1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)

1. Van Gogh
    I have a serious decision crisis haha.
    Just bought A&K SP2000. Already have Ak&K T8IE, which is great, but have had it for last 4 years and want to change things up a bit as well as get my 1st CIEM.

Deciding between EE Legend X and Valkyre.
    Like both a lot for different reasons.
    - Treble seems more bright/engaging on Valkyre which is good, but in a way, it might be too much for me. I feel like because Valkyre is so good at both bass and treble, my brain gets confused, too much audio stimulation.
    - Legend X, I like it not so much as for bass, I just feel like it sounds more coherent and to the point.

To sum up, when I listen to Legend X I feel like I am listening to very good floor speakers. Valkyrie has the upper hand for immersion/3D kind of sound.
    It's tough to choose lol.
    Leaning more towards the Legend X as of now though...

2. Rozeqloud
    i find the LX sure sounds epic on the N8

i listen to almost all genres, from extreme death/black metal, Weather report to Ozric tentacles-Muddy Waters-Joy Division-Bach...etc

No,i havent listened to any classical yet on my N8 and X yet tho

Now i wonder how the tubes would do Stravinskys rite of spring Hmmm

cr3ativ3 likes this.
  3. cr3ativ3
    I liked them the ALO CDM too :)

Rozeqloud likes this.
  4. fsi22
    For me the Legend X upper mids and treble were the highlight. Treble was smooth with no sudden peaks or dips.

5. Van Gogh
    Yeah, the more I remember back the more I realize I liked Legend X more than Valkyre. (As good as Valkyre is).
    Legend X sound is very very addictive... It's stuck in my head lol.

diadack, mr.karmalicious and cr3ativ3 like this.
  6. SBranson
    Do not feel bad... I am an anomaly in this... I am also very confused why I haven't been able to warm up to these. I wish I could afford a top tier source to really know what's up but I'm going to keep trying. I just had another 12 hour day after a 10 hour yesterday and 11 on Saturday (trying to get a timber frame roof finished while working around the rain)... pretty tired even for listening.. Hopefully the XDP300r will arrive by the weekend.

mr.karmalicious likes this.
  7. CrocodileDundee
    Do you think ALO CDM is still a good buy these days? (considering is in the market for sometime now, should have an update on the way, maybe)

8. singleended5863
    Yes. ALO CDM is still an excellent tube amp if you get good vintage tubes. :smile_phones:

9. cr3ativ3
    The sound is very good . But I sold mine .. cause of extreme hiss with some iems ...

10. CrocodileDundee
    Thanks guys, I saw a few "sales" around for it, but the price is still quite steep. And I really would like to try the amazing tubes world.

Did you noticed hiss on any EE or 64a IEM? (If you have, of course

11. cr3ativ3
    With CDM ? Slight hiss with legend x but not really noticeable when the music plays . ( low gain )
    CDM was unlistenable with Solaris to extreme hiss

12. singleended5863
    I still have couple AOL amp and somehow Kent couldn’t cure the hiss in his products. However, CDM is the best tube portable amp I ever listened but the rare tunes are so expensive. I just found the Mullard CV sold for $240. :anguished:

13. cr3ativ3
    Yes I loved the sound with X :) I new version without hissing issue would be awesome

14. cr3ativ3
    Nvm...

Last edited: Sep 25, 2019
  15. diadack
    I preferred the sound of the Legend X as well. For me it is the more coherent listening experience even with the overwhelming bass bleed at times. I do love how amazingly smooth the LX is, its so luscious and feels like a warm hug. However I did not let them burn in over the 100+ hours recommended by EE. Apparently the bass relaxes a tad and becomes tighter but I'm not sure by how much exactly.
    The Valkyrie just felt off to me like it didnt know what it wanted to do tonally, maybe its really genre and mastering dependent but nothing was mind blowing especially for the price. I would say the LX sounds and feels like a TOTL iem and fits well in its price range but the Valks didnt sound much better than the Tinhifi P1. It has some added space and clarity but the price to performance ratio is extremely small on these in ears. I tried burning the Valks in for about a day and there wasn't that much of a difference in sound signature to me. Maybe more would have helped but again I'm not so sure. The tuning wasn't what I normally would prefer either.

Colors and Van Gogh like this.