DX220 A new view to your music. *** LATEST FW: 1.19 Local *** Link for User Guide 1st Page.
Jul 3, 2019 at 6:41 PM Post #5,827 of 13,478
Woohoo! Got the amp9 today.
Put right in my DX200TI and WOW it sounds so smooth, detail and airy but the volume goes up around 105 to 115 (is that normal for 3.5 SE?). :L3000:

Yeah I meant to mention this, I find myself using high gain with the EM64 and it’s a sensitive IEM, although 40ohm... Used medium gain with VE8 and around the same 100/115 range with AMP9. Only IEM I went to low gain is the Phantom with which I pick up significant hiss.

I wondered if I am not turning up the volume because of the widest dynamic range. It feels like AMP9 is smoothing out the loudness war byproduct of modern mastering :p

Also noted some mild interference with WiFi on.

Last edited:
Jul 3, 2019 at 7:26 PM Post #5,829 of 13,478
How come? I don’t hear any hisses at all with my Phantoms. By the way, I am using EA Eros II 8wire between amp9 and Phantoms.

I am using PW 1960 4 wires, but yeah the AMP9 / Phantom pairing is exceptional other wise... I am noticing hiss with very low volume passages with WiFi ON / Tidal.

Low level detail is simply amazing with AMP9, I am hearing things I haven’t heard before, very subtle low level details happening in the background, this is eerie.

Last edited:
Jul 3, 2019 at 8:38 PM Post #5,832 of 13,478
Oh no, DX220 has gone unresponsive again. I can hear white noise with my IEMs plugged in but no music, no buttons work and the screen won’t turn on. I just wait for it to fix itself?

How do you find the 229 compared to the n6ii?

Jul 3, 2019 at 8:54 PM Post #5,834 of 13,478
I wondered if I am not turning up the volume because of the widest dynamic range. It feels like AMP9 is smoothing out the loudness war byproduct of modern mastering :p

I think of the Nutube 'phenomena' as decompressing smushed audio.

Low level detail is simply amazing with AMP9, I am hearing things I haven’t heard before, very subtle low level details happening in the background, this is eerie.

Good tube amps also have that effect but the Nutube does it without breaking a sweat.

Jul 3, 2019 at 9:29 PM Post #5,835 of 13,478
At this rate IBasso may dominate the market with the their "honest" price to performance ratio if people understand what they are playing with.
To me n8 tube still put out bigger impact with a little wider sound stage and bigger bass punch while maintaining more sharper imaging but DX220 tube
is equally enjoyable with the right amount of detail. If anyone happens to prefer more smooth, non-fatiguing analogous sound, they may even choose
dx220. I only had amp9 for 30 minutes so my impression may change but going back to price-to-performance ratio we know who the winner is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back