Earsonics SM3 fall apart
Oct 14, 2010 at 8:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 35

Kvakac

New Head-Fier
Hey guys,
Something really unfortunate happened to me today. One of the phones just fell apart at the spot where the two parts were glued together.
I've noticed there's a small crack there a while ago, but I didn't think they'll fall apart.
Do you think I should send it back for repair, or I can just glue the parts back together by myself ?
Thanks for advice.

Oct 14, 2010 at 8:30 AM Post #2 of 35
Bummer.  That kind of happened to me, except the nozzle bit came off.  I sent mine back for repair and got them back pretty quickly, so I dunno if thats your best course of action. 

Looks like some glue will sort it easily enough, without you resorting to sending them off.

Thats the first pic I've seen showing the inside of the SM3. Looks very neat in there. Funny how something so simply put together can cost so much, but there you go....

Oct 14, 2010 at 8:51 AM Post #3 of 35
Interesting!
If this kind of thing happened to me, I would change the cable and use a Sennheiser IE8 cable instead. The stock cable is good, but now the winter arrives, I am really beginning to hate the short cable lenght between the splitter and the iems (as I'm wearing a scarf).
Or I could manage to make a replaceable cable with my old Super Fi cable connectors and a Westone cable.

Oct 14, 2010 at 10:49 AM Post #4 of 35
What did I miss? How did a second SM3 thread managed to get locked down? On second thought, nevermind. SM3 is still doing it for me, although right now the FX700 and HJE900 are my favorites to listen to. I'm expecting the Klipsch Custom 3 in the mail today. I'll let you guys know how it dual armatures compared to the SM3 and SM2.

Oct 14, 2010 at 12:51 PM Post #9 of 35

Quote:
Hey guys,
Something really unfortunate happened to me today. One of the phones just fell apart at the spot where the two parts were glued together.
I've noticed there's a small crack there a while ago, but I didn't think they'll fall apart.
Do you think I should send it back for repair, or I can just glue the parts back together by myself ?
Thanks for advice.

Send them back. If you fix it yourself, what will you do when they break again in some other way?

Oct 14, 2010 at 12:53 PM Post #10 of 35

Quote:
What did I miss? How did a second SM3 thread managed to get locked down? On second thought, nevermind. SM3 is still doing it for me, although right now the FX700 and HJE900 are my favorites to listen to. I'm expecting the Klipsch Custom 3 in the mail today. I'll let you guys know how it dual armatures compared to the SM3 and SM2.

This would be fantastic.

Oct 14, 2010 at 4:27 PM Post #11 of 35

Quote:
Hey guys,
Thanks for advice.

I'd send them back to Earsonics (or wherever you got them from) for 2 reasons: a) you'd be making 100% sure your set would still be covered by the manufacture's warranty and b) if you decide to sell them at some point, you'd be selling a product that is in mint or near mint condition.

Quote:

Your post has nothing to do with the advice the OP is seeking.

Oct 14, 2010 at 6:17 PM Post #12 of 35
Doing any sort of self-repair or mod, beyond changing the eartips (or cables, but only if they're replaceable in the first place) is an almost sure-fire way to void your manufacturer's warranty. Probably not a good idea for a $400 item.

(And don't think the mfr won't notice if you try even the most seemingly-benign mod work. Just to open an earphone housing then close it up again, is already asking for trouble.)

First step should be to contact the mfr's support, and see how they suggest to handle it. Who knows, maybe they'll even recommend/allow you to glue it? Et voila! But the first step should be to check with them, not with random people on a forum.

Oct 14, 2010 at 8:42 PM Post #13 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by music_4321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Your post has nothing to do with the advice the OP is seeking.

And this does? 
rolleyes.gif

Oct 14, 2010 at 11:20 PM Post #15 of 35
I know that Mr. Lopez is aware of the concerns of many on this forum about the build quality of the SM2 and 3. I also spoke with him on the phone suggesting something be done about the case. They do have a chance to make history among professional monitors, but they've not taken it yet. Following Westone's lead with very cheap, very thin plastic housing for a 400$ iem is selfish. I hope that this problems can be fixed at the manufacturing portion. Redesign is needed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back