DUNU DK-4001 --- Discussion & Impressions Thread
Nov 27, 2019 at 9:06 AM Post #301 of 391
Dunu DK-3001, DK-3001 Pro, DK-4001 & 17th Anniversary Limited Edition! :)

photo_2019-11-27_21-57-02.jpg

Nov 27, 2019 at 10:24 AM Post #305 of 391
Review of the 17th in the works hopefully ? :innocent:

Dec 2, 2019 at 7:26 PM Post #306 of 391
Received my DK-4001 from Audio46 last week and have had a few hours to listen. At the same time I also received an iFi xDSD and subscribed to Tidal Premium so it's tough to give a review specifically about the DK-4001 as I've changed quite a bit in my system but here goes.

Although I've been into Audio for 30 years I haven't focused much on my headphone game. My previous listening experience was through Dunu DN-2000 and a Centrance DacPort Slim (AKM 4490 based) through Spotify. The change to Tidal and MQA was a huge change and even on the DN-2000 / Centrance system this was easily noticeable.

On my first listen with the DK4's I was a bit overwhelmed with the upper mid's. It may have been because I saw a lot of measurements in the reviews and know there's a bit of the peak there or I genuinely heard it. The other thing is that I couldn't get a comfortable fit with any Spin Fits. I'm a comply guy and I only received a med size set (I purchased an open box form Audio 46). I swapped out to Large Comply TX-500 and the mid peak was toned down considerably and the fit is perfect.

The sound sig now reminds me of what I loved about the DN-2000's. It kind of reminds me of a solid club or concert system. Clear articulate bass to drive the music and just enough high's and mids to be detailed. I admit I'm not a treble lover and don't care for ultimate sparkle. The DK4's have the right amount for me. The bass is not overly tight but is supremely musical. I love this style as it has a ton of drive and rhythm which is fantastic for any electronic music including hip-hop which is what I mostly listen to.

I did test some vocals on some pop recordings such as Ed Sheeran, the Weeknd, Carly Rae Jepsen, Rhianna as well as some Little Dragon. For me it was a really nice vocal presentation with just enough openness in the upper portions without getting too intense. Additionally the overall midrange coherence was good and didn't feel disjointed from the bass which is a huge deal for me. I'm not a V shaped guy and these do not sound V shaped at all.

Won't comment on the soundstage or imaging as that's something that I could never get any headphones to do for me. I'm usually a speaker guy and no headphones have ever been able to compare to stereo speakers for me in this regard.

Overall, I'm super happy with the DK-4001. Admittedly I don't have any experience with TOTL IEM's or Headphones so this is really only a report of what I like about the DK-4001's. They are fun, keep me engaged with the music and have remained comfortable over hours.

Dec 4, 2019 at 6:43 PM Post #307 of 391
Quick Update: I was listening to some stuff today and kinda felt like things sounded a bit closed in even if it was enjoyable. Switched the tips to Large SpinFits and presentation really opened up! Gonna do some more listening but I think I prefer the SpinFits and have a greater appreciation of the DK-4001's.

Dec 4, 2019 at 7:53 PM Post #308 of 391
I wonder how would the DK4001 stack against the 5 driver FiiO IEM. I know the DK4001 has more bass impact, but what about soundstage, separation, resolution, etc? Because there's a considerable price difference.

Dec 4, 2019 at 7:56 PM Post #309 of 391
I wonder how would the DK4001 stack against the 5 driver FiiO IEM. I know the DK4001 has more bass impact, but what about soundstage, separation, resolution, etc? Because there's a considerable price difference.

Against FH7?

I think that you may like DK-3001 PRO better than DK-4001 if you liked the fiio to be honest, more similar tunings, but Dunu's really good :)

Dec 5, 2019 at 12:40 AM Post #311 of 391
Quick Update: I was listening to some stuff today and kinda felt like things sounded a bit closed in even if it was enjoyable. Switched the tips to Large SpinFits and presentation really opened up! Gonna do some more listening but I think I prefer the SpinFits and have a greater appreciation of the DK-4001's.

The DK-4001 are a bit more fit and tip dependent than our other models and is key to dialing the right amount of treble response and hear the true treble extension. Too shallow a fit, and the lower treble will mask the upper treble, leading a poorer perception of treble extension.

DUNU It's a good time to go #PRO. Our next generation of in-ears powered by ECLIPSƎ are here! Learn more on our official website. Stay updated on DUNU at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/DUNU.FANS/ https://twitter.com/DUNU_Headphone https://www.instagram.com/dunu_topsound/ https://www.dunu-topsound.com/ https://m.me/DUNU.FANS int_ops@dunu-topsound.com, support@dunutopsound.com
Dec 15, 2019 at 5:15 AM Post #312 of 391
Where can I listen to the DK-4001 in Holland or England (will be visiting London in January).

Dec 26, 2019 at 10:43 PM Post #313 of 391
Listening to Gunship with these is quite the experience. Incredible.

small edit
My headphone setup is really simple right now.

This is just through the iPhone 8 (lossless) -> stock apple dongle -> straight to the DK-4001

I can pull up the volume/dB stats if you like.

I don’t know - some parts of the album sound at times almost holographic - others, very vertically spacious.

Other tracks sound intimate - and as if you’re sitting in the studio with the artists.

It seems incredibly versatile with whatever genre of music I throw at it.

There’s so much more to say about this IEM, but I’ll leave this short for now. I’m incredibly surprised there are not more people talking about this IEM.

The sound is downright delicious at times. So nice...

Last edited:
Dec 27, 2019 at 1:20 AM Post #314 of 391
Listening to Gunship with these is quite the experience. Incredible.

small edit
My headphone setup is really simple right now.

This is just through the iPhone 8 (lossless) -> stock apple dongle -> straight to the DK-4001

I can pull up the volume/dB stats if you like.

I don’t know - some parts of the album sound at times almost holographic - others, very vertically spacious.

Other tracks sound intimate - and as if you’re sitting in the studio with the artists.

It seems incredibly versatile with whatever genre of music I throw at it.

There’s so much more to say about this IEM, but I’ll leave this short for now. I’m incredibly surprised there are not more people talking about this IEM.

The sound is downright delicious at times. So nice...

We are not talking about the 4k1 because we are all enjoying listening to it. :)

I agree its good, it takes a short while to adjust to its nuances after listening to other IEM's in my collection but if I take the time to do so then its a winner.

All the talk appears to be around the more VFM chi-fi IEM's, this being more expensive is loosing out a little, I'm not saying at the price it isn't worth it but if we are honest it is probably out of many peoples budgets.

Dec 27, 2019 at 12:13 PM Post #315 of 391
My 4001 is around 20hrs and opened up quite a bit. These IEM really grow on you with time. Their intimate sound full of details with amazing height and depth and powerful clean bass together with cable, accessories and solid built is really something.
Someone in other thread said 4001 sound distant. What? You can point out some flaws but never ever these sound distant. To me it's an amazing 'in your head" experience because soundstage width is kind of limited, but this is fine because of the great technicalities and full open vocals that never sounds congested.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back