DX220 A new view to your music. *** LATEST FW: 1.19 Local *** Link for User Guide 1st Page.
Jul 5, 2019 at 11:07 AM Post #5,881 of 13,478
With Amp7 in android I have volume around 65 with andromeda and no hiss that I can hear at all.
With Amp9 in android I have volume around 90 with andromeda and quite noticable hiss.

But as you say if I increase the volume with silence playing on Amp9 the hiss goes down and I don't understand why it would be...... but unfortunately I can't listen that loud.

Perhaps, raising the volume up increases the signal to noise ratio.

Jul 5, 2019 at 11:10 AM Post #5,882 of 13,478
Perhaps, raising the volume up increases the signal to noise ratio.

Looking forward to the inevitable DX229 and N6ii comparison :)

Jul 5, 2019 at 12:18 PM Post #5,883 of 13,478
IMG_20190705_181243.jpg
Just tell us what you feel about your devices on your hands, and that is all every one of us want to see :). I still hold Amp8 in very very high regard

As promised! Just got my Leonidas II, plugged that to U12T hooked up the modded AMP8 by @WindowsX, and what can I say! I almost shed a tear in some tracks like below, it's that good.

I have far beyond exceeded the budget I had for this portable setup, have been called stupid, etc for that. But all that doesn't matter in moments like these! Truly blessed to have this.

I know it takes around 300 hours for the modded AMP8 to fully burn-in, but if this sounds this good now, everything else is just a bonus!

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2019 at 12:32 PM Post #5,884 of 13,478
Since I update the latest firmware, I can only down and install app under APKPure. My Google Play Store always crash and cannot get any app to download.
I have also uninstalled the play store and trying to install and the installation never completes. Is this known issue?

Jul 5, 2019 at 1:19 PM Post #5,885 of 13,478
Hi , I'm new here and just bought this nice device (instead of my older Onkyo DP-X1). I'd like to know if someone can help me :
Is there a way that the artist names will show instead of teh Album Artist names in the display ?
I have a lot of mixed compilations from DJs where the Album Artist is the DJ but where the tracks come from many other artists.
Thx!
Welcome to the DX220 family!!!

Not currently an option. I can see and understand why you would like this option - suggest you add this request to the dedicated FW thread here: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/dx220-thread-for-software-requests.906199/

I made a request in the dedicated FW thread to use the "Album artist" file attribute when sorting and associating Songs to Albums which was fixed for Android Mode but not in Mango Mode yet. So for a portion of my music collection the songs don't show up under the correct Artist/Album association in Mango Mode which is annoying and hopefully gets corrected in a future FW update. From what I was able to determine it looks like the "Contributing artists" file property is used in Mango Mode and when there are multiple artists listed it uses the first in the list if there are 3 or more artists but uses the 2nd/last in the list if there are only 2 artists listed. In Android Mode the "Album artist" is used which keeps tracks associated to the album correctly which is a good thing in my opinion.

I am only including this discussion here because your request may not be 100% straightforward if there are multiple contributing artists for any given track - would think in these cases just show all artists included on that file property... If iBasso does decide to incorporate your request I would ask that it be done as an optional setting so the user can select either Album Artist or Contributing Artists as the display options. To see these properties I am talking about just go to any music file on your computer and right mouse click/Properties/Details tab and you will see all the different properties available.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Tim

Jul 5, 2019 at 2:10 PM Post #5,886 of 13,478
Guys,

About the sleeping time future: could it be bugged? tried yestereday night for 25 minutes timer but when I wake up today dx220 just online. And strangely some hrs ago I found it shutdown. So I did some attempts using 5 minute timer that does not work. And strangely after 15-20minutes I found it shutdown...So it seems there is something strange...

ciao!

Jul 5, 2019 at 2:32 PM Post #5,887 of 13,478
In Mango Mode the volume goes to 100 maximum which is equivalent to the 150 in Android Mode (more or less, if not exactly). In Android you can alter the maximum volume level under Settings/Audio Settings/Volume Limitation which caps the output.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Tim
Hi Tim,
you are absolute right.
I had different gain settings in Android and Mango Mode before. With the same gain setting 100 vol in Mango mode sounds really like 150 in Android mode.

Jul 5, 2019 at 2:37 PM Post #5,888 of 13,478
Guys,

About the sleeping time future: could it be bugged? tried yestereday night for 25 minutes timer but when I wake up today dx220 just online. And strangely some hrs ago I found it shutdown. So I did some attempts using 5 minute timer that does not work. And strangely after 15-20minutes I found it shutdown...So it seems there is something strange...

When you set the timer it should normally turn the DX220 off but if you set it, setting the hour then minutes, and do any function, the time for turn off will start from the last time any function on the DX was done.

ciao!
Welcome to the DX220 family!!!

Not currently an option. I can see and understand why you would like this option - suggest you add this request to the dedicated FW thread here: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/dx220-thread-for-software-requests.906199/

I made a request in the dedicated FW thread to use the "Album artist" file attribute when sorting and associating Songs to Albums which was fixed for Android Mode but not in Mango Mode yet. So for a portion of my music collection the songs don't show up under the correct Artist/Album association in Mango Mode which is annoying and hopefully gets corrected in a future FW update. From what I was able to determine it looks like the "Contributing artists" file property is used in Mango Mode and when there are multiple artists listed it uses the first in the list if there are 3 or more artists but uses the 2nd/last in the list if there are only 2 artists listed. In Android Mode the "Album artist" is used which keeps tracks associated to the album correctly which is a good thing in my opinion.

I am only including this discussion here because your request may not be 100% straightforward if there are multiple contributing artists for any given track - would think in these cases just show all artists included on that file property... If iBasso does decide to incorporate your request I would ask that it be done as an optional setting so the user can select either Album Artist or Contributing Artists as the display options. To see these properties I am talking about just go to any music file on your computer and right mouse click/Properties/Details tab and you will see all the different properties available.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Tim

I have given this to the software team. I am not sure what they can do at this time.

iBasso Stay updated on iBasso at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://www.ibasso.com/ paul@ibasso.com
Jul 5, 2019 at 2:43 PM Post #5,889 of 13,478
@Paul - iBasso
Thank u Paul as usual for your great effort,
I can wait :)

Jul 5, 2019 at 3:00 PM Post #5,890 of 13,478
Finally installed the AMP9 last night after burning-in the player with stock amp for about 20hrs. Listened to a few songs then continued the burn-in process (now with AMP9) overnight.

Initial impression is iBasso did an excellent job implementing the Nutube into such a small space. Thankfully, their amp module has just enough room to make this possible and gives many more audiophiles a chance to hear this modern tube tech.

The Nutube lights up green (instead of the bluish-green of my NT-1 amp) a few seconds after pressing play. There's a brief delay until audio starts playing and same happens if music is paused for longer than a few seconds. The tube lights also turn off after a while if no music is playing, perhaps to save battery life.

Sound-wise (so far), the AMP9 has the detail, clarity, separation, spaciousness, etc I anticipated. Won't go into too much detail (or comparisons) until I get several more hours on it though.

One thing I did note, as some others mentioned, is the AMP9's low power output. Can't say I was surprised since my Oriolus NT-1 amp is also a bit underpowered but it certainly has enough juice for most of my non-planer, over-ear phones. Not sure if player firmware needs another tweak or if this is simply due to size constraints. I only used Android Mango so can't confirm if Mango OS will be different until @Lurker0 (hopefully) releases another DX150 add-on that's compatible with iBasso's latest firmware. On high gain and close to max volume, my HD598 and Sony Z7 lacked sufficient volume for a number of albums. Switching to the 18 ohm Sennheiser Momentum 2.0, it performed better but I was still on high gain and well over 100 volume so no way there's enough headroom to work with many full-size headphones. Gets even worse once EQ is enabled since it drops volume further in Mango app.

I don't use IEMs but I imagine the AMP9 may be a better pairing for those. Also no way to measure my personal listening levels vs others' but (last time I measured using an SPL meter app) mine peaked at about 85dB.

Jul 5, 2019 at 3:20 PM Post #5,891 of 13,478
@Paul - iBasso
Thank u Paul as usual for your great effort,
I can wait :)
I did some checking and here is what I found:
1) In Android Mode the Sleep timer within the Mango player when set to 5 minutes did not activate a power shutdown as described. Although, "sleep" to me implies a reduced functionality state where the device can be woken up quickly and not a from off power up - nit picking but if the intent is to power down after the specified time then call it a "Shutdown" timer or something like that.
2) In Mango Mode under Settings/Advanced/Power Management/Auto Power Off - the 5 minute setting works as expected (as well as the other time limits I have used here). There is a Sleep Timer function under Power Management but the minimum time setting there is 30 minutes and I have not tried that yet - so don't know if it works and if it puts the device to sleep or powers off - would expect sleep where a push of the power button brings it back awake quickly and not a power up from off scenario. Just my opinion though...

Hope this is helpful.

Cheers,
Tim

Jul 5, 2019 at 4:11 PM Post #5,892 of 13,478
Since I update the latest firmware, I can only down and install app under APKPure. My Google Play Store always crash and cannot get any app to download.
I have also uninstalled the play store and trying to install and the installation never completes. Is this known issue?
After updating to the latest firmware You should install Lurker’s addon for that firmware to use google play or You get Google play from another addon?

Jul 5, 2019 at 4:42 PM Post #5,893 of 13,478
got my hands on the amp9 after just 3 days from order.
Missed fe-ex delivery this morning means I had to cycle 10 miles across London to track it down.

Plugged in and it sounded very musical but as expected a little reserved due to lack of burn-in.

So initially I was thinking nice elegant warm bass but not as wide as amp8 (volume a little low with Stellia) however much more detail and treble then I expected (in a good way).
After just 1 hour and WOW :) I can already feel this amp opening up stage getting bigger by the min.

I too love the hiss more natural sounding. I do get some white noise thought when I mess about with the headphone adaptor especially when quiet at high volumes.

After just 2 hours and wow this thing just lots of quality bass it just sounds right in every way. And massive massive sound stage.

Can't wait for it to fully open up :)

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2019 at 5:00 PM Post #5,895 of 13,478
I have the Absolute Amp from Manley Labs. A superb amp, superb. The one thing it has, due to an all tube design, a little bit of hiss. That is tubes. You can get rid of all of it, but most often, you also lose some of the musicality. And the music is so good, the low level retrieval of details so good, that I could care less. Not that is in SE, in Push/Pull, yes there is a switch to do either, there is no hiss but not quite as musical. So I have a choice but most often go with SE output. The source, and I have a number, the DX220 out does all of them. The separation, spatial detail from the line out is glorious. I am really enjoying the Linda Ronstadt 3 cd set. Such depth, width and imaging.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back