***Earbud Guide - 22 Earbuds compared***
Feb 25, 2012 at 6:32 AM Post #451 of 611
Well, there are a lot of short people with small ears that the MX980 will pop right out of if you even move your head around a little ( like me ) and there are a lot of tall people with larger ears that get a much nicer fit.  It was clearly not intended for younger, shorter or people with smaller ears.  The better way to go would have been to design it a bit smaller to accommodate every type of ear.  Being that was overlooked, I strongly feel it deserves an uncomfortable rating.  A larger user base was overlooked.  

I emailed them last night, hopefully they will give me a call back soon.  I think the MX980 is too great to not revise and make more user friendly.  

Feb 25, 2012 at 7:26 AM Post #452 of 611
If size become most important Sennheiser may sacrifice audio quality in order to make housing fit for literally everyone's ears (like Apple earbuds). Most higher-end earphones do incorporate larger, sometimes a bit odd looking shells, it's a common practice and I do believe it's a design choice made to accmoplish best possible sound. Of course MX980 is not perfect ergonomic-wise, they deserve some tweaks here and there, but making them significantly smaller would be worst idea ever. I understand there are some people unsatisfied with MX980 fit, but you literally making them in your statements as if they're practically unsubale, based on your own experience and impressions by a few more people. It's got to be clearly stated that many others enjoy MX980 and find them fit nicely. I'm not tall person, nor do I have elephant ears and I find this bud fitting nicely. I guess it depends more on ear shape than it's size, since I don't have big ears and am happy with those senns. If they were completly useless no one would have used them, and they would have been discontinued right after they appeared on the market due to design flaws. I'm not saying MX980 have best fit in the world, I'm just saying descibing them as totally uncomfortable is way too judgemental and unfair, since there are lots of people who enjoy their comfort uf use. That said I'm waiting for next sennheiser earbud flagship, I just expect nothing revolutionary in design, rather some minor tweaks.

Feb 25, 2012 at 7:43 AM Post #453 of 611
Well, it is a matter of opinion and based on the sheer volume of emails and private messages I've gotten just on this subject alone I can safely say there is a fit problem for a lot of people.  As I said its great you get a great fit and can't see why users like me have such a problem and consider it unusable, you are very lucky.  We aren't.  They are not usable to me, they pop right out of my ears within a few seconds, gravity takes control and it is not preventable.  Their base housing is too thick for my ears and I've literally have dozens of users since I've posted my review tell me the same thing, or comment that after they purchased they almost immediately returned or resold it for the very same problem.  It is a serious issue that makes me very sad, they sound so darn good and I want nothing more than a smaller version more suited for those many who have this problem.  

Feb 25, 2012 at 8:20 AM Post #454 of 611
The senneheiser mx980's are definitely still the best earbuds to date in terms of sound quality, build quality, design, and even comfort. My ears match perfectly with the shape of the earbud. It gives me very deep bass, lovely mids, and smooth highs. Doesnt sound like an earbud at all. Nothing comes close until now. Maybe those discontinued aiwa and sony earbuds like d9,v99,e484,e282 from the 90's are on the same level. I shall wait for the day when sennheiser announces the mx1080

Feb 25, 2012 at 8:45 AM Post #455 of 611

Quote:
Well, it is a matter of opinion and based on the sheer volume of emails and private messages I've gotten just on this subject alone I can safely say there is a fit problem for a lot of people.  As I said its great you get a great fit and can't see why users like me have such a problem and consider it unusable, you are very lucky.  We aren't.  They are not usable to me, they pop right out of my ears within a few seconds, gravity takes control and it is not preventable.  Their base housing is too thick for my ears and I've literally have dozens of users since I've posted my review tell me the same thing, or comment that after they purchased they almost immediately returned or resold it for the very same problem.  It is a serious issue that makes me very sad, they sound so darn good and I want nothing more than a smaller version more suited for those many who have this problem.  

I respect your opinion, I just think you exaggarating the problem way too much. Your opinion alone + several others is not an assumption anyone can make objective conclusions on a bigger scale, especially given the fact MX980 is quite succesful on the market. Same thing I could do based on my impressions and the people whom I know are satsfied with MX980 fit. Like stated before, Sennheiser falgship earbuds do not incorporate classic bud shells like their MX300/400/500 line, which are more mainstream and cheap. I've read many negative opinions regarding MX980 fit that it's not best, but yours is first where I read about falling out of ears. I find your experience to be most extreme negative, and I sincerely feel sorry for your disapointment.

Just think about it, there are very little chances Sennheiser ever releases flagship earbud in classic housing. They're not BLOX, they're not YUIN, they are Sennheiser and they will always make superior quality shells especially in their flagships, sometimes odd-looking designs. That's their strategy, and I don't expect it to change. There will always be unsatified group of customers. If MX980 were made smaller, you would be in heaven, others with different ear shapes would be devastated. I think MX980's full bodied sound and it's qualities strongly benefits from bigger than typical housing, and I don't see how it wouldn't affect sound quality it they were smaller. Sacrifices must be made when pursuing excellence, and that was the case with MX980 ergonomics, which in my and many others opinion is not great nor tragic, just average. I do prefer average ergonomics, but excelent audio than superior ergonomics, but poor sound. Physics can't be beaten that's why small earpiece bud won't deliver anything but average, and if one wants high sound quality in the small shell, he needs to look for the IEM market. higher-end earbuds demand bigger housings. Simple as that.

As for the warmer sound signature, I also prefer more fun, just don't expect it from Sennheiser flagships. MX980 is an entry audiophile grade earphones, they're not for casual listenings, not for jogging or outdoors (lack of proper isolation, problems with fit when walking, etc).  Listening at home with the proper fit, distinguishing enjoyment of sound nuances is what they're best for. If user takes this aproach, he/she will be extremely happy with MX980.

Feb 25, 2012 at 8:59 AM Post #456 of 611
You are blowing that way out of proportion and into astronomical levels.  They fall out of my ears without me moving, many others have told me they experience the same thing.  How is this an exaggeration?  Its a fact.  Everyones ears are different again this works both ways, just because you get a good fit doesn't mean everyone will.  You are mistaking my wants and desires for something that Sennheiser will do and something I expect them to do, or that they are obligated to do.  Haven't you ever dreamed of something?  Just because you dream it doesn't mean anyone should be allowed to tell you No, its not possible sorry, sennheiser isn't Blox it will never happen.  I am a go getter, I don't quit easy.  If I want something, I don't give up and will pursue it until I can't anymore.  I only just emailed Sennheiser about it last night so only time will tell, you shouldn't quit before you even start or condemn me before I even hear back from them.  You are not qualified to judge anyone elses views.  In the nicest and most respectful way, I wouldn't say such things.  You are absolutely wrong in that smaller housings cannot produce amazing quality.  

Also, the Aiwa earbuds mentioned were the Aiwa HP D9 and V99.   I've never heard them and want them dearly.  Funny someone mentioned Aiwa, as I will be receiving my V151s late next week :)

Feb 25, 2012 at 9:51 AM Post #457 of 611
I'm eagarly anticipating what response Sennheiser will give you :) I fear they won't say much, since MX980 are still on the market doing quite well, so any more specific anwer regarding successor would affect current flagship sales.

Of course I've dreamt about many things, but I try to be more realistic here. You say I'm wrong in that small housings can't perform amazing quality. Well, I guess we're different in perception of what is amazing... MX980 shell was not made this big to piss you off, it was done for a reason to achieve full bodied sound with an audiophile grade quality. Given current technology possibilities I don't see them being that great in a smaller package. As for your comfort issues, once again I'm sorry to hear that, maybe OMX980 model would resolve "falling out of ears" problem...? Like I said, your opinion + few other ones don't reflect a global scale of impressions. Of course same thing goes for my opinion, and all the positive reviews I've read regarding comfort (such as marlonmarabe in the post above). That's why we can't make definite statements on that matter, because it can mislead people considering what type of buds suits their needs. To all the people thinkig about getting MX980, but fear about ergonomics, I strongly advice you try before buy. You should give them a shot if you find them at least moderately comfortable. There's probably nothing else better on the market right now in the earbud category, if you crave for higher-end sound that is.

Feb 25, 2012 at 11:11 AM Post #458 of 611

Quote:

The dunu mystery buds are just that, mystery buds with no model number.  I have the Ex150, it was reviewed in this very thread.  This model is not the Ex150, it is much better.  MUCH BETTER and much DIFFERENT.  If anything, they are Rockys revised Ex150 after we spoke about the original.  He sent me this model with no tags or information so I have no idea what they really are, but the original ex150 they definitely are not.  I will agree they are not as good as the live though.  Despite being pretty good earbuds, this mystery model is not as good as the Live or the Living.  

I did say they were the 5X EX150, not the EX150. Are they really better? I have not really heard the EX150. I think they're great, with some delicious mids and all but quite a class behind the Hisound Live, and you do agree on that.

As for bass, I really feel, with the foamies, the bass on the Live comes in quite decent. Not 1/10 as you would say, but rather more 5/10 in quantity for me. slightly less than, say a Gr07. On the other hand, the dunu5x 150 with the foamies have greatly forward mids whilst a little more neutral without.

Feb 25, 2012 at 11:19 AM Post #459 of 611
I haven't reviewed the Live, I reviewed the Living.  It is Hisounds top flagship, the Live sells for $99, the Living for $149.  The Living gets a big ol' 1/10 for bass quantity for me.  I've already changed the first page to reflect the nane of the new dunus.  The Live is a step or two up from the Dunu, the Living is another step up from that.  5/10 rating would but that into bass moderate territory that its certainly not anywhere near bass moderate.  Buds like the MX980 have a load more bass than the Blox for example, and the Blox has more bass than the Living.  So, the Living is something I consider very bass light.  It does not respond well to Bass, it literally lacks the internal design to produce bass on a moderate level.  

I agree with you on the dunu, it was a real surprise.  

Feb 25, 2012 at 12:30 PM Post #460 of 611
Bass on the live IMO is about 5/10, it's there, but not on the front end of the sound to make it overwhelming. 

Goodboy said ......

"that's why small earpiece bud won't deliver anything but average"

Oh really lol ... ? I guess he has not tried any of these newer earbuds.

Regarding the MX980's, probably the best earbud to date in terms of balanced sound, but the FACT is, for the average ear they will not fit perfectly and will fall out.

IMO the design is more of a bling bling factor than to serve any real useful function.

Feb 25, 2012 at 12:54 PM Post #461 of 611

Quote:
Bass on the live IMO is about 5/10, it's there, but not on the front end of the sound to make it overwhelming. 

Goodboy said ......

"that's why small earpiece bud won't deliver anything but average"

Oh really lol ... ? I guess he has not tried any of these newer earbuds.

Regarding the MX980's, probably the best earbud to date in terms of balanced sound, but the FACT is, for the average ear they will not fit perfectly and will fall out.

IMO the design is more of a bling bling factor than to serve any real useful function.

This newer buds like Hisound Living are nothing but a big earphones. Small ones are Apple Earbuds or blox M2C. Show me high-end buds of that size?
Have you ever tried MX980? It is clearly not a FACT that average ear won't do with them. My ears are average and I have no comfort issues. The FACT is they're problematic ergonomic-wise for SOME people, not everyone, like you just assumpted. In fact, MX980 are not even the largest buds on the market. Very popular in Europe Sony Fantopia model are much bigger than senns. MX980 are just good fitted for average ears. Only people with too small or not regularly shaped ears experience fit issues.

Feb 25, 2012 at 1:28 PM Post #462 of 611
The Yuin series are smaller than the stock Apple earbuds as well as the Blox. I don't have the slightest idea what you are talking about :p  The Sennheiser MX 980 has a thicker base that rests on your ears, the faceplate is thicker than the everything else that I am aware of by a significant margin.  It is a hefty % larger than the Living.  Have you had both of them together,  Goodboy?  I have and I am now regretting selling the Living just 2 days ago, I would have loved to have shown you a snapshot of them side by side so you can see the MX980 has a thicker faceplate.   The living as a (=l  shape to it, its a medium sized face plate base with a smaller back end of the housing, this allows it to almost clip onto your ear and rest nicely. 

Here is a good snap of the side view of the MX 980, its base face plate is massive, there is no space for it to hang on your ear at all, literally nothing but a funnel shape.   Its just D shaped, and its darn thick and wide, wider than the Hisound Living.  Please take a look at your earbuds you showed from a side view, I want to see a snapshot of the mx980 side by side with that other model from a side view, I want to see how deep they are.  The Living is thinner and more shallow, the Mx 980 is thicker and deeper.  You are not understanding anyone when we say there are fit issues, they fit into the open area of the ear on any normal human, but shallowness is the main problem, they are TOO DEEP, TOO THICK.  They just fall off my ears because they are too thick to rest on the bottom area of my ear.  You clearly have deeper ears than anyone who has fit problems.  

Here are the Living, you can see the front side is a half bullet shape, but the entire back end thins out to a very tiny surface area, this is the part that lets you rest it on your ears, the MX 980 is absent this so there is nothing for it to really rest on or settle down into your ear.  The Living is actually smaller than the MX 980 it still rests nicely, a lot like the 9wave Pro.  Both have a Megaphone like shape.  

9W Pro.  See how it has the same basic design as the living in the driver housing area?  It has a ( ) face plate with a thinner area behind it so it actually lets you latch it onto your ear.  

Lastly, I will argue the point again with you that the MX980 was in fact designed for music enjoyment on the go.  In case you haven't noticed, this is head fi, a place where audiophiles are found who enjoy this sound type for pure music enjoyment, a pure, neutral type signature. :)

Feb 25, 2012 at 2:54 PM Post #463 of 611
Yes MX980 are thick, maybe the thickest one. The thing is, it's not universal argument, because it all depends on personal preference. Some ears will be affected by widness, some by thicknes, depending on the ear shape. It's a very subjective matter. I'm not trying to convince you to MX980 ergonomics, I'm just trying not to diss a given earphone just because someone's ergonomics prefernce hasn't been met. That being said, I prefer much more to talk about sound capabilities of a given phone, rather than discuss over and over again ergonomic matters that depends on each one's individual ear shape. It's clear someone who have bad ears for MX980 won't be happy, but many others for whom fit issues are small or non existant enjoy this one of the best buds on the market. I've listened to many buds, maybe not as many as you have, but if I can say one thing about MX980, I've never heard any other bud sounding not like bud, but much bigger phone.

Feb 25, 2012 at 3:38 PM Post #465 of 611
Nice to see this thread being kept alive!

I want to get the MX980 before it gets dicontinued, but I'd prefer for the price to come down a bit more...

When it comes to discontinued Sony and Aiwa top of the line earbuds, be prepared to pay a lot. Especially for Aiwa models such as the D9, V9 and V99. I was lucky to get my Aiwa HP-D9 for "only" around $150. I've seen them go for alot higher. And the V99 go for a much higher price than then D9. The V9, which is the oldest model, might go for the highest price. I've seen it on Taobao (Chinese auction website) for around 10.000 yuan (over $1500)!
I have never heard such weak bass as on the D9. Apparently the V9 and V99 are much more balanced. But the mids and highs together with the soundstage on the D9 is amazing. Music truly becomes 3D with it. With well produced music, it can be like the instruments are suspended in air. Then I don't care about the poor bass response. But I prefer to use the D9 at home, and think that the Sony E484 and E282 are better for portable use...

I also have the Sony MDR-E484 and E282. They are more balanced than the Aiwa HP-D9 and very good, but not as detailed. When I get the MX980 I might compare them all. I'm not one for making long threads for comparing, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back