest diff for much of classic rock in the upper mid/lower treble. Cymbals will have more "crunch" or "meat". Distorted guitars will have a LOT more bite to them.
Definitely, the Zeus handles the bass in classic rock fine. That was actually what sold me on the Zeus R. I was starting out at the time and my demo was all classic rock.

I also thought I didn't like sparkle at the time.

As extensive as my classic rock collection is, I tend to also shuffle across my genres and the Zeus isn't as great.

@olddude and I have an excellent chat in PMs and for his tastes the Zeus is excellent. Why spend more money when it just works.

EE caught magic in a bottle with it.
Gimme my Zeus LE with a magic bottle icon.

Jan 3, 2022 at 2:42 PM Post #34,752 of 40,671
I got my customs in a bit before the holiday and have been loving them.

Wow! EE customs never fail to impress. The Spartan-IV was my first custom back in the day.

Hope to grab something custom-wise in 2022 from them again!

odins are really special

They are. they effortlessly handle anything I throw at them.

A new member to our cult! Welcome Welcome!

How's the fit with your ears, I recalled you had some issues with the fit on other iems?

If I remember right, it was not exactly fit issues. I had a point in time where I could not wear IEMs at all due to a very bad ear infection.

I couldn't wear IEMs for a couple of months and it was a serious struggle! Now I know how to properly clean and take care of my ears, and it has not happened since.

The Odin actually fits great. I have quite wide and shallow ear canals, and for all the problem I had with them as a kid, they are wonderful for IEMs. I get a really nice seal with most shells and rarely struggle with chunky ones once I find the right tips.

It's a nice life to have!

Jan 3, 2022 at 7:32 PM Post #34,753 of 40,671
I have several TOTL HP's and the Odins are the first IEM's that are the same league....the 64 audio's are also outstanding IMHO....I no longer I am missing out when I bring these fantastic IEM's with me on a trip along with my hugo 2

Jan 3, 2022 at 7:37 PM Post #34,754 of 40,671
I have several TOTL HP's and the Odins are the first IEM's that are the same league....the 64 audio's are also outstanding IMHO....I no longer I am missing out when I bring these fantastic IEM's with me on a trip along with my hugo 2
Odin and Fourte rival my Utopia and HD800s. They are also way more comfortable than cans.

Jan 4, 2022 at 10:44 PM Post #34,755 of 40,671
I’m in love again …

65292346-C4E9-4146-9EE3-44C855514691.jpeg

I recently purchased the Lotoo PAW Gold Touch Ti and it is a wonderful pairing with the Odin. The Odin’s midrange prominence is beautifully tamed with the Ti and I can now listen to much more of my music library without feeling the need to take a break. 👍

Users who are viewing this thread

Back