DX220 A new view to your music. *** LATEST FW: 1.19 Local *** Link for User Guide 1st Page.
Apr 24, 2021 at 1:17 PM Post #13,052 of 13,478
The amp9 is being sold as modded already or send the amp9 to the modder?

I owned them all and sent them to him to mod. I do believe he offers an option to buy a modded one new from him but I'm not sure of the prices.

Great info about the Fidelizer mod for amp8 as that was my first thought along with the advanced rom.
It's easier for me to send my amp8 to be modded than have to search for an already modded one.
Btw, I'm already following the DX220 mods thread and requested a modded amp8 but still no response. :wink:
I could do the mods easily 3-4 years ago but my eyes are very bad now at 48. Can't see anything up close even with glasses.
I used to make homage Panerai watches as hobby and now i can't even turn a screw. :frowning2:
The Fidelizer amp8 mod is $499 or is that the actual DX220 modification?
I paid just over that for masterpiece mod for the unit & 2 amps to be done & the advanced ROM also.

I enquired about the ultimate mod and he said that the masterpiece was the highest he offers for dx220 & amps. This was because he felt that it didn't offer improvement worth the money over the masterpiece. Fair play. I did appreciate that.

Anyone on the fence I'd totally recomend if you have decided your dap is a keeper. The hardest thing was being without the 220 for a month & most of that time waiting was postage.

Apr 24, 2021 at 1:18 PM Post #13,053 of 13,478
Great info about the Fidelizer mod for amp8 as that was my first thought along with the advanced rom.
It's easier for me to send my amp8 to be modded than have to search for an already modded one.
Btw, I'm already following the DX220 mods thread and requested a modded amp8 but still no response. :wink:
I could do the mods easily 3-4 years ago but my eyes are very bad now at 48. Can't see anything up close even with glasses.
I used to make homage Panerai watches as hobby and now i can't even turn a screw. :frowning2:
The Fidelizer amp8 mod is $499 or is that the actual DX220 modification?
Is that what it costs..!? Oh well, it will be EX for me or latest and greatest variations of the choices on other thread.

Apr 24, 2021 at 1:24 PM Post #13,054 of 13,478
I owned them all and sent them to him to mod. I do believe he offers an option to buy a modded one new from him but I'm not sure of the prices.

I paid just over that for masterpiece mod for the unit & 2 amps to be done & the advanced ROM also.

I enquired about the ultimate mod and he said that the masterpiece was the highest he offers for dx220 & amps. This was because he felt that it didn't offer improvement worth the money over the masterpiece. Fair play. I did appreciate that.

Anyone on the fence I'd totally recomend if you have decided your dap is a keeper. The hardest thing was being without the 220 for a month & most of that time waiting was postage.
Well, I have to say the wait is the worst. I feel you man.
But, I have the AR-M2, and sometimes I think it sounds extremely well.
I am trying to compare DX228 with AR-M2, and P2mkII.
It's hard!
Sometimes you want to hear things you're not hearing.
I just don't want to compare to be honest.
I want to get the player to it's top and just listen to it. :wink:

Apr 24, 2021 at 1:35 PM Post #13,055 of 13,478
Well, I have to say the wait is the worst. I feel you man.
But, I have the AR-M2, and sometimes I think it sounds extremely well.
I am trying to compare DX228 with AR-M2, and P2mkII.
It's hard!
Sometimes you want to hear things you're not hearing.
I just don't want to compare to be honest.
I want to get the player to it's top and just listen to it. :wink:
Yeah the wait was the worst bit for sure ha ha. I was going to send by courier and pay for insurance etc.
It would have cost a lot but he said send it in a cheap looking package labeled as a pc soundcard for repair worth a few dollars as otherwise it is more likely to go missing or incur custom charge.
The tracking only tracked it out of the UK and had to wait ages for it appear at the other end which was stressful.

Before mine he was doing an old DX100 so he may be able to do the AR M2. I used to own a DX100 and have always missed it since I sold it. I had a chance to buy one around that time and considered getting it and then seeing if he could mod it. So I asked how it compares to a DX220 and he said it was no contest the 220 is substantially better.

Apr 24, 2021 at 1:42 PM Post #13,056 of 13,478
@roygbiv6 Are you in the UK?
I would've paid for DHL shipping. I can't wait in a qeue of 100 people waiting to enter the post officve to get the package.
I lost a lot of money this year on shipping buying DAPs and IEMs.
i lost my job in July and was selling synths and guitars to buy audiophile gear.
I had quit back in 2010 and was using cans till March 2020 which I started again as I had to stay at home.
You know how it is, you just can't stop till you're broke. :frowning2:
Still haven't found a job. On Monday they're closing everything down for 2 weeks again.

Apr 24, 2021 at 1:57 PM Post #13,058 of 13,478
Btw, what are you guys using mostly Mango mode or the mango player in Android mode?
Which one sounds better?
Am I the only one who thinkis Mango mode sounds better?
Everyone seems to believe the opposite.
Maybe Mango mode is louder. I listen at extreme high levels.
Either play it loud or don't :wink:

I Use mango Player outside Android. Using android as stock platform, Mango os and player SQ as basis wins for me. ui is just so so.
Anyway i'm very old school, album oriented, albeit have built up playlists over the course. Still prefer to play by album...

Apr 24, 2021 at 2:00 PM Post #13,059 of 13,478
Btw, what are you guys using mostly Mango mode or the mango player in Android mode?
Which one sounds better?
Am I the only one who thinkis Mango mode sounds better?
Everyone seems to believe the opposite.
Maybe Mango mode is louder. I listen at extreme high levels.
Either play it loud or don't :wink:
Mango is louder. i also listen to concert level volumes, i see u got Solaris gold, i play 'em v.70-86 depending on the album, Low gain, amp9 low output.
It's really very loud...

Apr 24, 2021 at 2:01 PM Post #13,060 of 13,478
Mango Mode is generally held by most as sounding better (me included). However, could I consistently and reliably pick Mango Mode as sounding better in an ABX test? Probably not...

Enjoy,
Tim

P.S. I also listen at fairly high volume levels (hard rock, metal, classic rock most typically) between 66 - 76 on High Gain using JVC HA-FDX1 IEMs.

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2021 at 2:03 PM Post #13,061 of 13,478
I Use mango Player outside Android. Using android as stock platform, Mango os and player SQ as basis wins for me. ui is just so so.
Anyway i'm very old school, album oriented, albeit have built up playlists over the course. Still prefer to play by album...

Mango is louder. i also listen to concert level volumes, i see u got Solaris gold, i play 'em v.70-86 depending on the album, Low gain, amp9 low output.
It's really very loud...

Cool man!
I prefer Mango mode too.
I got the unit 2 weeks ago.
Just trying with different IEMs and cables to find the best match.
I haven't even tried Amp1 mk2 yet.

Apr 24, 2021 at 2:06 PM Post #13,062 of 13,478

Please, could you share a link for me to contact? Thanks
i'm interested. having auditioned the dx300, it's great btw, but i'm keeping my set, dx229. I'm a tube guy ever since i learned to listen to music...

Apr 24, 2021 at 2:07 PM Post #13,063 of 13,478
Mango Mode is generally held by most as sounding better (me included). However, could I consistently and reliably pick Mango Mode as sounding better in an ABX test? Probably not...

Enjoy,
Tim

P.S. I also listen at fairly high volume levels (hard rock, metal, classic rock most typically) between 66 - 76 on High Gain using JVC HA-FDX1 IEMs.
Metal too here man :wink:

Apr 24, 2021 at 2:09 PM Post #13,065 of 13,478
Cool man!
I prefer Mango mode too.
I got the unit 2 weeks ago.
Just trying with different IEMs and cables to find the best match.
I haven't even tried Amp1 mk2 yet.
you can skip that amp, it's only good to use when out & about, i.e. battery back up time is more.
SQ is very far from amp8 and most def., very very far from amp9...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back