1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

DX50 a new smaller DAP from iBasso. Spec. page 1. Impressions start on page. . .

Discussion in 'Portable Source Gear' started by jamato8, Apr 24, 2013.
First

Back
22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31
33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42
Next

Last
  1. batteraziiz
    Compatible up to 2TB?!?! [​IMG] ZEUS!

2. AnakChan Moderator
    Personally would love to have seen 12V rather than 9V voltage swing on headphone amp (not much science logic behind my preference, more just observational experience from the VentureCraft DD std 9V vs LE 12V). At least in that implementation, sounded fuller and more robust.

Aside from that I hope iBasso will sell to Japan via their online store. I mailed them about the DX50 & they knew I was in Japan, I got a generic response of "Please contact Hibino" since they are the distributors of iBasso OEM.

Jamato8, if you do talk to them next could you please ask them to be generous to JP customers who are interested in buying online? Unless there's a HDP-R5 coming up that no one knows about.

Cheers!

3. thegunner100
    What does the 9v voltage swing say about the amp though? Can someone translate it to the more standard X mw into Y ohm?

4. k1zuna
    Quote:
    DAMN! NEED TO BUY THIS NOW.

5. tomscy2000
    Quote:

That happens all the time; sort of annoying.

6. jamato8 Contributor
    Quote:
    I have sent an email asking. There are good sounding amps that run at 5 volts. I think 9 volts, done right, should sound fine, IMO, but I guess we will have to wait. 

7. charlie0904
    nice.

was hoping to see different dac though.

8. jamato8 Contributor
    Quote:
    What type or make?

9. DigitalFreak
    I really got to wake up. Either that or get more sleep because I completely missed it in the iBasso specs page, duhhhh.

WM8740 24 bit DAC chip <<<<<Does anyone here know anything about this DAC chip? Are we talking warm, neutral or analytical??? Anyone?

UPDATE:

Google can really be your friend. Taken from the Wolfson site
    ----------------------

Description

The WM8740 is a very high performance stereo DAC designed for audio applications such as CD, DVD, home theatre systems, set top boxes and digital TV. The WM8740 supports data input word lengths from 16 to 24-bits and sampling rates up to 192kHz. The WM8740 consists of a serial interface port, digital interpolation filter, multi-bit sigma delta modulator and stereo DAC in a small 28-pin SSOP package. The WM8740 also includes a digitally controllable mute and attenuator function on each channel.
    The internal digital filter has two selectable roll-off characteristics. A sharp or slow roll-off can be selected dependent on application requirements. Additionally, the internal digital filter can be by-passed and the WM8740 used with an external digital filter.
    The WM8740 supports two connection schemes for audio DAC control. The SPI-compatible serial control port provides access to a wide range of features including on-chip mute, attenuation and phase reversal. A hardware controllable interface is also available.

Features

1. 120dB SNR (’A’ weighted, mono @ 48kHz)
    2. 117dB SNR (’A’ weighted, stereo @ 48kHz)
    3. 104dB THD (’A’ weighted @ 48kHz)
    4. Sampling frequency : 8kHz - 192kHz
    5. Input data word : 16 to 24-bit
    6. Selectable digital low pass filter
    7. Optional interface to industry standard external filters
    8. Hardware or 3-wire SPI control
    9. Fully dfferential voltage outputs

WM8740_BlockDiagram.gif

Anyone here here have any experience with this chip?

10. AnakChan Moderator
    Isn't it the same DAC as the AK100 & AK120 (but dual)?

11. DigitalFreak
    Quote:

Good question, no idea? Doesn't Fiio also use that chip? For whatever reason I remember that number chip from somewhere.

12. jamato8 Contributor
    Quote:

Yes, the same. It has been used in many dacs and some daps. Ibasso has used it for a couple of years. They are a good dac, slightly warm sounding but it is all about implementation. It is well detailed, not analytical but organic. Again, implementation. :^)

13. DigitalFreak
    UPDATE

Here we go, i knew I remembered that DAC chip from somewhere. Little Dot DAC's use that chip.

14. tenedosian
    this is one of the most popular dacs in market, especially in some advanced daps.
    s:flo2 (or teclast 51) is using dual wolfson wm8740, just like iriver ak120.
    fiio x3, ibasso dx50 and iriver ak100 are utilizing single wolfson wm8740.

15. justie
    Anyone knows how the WM8740 compares to the WM8960 chip found in Cowon devices?

First

Back
22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31
33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42
Next

Last