Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Dec 26, 2021 at 4:57 PM Post #34,711 of 40,606
There are a myriad of reasons we all hear these IEMs differently to one another. Even if we hear them similarly, we all have different tastes in music, and different tolerances to certain sounds. Harsh for one can be exciting for another (how else can you explain someone actually enjoying death metal!?). EVO plays very close to the edge in some FR, but if you're into it, there's very few IEMs that can do what it does.
The EVO bass is so good and so much better than everything else I've heard that the rest of the FR curve just needs to not suck for it to be great to my ears.

Dec 26, 2021 at 4:57 PM Post #34,712 of 40,606
Dec 26, 2021 at 5:00 PM Post #34,713 of 40,606
What I enjoyed most in the video was the context with full size headphones. EVO is one of an elite group of IEMs that, for me, competes in the same league as full-size headphones. Of course there are differences in presentation due to physics, but if you want a size of sound that's perceptibly similar to the best over-ears, especially in bass response, EVO can and does give you that.
I am both a full sized headphones and IEM guy and I actually prefer headphones over IEMs. Hifiman Susvara is my favorite headphone in my collection and is so by a significant margin. That said, I wish I was as satisfied with Susvara bass as I am with EVO. EVO is the first IEM, headphone or speaker where I don't say I wish the bass was a little bit better.

Dec 26, 2021 at 5:01 PM Post #34,714 of 40,606
Harsh for one can be exciting for another (how else can you explain someone actually enjoying death metal!?)
Gold! 😂

I do like death metal and I would like to understand why as well. Lol

Dec 26, 2021 at 5:02 PM Post #34,715 of 40,606
Dec 26, 2021 at 5:06 PM Post #34,716 of 40,606
I am both a full sized headphones and IEM guy and I actually prefer headphones over IEMs. Hifiman Susvara is my favorite headphone in my collection and is so by a significant margin. That said, I wish I was as satisfied with Susvara bass as I am with EVO. EVO is the first IEM, headphone or speaker where I don't say I wish the bass was a little bit better.
I think it is the bone conductor that adds the secret sauce to the bass. It is really evident when you go back and forth between Odin and Evo. You just can't get that near huge sound and impact without it from my experience. It's hard to describe in words the effect that bone conductors have but it adds something tangible that is missing without them.

Dec 26, 2021 at 5:07 PM Post #34,717 of 40,606
Gold! 😂

I do like death metal and I would like to understand why as well. Lol
I have an audio enthusiast friend who lives for metal and hard rock, and says he listens to it to relax. When I've previously tried to play some of the music he recommended, I generally couldn't get past 20 seconds of noise before switching it off. On the flip side, he tells me the music I like sends him to sleep. How the two of us ever find common ground when discussing gear is beyond me. 😁

Dec 26, 2021 at 5:09 PM Post #34,718 of 40,606
Dec 26, 2021 at 5:13 PM Post #34,719 of 40,606
There's an article out there somewhere to explain it :D
Here is one... 😊

DAC7B0E7-609F-4950-8161-88B92621EA9D.jpeg

Dec 26, 2021 at 5:14 PM Post #34,720 of 40,606
I have an audio enthusiast friend who lives for metal and hard rock, and says he listens to it to relax. When I've previously tried to play some of the music he recommended, I generally couldn't get past 20 seconds of noise before switching it off. On the flip side, he tells me the music I like sends him to sleep. How the two of us ever find common ground when discussing gear is beyond me. 😁
Lol… maybe just as a relief of the daily anger… better put out on music than somewhere else.

I’m completely dependent on the mood of the day for my music style. Some days are Pink Floyd, others Snoop Dogg, others Behemoth. 🤷🏽‍♂️

The article also mention the importance of the person’s psychological stage (e.g mood, attention) when hearing audio. The hearing perception can change drastically.

Dec 26, 2021 at 5:17 PM Post #34,721 of 40,606
Here is one... 😊

DAC7B0E7-609F-4950-8161-88B92621EA9D.jpeg
Ha! I knew it!

Interesting enough, when I’m in “anger” and listen to heavy songs, I also want a heavy sound IEM. For example, my best IEM for Metal is LX. Listening to it with the Jolene, I feel I’m missing the heavy hit. For more calmer songs, Jolene is doing great.

Dec 26, 2021 at 5:19 PM Post #34,722 of 40,606
I think it is the bone conductor that adds the secret sauce to the bass. It is really evident when you go back and forth between Odin and Evo. You just can't get that near huge sound and impact without it from my experience. It's hard to describe in words the effect that bone conductors have but it adds something tangible that is missing without them.
There is that break in the lower mids that also does something. At CanJam, I asked Jack if that was intentional and he said yes. I asked him what happens when they take that out. He said it sounds like Odin.

I am looking forward to Odin mkii. I hope they put a bone conduction driver in there and offer a custom. I want another CIEM from Empire Ears. That would be a good possibility.

Dec 26, 2021 at 5:20 PM Post #34,723 of 40,606
Ha! I knew it!

Interesting enough, when I’m in “anger” and listen to heavy songs, I also want a heavy sound IEM. For example, my best IEM for Metal is LX. Listening to it with the Jolene, I feel I’m missing the heavy hit. For more calmer songs, Jolene is doing great.
Totally. As long as it's mid paced.. Nio is another great pick for that. The EVO is great because the bass stays tight with faster music.

Dec 26, 2021 at 5:21 PM Post #34,724 of 40,606
There is that break in the lower mids that also does something. At CanJam, I asked Jack if that was intentional and he said yes. I asked him what happens when they take that out. He said it sounds like Odin.

I am looking forward to Odin mkii. I hope they put a bone conduction driver in there and offer a custom. I want another CIEM from Empire Ears. That would be a good possibility.
It will be some chunker if they add a BC in on top of all the other drivers. Will probably be top of the pre-order queue if they do though.

Dec 26, 2021 at 5:25 PM Post #34,725 of 40,606
I never posted a picture of the @doctorjuggles gold/silver cable I had him make for me. It definitely gives EVO the bling factor it deserves. It did change the sound for me, so I had to change from Azla SednaEarfit to cp145 tips and now its perfect.

EVO and DoctorJuggles.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back