***Earbud Guide - 22 Earbuds compared***
Mar 8, 2012 at 2:36 PM Post #481 of 611
I made a small chart for people to easily get to.  Total rip off from Jokers style, totally plagiarized ha! But seriously, maybe that can get info to people a little quicker than reading a wall of text idk, I'm super lazy to I assume most others are as well.  Either way, the Paa Pro and Live review are coming soon, I've got work to do hehe *wink wink

Mar 9, 2012 at 3:24 AM Post #483 of 611
Its quite scary actually, as I compare both the PK1 and the M2C sitting here at my desk.  If I flip the bass boost switch on my Fiio E10, the PK1 distorts heavily and sounds overblown, where as the Blox just gets more bass deepness.  I feel comfortable saying the PK1 and the Charm are the most similar.  Both are 150ohm and require a ton of power to drive properly, once you get that power the stage does open up in deepness and dynamics, but even then the Bass is anemic and easily overdriven.   Both the PK1 and the Charm have a slightly dark, muffled experience with a wider than tall, distant sound, the Charm just has more bass and a bit less clarity.  

If you really like the PK1, you are going to love the Hisound Paa1 Pro, its basically the PK1 on massive amounts of steroids.  Its fun, well colored, more clear, more dynamic, more spacious and has a ton more bass yet its only $49.  Sell your pk1 and buy a Live for your reference listening and the Pro for your fun time :)

Mar 9, 2012 at 4:08 AM Post #485 of 611
Prayer, manifestation or extreme luck are really the only ways I can think of.  I got immensely lucky.   The full name of the model is TWIN TURBO FONTOPIA MDR-E557B. Its no surprise its a great set, Aiwa and Sony made incredible stuff in the late 1980s up through the mid 90s.  Good luck :)

Mar 9, 2012 at 12:35 PM Post #487 of 611

Quote:
Its quite scary actually, as I compare both the PK1 and the M2C sitting here at my desk.  If I flip the bass boost switch on my Fiio E10, the PK1 distorts heavily and sounds overblown, where as the Blox just gets more bass deepness.  I feel comfortable saying the PK1 and the Charm are the most similar.  Both are 150ohm and require a ton of power to drive properly, once you get that power the stage does open up in deepness and dynamics, but even then the Bass is anemic and easily overdriven.   Both the PK1 and the Charm have a slightly dark, muffled experience with a wider than tall, distant sound, the Charm just has more bass and a bit less clarity.  

If you really like the PK1, you are going to love the Hisound Paa1 Pro, its basically the PK1 on massive amounts of steroids.  Its fun, well colored, more clear, more dynamic, more spacious and has a ton more bass yet its only $49.  Sell your pk1 and buy a Live for your reference listening and the Pro for your fun time :)

Thank you for the information.  A cheap alternative to the PK1 will be a welcome addition.

Mar 13, 2012 at 10:14 PM Post #490 of 611
I am always disappointed with my new gear right out of the box and through the first few days.  I recommend 50 hours of actual usage, not burn in, before making any hard decisions.  Most people say 100+ hours, I think the human brain and ears are sensitive enough and smart enough to know by the 50th hour if you will enjoy them for another few thousand hours or not.  

The Blox is an all around good set with high marks in all areas and I do think it will open up and your ears will adjust over a short period of time and usage. 

-mike

Mar 21, 2012 at 8:16 AM Post #491 of 611
Thanks for this great thread.

I found that I really loved the MX880s, particularly in terms of detail and separation and its 'big' sound. I said to myself I would just repeat buy these for ever but I am very tempted by the PAA-1 Pros. How do they compare?

They're close in price. I don't really want to pay more as I lose these things at a frightening rate.

Mar 21, 2012 at 10:46 AM Post #492 of 611
My Paa1 Pro review is put on hold for another week or so until I get home from a business trip.  But, as it stands I would be choosing the Pro and the Live as my main Earbuds and I think its just an overall better deal all around.

Mar 22, 2012 at 11:24 PM Post #494 of 611
Hisound Pro Added.

Quote:
I'm really enjoying the Living.  I can give up the bass quantity for soundstage.

I would agree so long as the Bass is balanced and not lacking compared to the mids or highs.  In the case of the Living, its heavily imbalanced a'la Audio Technica AD700 or AKG K701.  Just very thin and not much going on in terms of omnipresence.  That low end is only there when there are moments of significant bass, otherwise its barren and void of bass presence.  The Live and Pro have a very nice low end presence.  Still though, I am very excited to hear the new Living model coming out.  I am not sure if its a Living 2.0, or something else entirely.   I know its an Artist branded logo model, but Hisound tells me its far better than the Living which would make it worthy of mention in the High End forums here on Head Fi.  I hope its a Pro or Live on steroids and not like the Living though.  I want a warmer fun experience with yet more bass than the Sunrise Charm and with insane quality along with it, and of course, giant, massive soundstaging.  I am asking too much, but if anyone can produce such a dream earbud, its Hisoundaudio.

Mar 30, 2012 at 1:17 AM Post #495 of 611
so the 980's are still king?

i'm considering getting back into the top end earbud game.

sounds like waiting for your hisound living review may be the way to go.. any idea when it will arrive?

thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back