Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Sep 26, 2019 at 11:19 AM Post #19,861 of 40,560
I enjoyed the Valkyrie more than the Legend X. To my ears, the Legend X had more depth to the stage but less width. Valkyrie mids were smoother, highs more present and shimmered more, and the bass was brought more in line with the rest of the sound. Driver flex with the W9 is still annoying when inserting/adjusting, but tolerable when you're just listening.
The Wraith wasn't my cup of tea. I fed it multiple sources (SP2K SS, micro BL, Note 9) and it sounded vastly different on all 3. Its bass, even compared to BA setups like the VX/U18t/U12t, didn't impress. I preferred the Khan for razor-sharp imaging. Perhaps the Wraith fits a classical libary more, but the KSE might even edge it out there.

Sep 26, 2019 at 12:30 PM Post #19,862 of 40,560
I enjoyed the Valkyrie more than the Legend X. To my ears, the Legend X had more depth to the stage but less width. Valkyrie mids were smoother, highs more present and shimmered more, and the bass was brought more in line with the rest of the sound. Driver flex with the W9 is still annoying when inserting/adjusting, but tolerable when you're just listening.
The Wraith wasn't my cup of tea. I fed it multiple sources (SP2K SS, micro BL, Note 9) and it sounded vastly different on all 3. Its bass, even compared to BA setups like the VX/U18t/U12t, didn't impress. I preferred the Khan for razor-sharp imaging. Perhaps the Wraith fits a classical libary more, but the KSE might even edge it out there.
Re: the Wraith, I think it's probably highly dependent on source impedance...

Sep 26, 2019 at 12:40 PM Post #19,863 of 40,560
I do want to talk about power sources re: the LX and in general a bit, though... can anybody explain this to me? More power ostensibly just means a higher max volume, so that certainly can't be it. People talk about "dynamics", but I don't understand what that has to do with power. My best guess as to what the relevance of power output is is that amplifier output isn't perfect across the power spectrum—perhaps at levels near the min and max possible by the amp, it's not outputting flatly across the frequency spectrum? Maybe given different impedances across the frequency spectrum (as discussed before, particularly in multi-driver sets), you need to put more power into certain frequency bands, so it's better to have the headroom? I dunno, but I'm interested in knowing.

Sep 26, 2019 at 1:04 PM Post #19,864 of 40,560
Well, I made the tough decision to return Valkyrie. Not because I don't like it, but more because I can't justify having three $1,500+ IEMs (along with LCD-4z). Only have 2 ears and so many hours in the day to listen to music and I find I prefer listening to LX or Phantom more for what they do best. If I could only have one of the three, it probably would be Valkyrie because I think it's the best all rounder for the music I enjoy.

Sep 26, 2019 at 11:27 PM Post #19,866 of 40,560
I do want to talk about power sources re: the LX and in general a bit, though... can anybody explain this to me? More power ostensibly just means a higher max volume, so that certainly can't be it. People talk about "dynamics", but I don't understand what that has to do with power. My best guess as to what the relevance of power output is is that amplifier output isn't perfect across the power spectrum—perhaps at levels near the min and max possible by the amp, it's not outputting flatly across the frequency spectrum? Maybe given different impedances across the frequency spectrum (as discussed before, particularly in multi-driver sets), you need to put more power into certain frequency bands, so it's better to have the headroom? I dunno, but I'm interested in knowing.
Think like how hard it is to a V8 5.0l 500hp drive at 100km/h and an i4 1.0l 100hp to drive at the same speed and both want to go to 120km/h. At some point both will be at 120, but who will struggle more? would be similar to power to audio.

Sep 26, 2019 at 11:32 PM Post #19,867 of 40,560

Valkyrie is really amazing, no doubt.
The problem I had with it was that it was too amazing. The abundance of bass/treble at the same time really made my brain confused.
Tomorrow I am doing my final demo of Legend X and Valkyrie, to decide which one to get... Really tough decision.

Sep 27, 2019 at 12:27 AM Post #19,868 of 40,560
I actually tried the LX again and really enjoyed it. I first tried it at a CanJam where it was loud and I was trying all kinds of different iems. I didn't really get to give them a proper chance, but now that I have, everything that you guys have said in this thread holds true.

They're still not my preferred signature but I definitely could see myself owning a pair if the Valks hadn't come out.

I spent like 5 hours with Empire today including lunch, toured the facility and got to see everything. Empire's as real as it gets and it shows in their products.

Aside from the fun I had, I'm glad I came to pick them up in person. I had to have some minor fit adjustments done so I'll pick them up tomorrow before I fly home.

Sep 27, 2019 at 1:13 AM Post #19,869 of 40,560
I actually tried the LX again and really enjoyed it. I first tried it at a CanJam where it was loud and I was trying all kinds of different iems. I didn't really get to give them a proper chance, but now that I have, everything that you guys have said in this thread holds true.

They're still not my preferred signature but I definitely could see myself owning a pair if the Valks hadn't come out.

I spent like 5 hours with Empire today including lunch, toured the facility and got to see everything. Empire's as real as it gets and it shows in their products.

Aside from the fun I had, I'm glad I came to pick them up in person. I had to have some minor fit adjustments done so I'll pick them up tomorrow before I fly home.
That actually SERIOUSLY reminds me of another situation! I used to be really into craft beer, and once went to a bottle share (which is what it sounds like--eberybidy brings bottles of different beers to share) where somebody brought a really high ABV (like... 20%) stout aged in Bourbon barrels and with a bunch of other stuff added. I'd already had a bunch of different beers, and when I finally tried that one, it just tasted like a sugary, boozy, mess. I took two sips and gave the rest away--absolutely didn't care for it.

Some time later, I got to try it on a nice winter evening while snowed in with a friend--it was amazing! I could taste all of the complexity to it, and I had a full half of the 750mL bottle. Completely different experience.

I guess if you've already been at a loud place for a while, your ears are getting hit with all sorts of noise, and they're not really prepared for something that's so complex yet so bold--in the fatigued state, that complexity can get lost, and the boldness can come off as being one-noted.

I'm glad you tried it again, and also glad that you got what you wanted! The Empire folks really are a treat, and that's a nice place to spend a few hours :).

Sep 27, 2019 at 12:36 PM Post #19,870 of 40,560
That actually SERIOUSLY reminds me of another situation! I used to be really into craft beer, and once went to a bottle share (which is what it sounds like--eberybidy brings bottles of different beers to share) where somebody brought a really high ABV (like... 20%) stout aged in Bourbon barrels and with a bunch of other stuff added. I'd already had a bunch of different beers, and when I finally tried that one, it just tasted like a sugary, boozy, mess. I took two sips and gave the rest away--absolutely didn't care for it.

Some time later, I got to try it on a nice winter evening while snowed in with a friend--it was amazing! I could taste all of the complexity to it, and I had a full half of the 750mL bottle. Completely different experience.
Interesting analogy and I think there's validity to it. I think hearing, taste, etc. as biological functions can be affected by our mood, the environment, psychological state, etc. I've also read studies that your tastes buds change every 5-7 years, so things you didn't like before you might like next time you try it and vice versa (I try olives every now and again because of this, but still hate them with a pasion, lol). Wouldn't be surprised if there was some of that with hearing as well!

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2019 at 11:46 AM Post #19,874 of 40,560
anyone here who knows/loves this electro/soul/disco masterpiece ?

think something groovy like Daft Punk ,only 100 times more original and 1000 times more enjoyable....

this should be a blast on a Legend X

Users who are viewing this thread

Back