Dutch/ Belgian/ German Headphone Meet 18-11-2012: Photos and Impressions!
Nov 24, 2012 at 4:19 PM Post #76 of 208
Quote:
I tried finding every soul on head-fi that could have been interested in the meet, but that's not always easy.
Next year (if I come to help with the organization again), I'll send a PM to anyone who has posted in this thread (as well as all other related threads). So don't worry, if there'll be a next meet, I'll personally make sure that you're invited.

Thanks a lot, very , much interested in meeting you guys and hearing all that great gears..

Nov 26, 2012 at 3:48 PM Post #79 of 208
Sepinho gave me his FA-3E after the meet so I could listen to them for another day because I was already so amazed on my way to the meet and didn't even try any other IEM until we got there.

Background: I was A/B comparing UE900 and Heir 4.Ai for a few days in a row and trying to figure out which of the two sounds more neutral? Is the UE900 too warm or is the 4.Ai too bright?

And then the FA-3E hit me. Maybe my ears were already exhausted with neutral IEMs, but this one just hit the spot. I was trying to figure out what flaws it has and I couldn't find any - that at a considerably lower price than both, the UE and Heir. I'd say it is extremely uncolored with the best timbre I've heard from a BA yet.

On the second day, I *think* to have found following "flaws": kick-bass is slightly elevated, as is the presence peak. I will consider both flaws a plus, personally. It adds a tiny bit musicality but it is really hard to find because of the good timbre. I'm guessing nobody will ever notice unless he's heard more neutral 'phones.
Resolution is not 100% on par with UE900 and 4.Ai but it's pretty close. There seems to be a slight roll-off in the very high frequencies but I haven't heard anybody confirm it yet.

All in all, it's a very neutral earphone that secretly adds some drive to the music. Extremely recommended for transparency and Rock fans.

Nov 27, 2012 at 12:13 PM Post #80 of 208
Quote:
For the ultimate bang for the buck go with the portapro... You can get them for +/- €31 (and that includes shipping) from mymemory.co.uk
Another option is the Koss KSC-75, which is a clip on, but is said to sound even better than the portapro. and is easily modded to a overhead setup as you can simply click the shells on a portapro or similar headband. Don't expect to make any fashion statements with a setup like this though... :)

Sorry to jump on your thread guys but...

That´s exactly what I did!

Had a Portapro lying around with a malfunctioning right ear driver, had KSC-75 too but never got along with the fit (strangely enough one of the ear clamp-ons was shorter than the other meaning terrible build and quality control) so I took out the Portapro drivers and clamped on the KSC drivers...

and now I have a PORTAPROKCS!

it is a funny name in fact if you spell it in one go.. fashion contest is irrelevant since the pad covers most of the earcup anyway

ps: Whom of you guys is Sebastian from headsound.de ?

Nov 27, 2012 at 12:33 PM Post #82 of 208
ok so he already shipped ear tips to portugal (to me) lol

Nov 28, 2012 at 4:59 PM Post #83 of 208
Quote:
Had a Portapro lying around with a malfunctioning right ear driver.

Strange.. I actually recently received my Portapro's with a somewhat malfunctioning right ear driver. I can live with it most of the time (hammering the right ear madly makes it become less for a short time), but it's quite a downer. Production process borked, or something I guess?

Nov 28, 2012 at 10:59 PM Post #84 of 208
Quote:
Strange.. I actually recently received my Portapro's with a somewhat malfunctioning right ear driver. I can live with it most of the time (hammering the right ear madly makes it become less for a short time), but it's quite a downer. Production process borked, or something I guess?

I guess for the price they cost that´s the quality control level we get. I´m pretty sure mine is a blown driver (crashpin mid and low freqs) which probably happened from it being left not working for a few years
I believe Koss has a lifetime warranty but for the cost and hassle of sending it back you´re better off just buying a new one
My feeling from swapping the drivers from the KSC-75 is bass is a bit heavier so I tend to tone it down on eq at the 32-60Hz range

Nov 29, 2012 at 5:42 AM Post #85 of 208
Quote:

I have a few Portapro drivers lying around as spare. Let me know if you want one, I'll ship it to you in an envelope. :)

Nov 29, 2012 at 1:10 PM Post #86 of 208
Quote:

I have a few Portapro drivers lying around as spare. Let me know if you want one, I'll ship it to you in an envelope. :)

I live 20 minutes away, could as well just come get it and visit my family living close to Heerlen :wink:.

So, yes, that would be super, cause.. smashing the right ear isn't working, I thought it was, but that was the moments the rest of the music masked it, or the music had a silent moment. Quanta costa?

Nov 29, 2012 at 4:46 PM Post #87 of 208
I live in Rotterdam. :) My parents live in Heerlen, not me. I leave for Prague this weekend and won't be in Heerlen for quite some time. Well I'll be there for Christmas to see my parents ofcourse. :) Just PM me your address and I'll post you the driver. I'm not using it so you don't need to pay me. It's not an expensive part. :)

Nov 30, 2012 at 8:42 AM Post #88 of 208
Quote:
Sepinho gave me his FA-3E after the meet so I could listen to them for another day because I was already so amazed on my way to the meet and didn't even try any other IEM until we got there.

Background: I was A/B comparing UE900 and Heir 4.Ai for a few days in a row and trying to figure out which of the two sounds more neutral? Is the UE900 too warm or is the 4.Ai too bright?

And then the FA-3E hit me. Maybe my ears were already exhausted with neutral IEMs, but this one just hit the spot. I was trying to figure out what flaws it has and I couldn't find any - that at a considerably lower price than both, the UE and Heir. I'd say it is extremely uncolored with the best timbre I've heard from a BA yet.

On the second day, I *think* to have found following "flaws": kick-bass is slightly elevated, as is the presence peak. I will consider both flaws a plus, personally. It adds a tiny bit musicality but it is really hard to find because of the good timbre. I'm guessing nobody will ever notice unless he's heard more neutral 'phones.
Resolution is not 100% on par with UE900 and 4.Ai but it's pretty close. There seems to be a slight roll-off in the very high frequencies but I haven't heard anybody confirm it yet.

All in all, it's a very neutral earphone that secretly adds some drive to the music. Extremely recommended for transparency and Rock fans.

I have had a pair of the Fa-3e for....6 month's ish (?).

It was Sephinho who opened my eyes to them, and im glad he did. I have not tried the UE 900, but have auditioned the 4A.i. For me, the Fa-3e's fit my preferances much better.

Nov 30, 2012 at 10:33 AM Post #89 of 208
Quote:
I have had a pair of the Fa-3e for....6 month's ish (?).

It was Sephinho who opened my eyes to them, and im glad he did. I have not tried the UE 900, but have auditioned the 4A.i. For me, the Fa-3e's fit my preferances much better.

Now you have me curious about your musical preferences, as I had pretty much the same experience... But I tried the UE 900 too. And while I liked it a lot, I liked the general sound signature of the FA-3E better...

Nov 30, 2012 at 12:22 PM Post #90 of 208
Quote:

I agree. But I even prefer the UE900. It has better extension in both ends and coming from dynamic transducers this is something that matters to me. Plus, the UE900 is more relaxed - sadly in effect also a worse timbre.
FA-3E for me fits the category "take it and shut up - you don't need anything better."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back