Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Sep 30, 2019 at 3:32 PM Post #19,893 of 40,565
you can check it yourself... listen from your phone after that from a decent source .... with a good amp .. and tell me you hear no difference :D
would legit love to see double blind of, say, the Apple USB C dongle vs. Chord Mojo or iFi Micro iDSD Black Label. I'd very much like to see it, in fact...

Sep 30, 2019 at 3:48 PM Post #19,894 of 40,565
Love @crinacle 's writeup. I am guilty of breaking all his rules as we seem to be lacking an appropriate vocabulary as audiophiles to describe the quality results of audiophile equipment. None of these terms are very useful or align with reviews so why bother. IMO, it is the implementation of the underlying electronics which is undescribable in typical technical rating terms. When trying to break from these limited terms, we keep getting pulled back by "Experts" to these same electrical engineering terms that seem very irrelevant to what we are hearing. The best I can do is describe "sweet spots" where these items sound there best individually or paired together to maximize SQ in my opinion. For example, the Legend X sounds wonderful but goes to extraordinary when the volume is turned up on my X/WM1a paring. Across all sources, the X SQ is IMO at its best when turned up to higher volumes than I typically listen. This is not really a power discussion but an optimized volume sweet spot discussion. But you can see how it gets pulled back to power. Now pairing it with my 1950 cable, somehow that required volume for maximum SQ IMO goes down to more comfortable levels while detail goes through the roof. Pairing? Power? or optimized sweet spots? I don't know how to describe it, but it is real for me. :)

Sep 30, 2019 at 3:54 PM Post #19,895 of 40,565
Love @crinacle 's writeup. I am guilty of breaking all his rules as we seem to be lacking an appropriate vocabulary as audiophiles to describe the quality results of audiophile equipment. None of these terms are very useful or align with reviews so why bother. IMO, it is the implementation of the underlying electronics which is undescribable in typical technical rating terms. When trying to break from these limited terms, we keep getting pulled back by "Experts" to these same electrical engineering terms that seem very irrelevant to what we are hearing. The best I can do is describe "sweet spots" where these items sound there best individually or paired together to maximize SQ in my opinion. For example, the Legend X sounds wonderful but goes to extraordinary when the volume is turned up on my X/WM1a paring. Across all sources, the X SQ is IMO at its best when turned up to higher volumes than I typically listen. This is not really a power discussion but an optimized volume sweet spot discussion. But you can see how it gets pulled back to power. Now pairing it with my 1950 cable, somehow that required volume for maximum SQ IMO goes down to more comfortable levels while detail goes through the roof. Pairing? Power? or optimized sweet spots? I don't know how to describe it, but it is real for me. :)
it is .. i tried the LX with my iphone .. and the phone alone cant even drive them loud enough....to reach that "spot" :)

Sep 30, 2019 at 4:40 PM Post #19,896 of 40,565
would legit love to see double blind of, say, the Apple USB C dongle vs. Chord Mojo or iFi Micro iDSD Black Label. I'd very much like to see it, in fact...
I could notice between Galaxy S10, Iphone Dongle and AK SE100 using my A12t and LX. But IF I never heard my SE100 I would probable be happy with the Galaxy S10 (as I still use it sometimes when don't want to carry a DAP).

Sep 30, 2019 at 7:27 PM Post #19,899 of 40,565
Got that email too. For 750 it is actually a really good deal and hard to beat if you're looking for a neutral sound.

Sep 30, 2019 at 8:17 PM Post #19,901 of 40,565
For a grand it's a really good deal. For $750 it's a what are you waiting for?
Don't like that shell colour/shape. :)

Edit: give an Zeus with the onix black colour/shape of the LX and I will throw my money at you blind folded. :)

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2019 at 2:19 AM Post #19,902 of 40,565
Just my experience, but when I had Legend X over I found myself turning up the volume simply to get the full joy out of that bass, but when I switched cables (X6 Tri-Copper) I got that at a slightly lower volume. I have that more often. When there is one aspect of the signature I really like, I will try to accentuate that part. Has nothing to do with power or anything like that, just me wanting to focus on that one aspect. I love good bass, so when bass is a good quality but tuned too politely (not talking about Legend X here, btw :wink: ), I sometimes find myself raising the volume even though it might push it to fatiguing levels. Changing the pairing (or using EQ) in such a way that the one aspect of the signature gets accentuated, helps to avoid the need to push the volume.

Oct 1, 2019 at 4:09 AM Post #19,903 of 40,565
I ended up returning the Valkyrie. It just didn't have the impact I was hoping for, and combined with a lot of treble became a turn-off to me.

Oct 1, 2019 at 4:31 AM Post #19,904 of 40,565
Not sure if this is invitation only, but I got an e-mail today from Drop with a link to the Massdrop x Empire Ears Zeus with $250. Valid until 10/1. Might prompt some folks who were considering it to pull the triger.

so wait , Zeus for just 750$ ? link ?

man , what a BARGAIN.....

Oct 1, 2019 at 7:31 AM Post #19,905 of 40,565

Users who are viewing this thread

Back