Earsonics SM3 Appreciation Thread - Third Time is a Charm?
Apr 19, 2011 at 2:21 AM Post #932 of 1,687
Went with the Shure Olives PA910S 
etysmile.gif

I'm considering getting Sensorcom's double flanges for my SM3s. However, I have rather small ear canals. I was wondering if someone could give me an indication of their size? Unfortunately, there's not much point in my purchasing them if they won't fit.

Also, might anyone have tried the Puresound Eartips, also from Sensorcom? Would be helpful if we could hear about it!

Apr 19, 2011 at 6:34 PM Post #933 of 1,687
Been listening to these...  What can I say, these are quite special.

That is all (for now), happy listening!
smile.gif

Apr 20, 2011 at 7:53 AM Post #934 of 1,687
guys, just a simple question i would like to ask.

anybody else listens to their music with the SM3 at the first notch using an iphone 3GS or itouch 3G? it is the same for the metal bands (as i lay dying, all that remains, opeth, lamb of god, A7X, BFMV, metallica etc) and orchestral music such as the ones from the "distant worlds: music from final fantasy" i bought from their website. all are ripped in to FLAC then converted into ALAC.

when i use my IE8s, i set them at least 3 notches from zero volume for the exact same songs in my playlists on both devices.

i have a vinyl-ripped copy of "enter sandman" by metallica and i use 4 notches from zero volume on both my devices.

are my ears sensitive or are these IEMs loud?

EDIT: sound check option is turned off and no EQ is applied (=

Apr 21, 2011 at 2:37 AM Post #936 of 1,687
Haha Thanks for the idea dweaver.  I just switched my double flage tips for the olive shures and its just like you said... haha I liked the other tips but this is just funner!  Thanks!

Quote:
It's been quite a while since I posted in this thread. To be honest I have been planning to send my SM3 back and get them reshelled/fixed under warranty if possible and then sell them. But I recently bought my first pair of Shure IEM's (SE215) and while I quickly tried my Sensorcom tips from my SM3 on them it only dawned on me tonight to try the Shure tips on the SM3. All I can say is the Olives do something for me with the SM3. Suddenly the bass has more kick to it and even the treble is lifted a bit. This has caught me off guard as I expected more of a Comply type effect with even more reduced treble.

It just shows how tip dependent these are and how these can go from blah to fun and enjoyable if a person can just get the right mix. The jury is still out if these will stay in my stable but right now I am at least leaning back that way.

Apr 21, 2011 at 11:14 PM Post #939 of 1,687

Quote:

i always though it was otherwise, but it could be my rusty math thats the cause.

thought that was a very smart comment, no?
cool.gif

but the IE8 is 125dB@ 1V RMS, the SM3 is 122dB @ 1mW, apple and orange specs.

to truly compare them: the iE8 is 16 ohm impedance, 1V RMS generate about 62mW, so the 125db /1vRMS turns into roughly 108dB/mW, a bit lower than SM3's 122dB.

The "first notch" listening with SM3 doesn't surprise me, my ER4P is 106dB/1mW and I listen at the 20% volume.

Apr 22, 2011 at 12:08 AM Post #940 of 1,687
Couldn't get into these at all so up for sale! The behind the head soundstage was cool, but the muddy veil just ruined thing. Plus, it had that annoying issue of taking forever to get a good fit. 

Apr 22, 2011 at 3:02 AM Post #941 of 1,687
If you came from bright phones, then top-tier warm-phones will not be for you...or it will take more time adjusting to their SQ. You had previously your Silver Bullet, MDs and EQ5 and you already sold them...so may also be the same for SM3, RE262, W4, and EQ7. And I thought you're going to use your J3 DAP and will even it a bit but it did not work. So you may look other bright iems then...or stick to your DBA-02s or CK10, MTPC for dynamic, they may be your cup of tea.

Apr 23, 2011 at 8:28 AM Post #942 of 1,687
Got my reply regarding how tightly Earsonics matches the drivers if anyone's interested:

Franck EarSonics to me

Hi,

I have understood your question. Our SM3 are perfectly matched to have the same L R response. (+ - 0,5db)

When you do remolding, it's modify the sound and can modify L R matching of course..

sincerely,
Franck LOPEZ

Apr 23, 2011 at 10:29 AM Post #943 of 1,687
Thanks for this - I like the sound of it. 

Quote:
Got my reply regarding how tightly Earsonics matches the drivers if anyone's interested:

Quote:
Franck EarSonics to me

Hi,

I have understood your question. Our SM3 are perfectly matched to have the same L R response. (+ - 0,5db)

When you do remolding, it's modify the sound and can modify L R matching of course..

sincerely,
Franck LOPEZ

May 2, 2011 at 8:41 PM Post #944 of 1,687
I was wondering if any one could shed some light on this for me.  I have my sm3's and whenever they are plugged into my maverick audio tubemagic d1 with an Lm4562 in the headphone stage they sound like crap. there is no depth to the music, the highs don't shine and it just sounds like its playing mono through a cardboard tube.  The same thing happens when i have it plugged into my marantz pm8004.  With any pmp i have tried it with(sflo2, sony nwz-e344, iphone 4, sansa clip rockboxed no eq changes), they sound awesome. I just dont understand.  My trials have all been with lossless flac 16bit-24bit and cds from my cd player marantz dv-12s1. No issue like this with monster md, dt990 250ohm, or grado sr225i. Thanks everyone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back