DUNU DK-4001 --- Discussion & Impressions Thread
Sep 21, 2019 at 11:47 PM Post #271 of 391
Still, with the iem price nowadays, i think there is a niche market for it if Dunu makes it right...

Oh absolutely. I'm sure it'd be well worth the development cost. There will be a lot of people interested. It blows my mind to think that many people expect a TOTL dynamic to cost 1800+ these days. But that's just the way things are. Even though I kind of miss the days when they were making $300 hybrids that competed with things several times its price, Dunu should probably price whatever TOTL they come out with in the same way as the market does so as to avoid people devaluing their flagship. I feel this kind of happened with the 4001. Even though they people used to Dunu pricing things at <500 were grumbling about the $900 price tag, an equal number of people thought $900 was probably not good enough for their TOTL only collection.

Sep 22, 2019 at 1:00 AM Post #272 of 391
i hope there will be times when a company plan to make a flagship or any other iem on a certain line up, and they plan to give this to reviewers for review, they should not reveal the price since most reviewers based their reviews on the price tag, i i mean somekind of "placebo" effect, the review thought always affected by the price range.

Sep 22, 2019 at 4:27 AM Post #273 of 391
Will have a short visit to China, Guangzhou. (around Tianhebei 天河北 area).

Anyone know if there are any audio shops (carrying IEM/CIEM, headphone, audio accessories etc) around the area good for a visit?

Sep 22, 2019 at 7:06 AM Post #274 of 391
i hope there will be times when a company plan to make a flagship or any other iem on a certain line up, and they plan to give this to reviewers for review, they should not reveal the price since most reviewers based their reviews on the price tag, i i mean somekind of "placebo" effect, the review thought always affected by the price range.

We have tried this before in the past at audio shows, purposely not telling people what is inside or how much it might cost. The "blind" feedback helps us determine whether it's a worthy product. However, with reviews, it's more difficult, because reviewers will ask us what kind of drivers are inside, etc. Reviews also help potential customers determine whether a product is good value for money, so knowing the asking price is critical. So agreed, while price does skew peoples' perception of quality, it is difficult to implement blind reviewing in real life.

Will have a short visit to China, Guangzhou. (around Tianhebei 天河北 area).

Anyone know if there are any audio shops (carrying IEM/CIEM, headphone, audio accessories etc) around the area good for a visit?

Our China marketing executive suggested checking out Ethereal Sound (天域联达), which is close by inside the sports stadium. They carry a wide array of products and brands, including ours! Hope this helps!

Last edited:
DUNU It's a good time to go #PRO. Our next generation of in-ears powered by ECLIPSƎ are here! Learn more on our official website. Stay updated on DUNU at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/DUNU.FANS/ https://twitter.com/DUNU_Headphone https://www.instagram.com/dunu_topsound/ https://www.dunu-topsound.com/ https://m.me/DUNU.FANS int_ops@dunu-topsound.com, support@dunutopsound.com
Sep 25, 2019 at 11:27 PM Post #275 of 391
Oh absolutely. I'm sure it'd be well worth the development cost. There will be a lot of people interested. It blows my mind to think that many people expect a TOTL dynamic to cost 1800+ these days. But that's just the way things are. Even though I kind of miss the days when they were making $300 hybrids that competed with things several times its price, Dunu should probably price whatever TOTL they come out with in the same way as the market does so as to avoid people devaluing their flagship. I feel this kind of happened with the 4001. Even though they people used to Dunu pricing things at <500 were grumbling about the $900 price tag, an equal number of people thought $900 was probably not good enough for their TOTL only collection.
I think Meze is a good example of that.

Sep 26, 2019 at 3:48 AM Post #276 of 391

You're absolutely right and luckily some brands like Dunu are keeping it real... I have been the 2-3k range with VE8, LCD i4, KSE1500 but the law of diminishing returns does apply and now I am hunting for value for money flagships, the Rai Penta, Earsonics Purple, EM64, FIBAE7, Stealthsonics U9, LimeEars Aether R. And in the end it's also as much about signature as it is about pure performance, for me it actually is more about the sig once you've cleared the technical foundations. I wish I could audition the 4001 here in Paris not sure we have a shop that has it and a demo... too bad!

Sep 26, 2019 at 2:58 PM Post #277 of 391
You're absolutely right and luckily some brands like Dunu are keeping it real... I have been the 2-3k range with VE8, LCD i4, KSE1500 but the law of diminishing returns does apply and now I am hunting for value for money flagships, the Rai Penta, Earsonics Purple, EM64, FIBAE7, Stealthsonics U9, LimeEars Aether R. And in the end it's also as much about signature as it is about pure performance, for me it actually is more about the sig once you've cleared the technical foundations. I wish I could audition the 4001 here in Paris not sure we have a shop that has it and a demo... too bad!

We're working on rectifying this situation! :beerchug:

DUNU It's a good time to go #PRO. Our next generation of in-ears powered by ECLIPSƎ are here! Learn more on our official website. Stay updated on DUNU at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/DUNU.FANS/ https://twitter.com/DUNU_Headphone https://www.instagram.com/dunu_topsound/ https://www.dunu-topsound.com/ https://m.me/DUNU.FANS int_ops@dunu-topsound.com, support@dunutopsound.com
Sep 26, 2019 at 3:17 PM Post #278 of 391
Sep 29, 2019 at 3:41 AM Post #279 of 391
does dk 4001 carries the same sig with the previous 3001 which is known as etys sounding too?

Havne't heard ER4SR, but 4001 and ER4S (and er2SE) are quite different IMO.

I agree with tomscy that the 4001 bass is not obtrusive since it is so focused on lower frequencies- it does not measure flat but I think it's a little similar to EX1000- how in effect they sound sort of flat. However, I tend to enjoy extra bass so my perspective is skewed (I do also like ER4S bass).

What is it you are looking to improve on from your Etys? They have a fairly distinctive relation between midrange and treble I haven't found in many IEMs. I think the JVC FDX1/FD01mod might be closer to ER4 than 4001, but it also has boosted bass.

Among higher end IEMs the Prophile 8, Hidition NT6 and Pears SH3 (UE UERR maybe?) seem to have reputations for "neutral" type of tunings but haven't personally heard them.

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2019 at 12:38 PM Post #280 of 391

I agree with tomscy that the 4001 bass is not obtrusive since it is so focused on lower frequencies- it does not measure flat but I think it's a little similar to EX1000- how in effect they sound sort of flat. However, I tend to enjoy extra bass so my perspective is skewed (I do also like ER4S bass).

What is it you are looking to improve on from your Etys? They have a fairly distinctive relation between midrange and treble I haven't found in many IEMs. I think the JVC FDX1/FD01mod might be closer to ER4 than 4001, but it also has boosted bass.

Among higher end IEMs the Prophile 8, Hidition NT6 and Pears SH3 (UE UERR maybe?) seem to have reputations for "neutral" type of tunings but haven't personally heard them.

It seems @twiceboss is a self admitted treble head, who would probably be better served by a modded FD01 or Drop FDX1, or by the Hiditon NT6, which does seem to improve on the Ety signature in many ways. Personally I don't find the ProPhile-8 to be an Ety replacement or upgrade, though there are people (whom I both like and respect) who would disagree with me. As for Dunu's current models, none of them fit the criteria. I do feel the 4001 is just as detailed as any TOTL I've heard <$1.5k though.

Sep 29, 2019 at 12:42 PM Post #281 of 391

It seems @twiceboss is a self admitted treble head, who would probably be better served by a modded FD01 or Drop FDX1, or by the Hiditon NT6, which does seem to improve on the Ety signature in many ways. Personally I don't find the ProPhile-8 to be an Ety replacement or upgrade, though there are people (whom I both like and respect) who would disagree with me. As for Dunu's current models, none of them fit the criteria. I do feel the 4001 is just as detailed as any TOTL I've heard <$1.5k though.
haha, i love mids and highs a lot. So vocals and resolution are my most crucial thing in iem. Bass is fine as long as it is controlled. I'm in the process of auditioning a VX currently.

Oct 24, 2019 at 1:04 PM Post #282 of 391
Something very nice came in the mail today... thanks to @DUNU-Topsound for contacting me after I posted that I wished I could audition the DK-4001 and arranging the demo unit that I’ll review and also put up for the TellementNomade French Tour!

89577D68-6F30-42B4-AD07-CC82A0C74EE8.jpeg

Quite exciting!

Oct 24, 2019 at 1:23 PM Post #283 of 391
Something very nice came in the mail today... thanks to @DUNU-Topsound for contacting me after I posted that I wished I could audition the DK-4001 and arranging the demo unit that I’ll review and also put up for the TellementNomade French Tour!

Quite exciting!

can you compare and describe the differences how they play with dx220 and cayin n6II?

Oct 25, 2019 at 6:07 AM Post #284 of 391
So... I have started the first listening sessions and so far so good the DK-4001 is really impressive... bass is simply among the very best I have heard, elite level...

Image d’iOS (37).jpg

The Dunu Noble cable is superbly built, just as good as the Hulk if not a tad above... this is not the usual stock cable...

Image d’iOS (40).jpg

This being said right now the combo I am digging is the Hansound Zen 8 wire on the DK-4001... soundstage expands into holographic territory and overall a smoother presentation that is more my preference...

Image d’iOS (41).jpg

can you compare and describe the differences how they play with dx220 and cayin n6II?

I am just getting started too early and I sold the DX220 unfortunately can't afford to have several top DAPs...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back