Earsonics SM3 Appreciation Thread - Third Time is a Charm?
May 13, 2011 at 10:11 AM Post #961 of 1,687

Quote:
I have sent in my EarSonics SM3 in for repair (broke the cable and one of the drivers....)
and they offered me an alternative to upgrade to the SM3 v2 if I would choose the maintenance and modification offer (71.76 EUR) and the EM and SM series Cable (45 EUR).
This is what I did as it is 86.76 (edit) more than the calculated
repaircosts. Well worth the shot I would say for that difference in cash.

Nice! Please post impressions of the v2's once you have them! 

May 13, 2011 at 10:17 PM Post #962 of 1,687

Just received my V1's from SoundEarphones.

initial imprssion:
-- burn-in is real on these. The sound opened up a lot within the first hour of playing. No this is not some "mental burn-in", I didn't listen the whole hour, only checked the sond once-in-a-while, and I used my ER4P as reference to compare the sound each time. The change is very real and quite obvious.
-- detectable housing resonance, if I play certain percussion tracks. Pressing on the housing reduces the fuzzy-ness. Not the recording's problem, I don't hear the fuzzy-ness if I play the track on my electrostatic rig.
-- voice is a little "nasal". From the housing as well, maybe?
-- very good bass (much more powerful than the ER4p; texture quality about the same), very good highs (no obvious roll-off). These phones can ROCK!
-- not comfy to me. Doesn't lock into my ears, I can get a good seal but I have to hold pretty still to keep it that way.
-- don't like the cable. there are only three wires connecting from the plug to the Y, this definitly degrades the sound (you want seperate ground for each channel, all the way to the plug). Maybe the V2's detachable cable is a 4-wire design? that will be a big improvement.

Finally, I don't know why you guys all say the SM3 doesn't benefit from a good amp. The difference between my modded Sony D11 ( Vitamin-Q for signal coupling, OS-Con for output) and my little micro-power desktop amp is huge (iMod/Diymod as source), transparency and detail improves a lot when using the desktop set-up, the sound stage width, in particular, expends by 50% (soundstage width with D11 is cheekbone to cheekbone; with desktop amp is 1" passing each ear, about the same as full size over-the-ear phones), sound imaging is a lot more precise too;  

( Sony D11 headphone-out in stock condition it is already better sounding than a iPod Video heaphone out, the mods then improve the SQ a couple of notches further. I have not heard the iPod classics headphone-out, but I doubt it is that much better than the iPod video's. So don't count on any DAP's headphone-out to sound better than this modded D11
wink_face.gif
)

May 14, 2011 at 8:52 PM Post #963 of 1,687
>-- voice is a little "nasal". From the housing as well, maybe?

for BAs housing doesn't affect the sound since the sound never hits it (aside from the nozzle) .

>-- don't like the cable. there are only three wires connecting from the plug to the Y, this definitly degrades the sound (you want seperate ground for each channel, all the way to the plug).

lol... it's one electrical connection either way...Unless you go balanced, the number 2 ground wires terminating at the grnd pin make 0 difference.

May 14, 2011 at 11:32 PM Post #964 of 1,687

Quote:
>-- voice is a little "nasal". From the housing as well, maybe?

for BAs housing doesn't affect the sound since the sound never hits it (aside from the nozzle) .

>-- don't like the cable. there are only three wires connecting from the plug to the Y, this definitly degrades the sound (you want seperate ground for each channel, all the way to the plug).

lol... it's one electrical connection either way...Unless you go balanced, the number 2 ground wires terminating at the grnd pin make 0 difference.

the drivers are in the housing, and vibrating, no?

and the "lol" part.....there is something called "star ground" when doing circuit design.

May 15, 2011 at 2:25 AM Post #966 of 1,687
Isn't all the vibration enclosed in the BAs chamber? I really wouldn't attribute much to housing material to BAs, dynamics are another matter because housing material/shape is important (and underrated) on those. 

May 18, 2011 at 1:17 PM Post #967 of 1,687

Quote:
cn11 wrote: Nice! Please post impressions of the v2's once you have them!

I am no audio expert but I will see what I can do.
For what it's worth, I will atleast post some pictures for you when they arrive. 

May 18, 2011 at 2:59 PM Post #968 of 1,687

Quote:

Just received my V1's from SoundEarphones.

initial imprssion:
-- burn-in is real on these. The sound opened up a lot within the first hour of playing. No this is not some "mental burn-in", I didn't listen the whole hour, only checked the sond once-in-a-while, and I used my ER4P as reference to compare the sound each time. The change is very real and quite obvious.
-- detectable housing resonance, if I play certain percussion tracks. Pressing on the housing reduces the fuzzy-ness. Not the recording's problem, I don't hear the fuzzy-ness if I play the track on my electrostatic rig.
-- voice is a little "nasal". From the housing as well, maybe?
-- very good bass (much more powerful than the ER4p; texture quality about the same), very good highs (no obvious roll-off). These phones can ROCK!
-- not comfy to me. Doesn't lock into my ears, I can get a good seal but I have to hold pretty still to keep it that way.
-- don't like the cable. there are only three wires connecting from the plug to the Y, this definitly degrades the sound (you want seperate ground for each channel, all the way to the plug). Maybe the V2's detachable cable is a 4-wire design? that will be a big improvement.

Finally, I don't know why you guys all say the SM3 doesn't benefit from a good amp. The difference between my modded Sony D11 ( Vitamin-Q for signal coupling, OS-Con for output) and my little micro-power desktop amp is huge (iMod/Diymod as source), transparency and detail improves a lot when using the desktop set-up, the sound stage width, in particular, expends by 50% (soundstage width with D11 is cheekbone to cheekbone; with desktop amp is 1" passing each ear, about the same as full size over-the-ear phones), sound imaging is a lot more precise too;  

( Sony D11 headphone-out in stock condition it is already better sounding than a iPod Video heaphone out, the mods then improve the SQ a couple of notches further. I have not heard the iPod classics headphone-out, but I doubt it is that much better than the iPod video's. So don't count on any DAP's headphone-out to sound better than this modded D11
wink_face.gif
)

Super cool rig there. I love the combination of current day IEMs along with the old school D11 and the tube amp. The SM3s sure can rock when called to...... 

May 18, 2011 at 8:14 PM Post #969 of 1,687
Having cable issues with my custom, so I'm rocking the SM2 today. I forgot how great these universals sound. Wonderful!!

May 19, 2011 at 3:58 PM Post #971 of 1,687

Quote:
what you gone and done to your quad cables Eric buddy ? glad to have you back slumming it with us universal guys !
beyersmile.png

A pin broke while trying to change a cable @ luco (luckily not inside the whole). But the pin holes have never been really tight on the right monitor (it would slip off sometimes, luckily while in my ear). Buying a new cable, but the 1964 EARS people were gracious enough to ask me to send in my monitors so they can take a look at them. They're still under warranty, and they may refit the connectors for me. Mine you, the monitors have never failed on me...It was a cable issue. I'm missing them already, but I am enjoying the SM2 ...

May 20, 2011 at 10:59 AM Post #972 of 1,687
Sorry to hear that hope it gets fixed sending you a deadly pm virus loaded with.......naked pics, and bla bla I'm sure you'll enjoy 
tongue_smile.gif

May 20, 2011 at 11:35 AM Post #973 of 1,687

Quote:
Sorry to hear that hope it gets fixed sending you a deadly pm virus loaded with.......naked pics, and bla bla I'm sure you'll enjoy 
tongue_smile.gif

What a pal!! lol

May 20, 2011 at 1:46 PM Post #974 of 1,687
No prob buddy, I sent if off should be reaching you any minute.

As far as the cable problem hope it gets fixed have you found any fault in their sound sig so far. I know you adore them 
basshead.gif

beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back