DUNU DK-4001 --- Discussion & Impressions Thread
May 19, 2020 at 1:46 PM Post #361 of 391
I received a set of 4001 yesterday, and have been trying to find the right tips. I have never had any luck with spinfits on any iem ive had or tried. I am finding a few common traits though. The bass, and mids coming from the dynamic, are superb. My problem comes from the tuning of the BAs, every tip, the highs sound splashy and tinny, they sound like a very cheap, poorly tuned iems would sound. Then, you get any amount of congested passages going, and it blurs into a mess of white noise. I seriously hope i just havnt found the right tips yet, i have a set of long azla sedna lights coming tomorrow. This is running balanced out of my sony zx300, with no sound settings changed. Yes im used to bright iems, i own the ex1000 and audiosense t800. I really hope i can find the right tip because the mids and bass are killer on these, they really are special on that end of things.

Edit, i want to clarify something, i highly doubt this is what anyone else is hearing that enjoys these, it is blatantly obvious to me just bythe dynamics performance and the quality of this product that Dunu knows what theyre doing. I simply have not seemed to be able to get the right seal/inserti0n depth or bore size to show me what they intended for us to hear. This can happen on any iem, i know firsthand how much my ex1k changes with tips, to where i see peoples opinions on it and know if its possible they have not tip rolled enough. Any and all suggestions are very much welcomed here i want to keep these for the mids/lows alone, thats how good the dynamic is. The treble sounding so shrill and splashy can't be the intention here.

Last edited:
May 19, 2020 at 3:04 PM Post #362 of 391
I received a set of 4001 yesterday, and have been trying to find the right tips. I have never had any luck with spinfits on any iem ive had or tried. I am finding a few common traits though. The bass, and mids coming from the dynamic, are superb. My problem comes from the tuning of the BAs, every tip, the highs sound splashy and tinny, they sound like a very cheap, poorly tuned iems would sound. Then, you get any amount of congested passages going, and it blurs into a mess of white noise. I seriously hope i just havnt found the right tips yet, i have a set of long azla sedna lights coming tomorrow. This is running balanced out of my sony zx300, with no sound settings changed. Yes im used to bright iems, i own the ex1000 and audiosense t800. I really hope i can find the right tip because the mids and bass are killer on these, they really are special on that end of things.

Edit, i want to clarify something, i highly doubt this is what anyone else is hearing that enjoys these, it is blatantly obvious to me just bythe dynamics performance and the quality of this product that Dunu knows what theyre doing. I simply have not seemed to be able to get the right seal/inserti0n depth or bore size to show me what they intended for us to hear. This can happen on any iem, i know firsthand how much my ex1k changes with tips, to where i see peoples opinions on it and know if its possible they have not tip rolled enough. Any and all suggestions are very much welcomed here i want to keep these for the mids/lows alone, thats how good the dynamic is. The treble sounding so shrill and splashy can't be the intention here.

Yeah the spinfits & clear Dunu tips did not work for me either (though I have appropriated them for some other IEMs they matched pretty well with), agree kind of like ex1k these can get a bit splashy if you don't find the right insertion depth. This is one of those IEMs where I use a smaller tip than I usually would- settled on wide bore ortofon tips which are super pliant, though I think spiral dots might work too just haven't tried them in a while.

I also find they are fairly source sensitive, rec trying a few sources or passing signal through an external amp to test that out. For instance they seem to be noticably brighter & practically unlistenable with my Plenue V but fine other sources like V30 phone or Opus#1- don't know if that is an output impedance thing or some other 'synergy'/power delivery type of situation.

Last edited:
May 19, 2020 at 3:24 PM Post #363 of 391
Yeah the spinfits & clear Dunu tips did not work for me either (though I have appropriated them for some other IEMs they matched pretty well with), agree kind of like ex1k these can get a bit splashy if you don't find the right insertion depth. This is one of those IEMs where I use a smaller tip than I usually would- settled on wide bore ortofon tips which are super pliant, though I think spiral dots might work too just haven't tried them in a while.

I also find they are fairly source sensitive, rec trying a few sources or passing signal through an external amp to test that out. For instance they seem to be noticably brighter & practically unlistenable with my Plenue V but fine other sources like V30 phone or Opus#1- don't know if that is an output impedance thing or some other 'synergy'/power delivery type of situation.

Ill try them on my fiio x3i, then on my audio gd r2r11 when i get home. The r2r11 should smooth out the highs. The zx300 does that on the ex1k, right now the symbio wide bore are actually rolling off most of that splash, i have too many tips and im trying to give each set ample time so i know for certain how they change the sound. That low end though, may be better than the ex1k, the mids are more detailed i would say, with the timbre and crunch to guitars being more enjoyable on the dunu. Soundstage is something i knew couldnt be matched, that ex1k just owns that. Im looking forward to those azla tips though i know alot of folks swear by them for everything.

May 19, 2020 at 9:30 PM Post #364 of 391
I got a good seal with smaller than usual size spinfits and liked what i was hearing alot, but kept losing the seal if i barely moved at all. Im thinking my ears just dont like these, im going to keep trying but looking at selling trading i believe. But man, when i had a good seal, that low end was fantastic. I think these are a good fit more for electronic and rap, which i really dont listen to. Wonder if the fiio fh7 or andro would have been a better fit, literally and sound sig wise. Cool iem though for sure, beautiful product and an interesting signature with the right seal.

May 21, 2020 at 11:42 PM Post #365 of 391
Can someone from dunu help me here? When i can manage to get a good seal with the spinfit tips they designed for the 4001, i am happy, but i cant seem to get a steady seal. The azna seems to run large so they didnt fit, gotta try a size or 2 down. If i hold the smallest spinfits in place, i get such a radically different sound than any other tip. That treble harshness i talked about, and crinacle also stated ( re read that after i got them) is gone only when i get the right seal and only with spinfits. Man, i want to keep these so bad but i need a solid solution. What other tips can i get that will give me the amazing sound i get with the correct seal and spinfits? These sound so stellar when i sit still and almost hold in place the smallest spinfits, i think as a whole they are easily on par with the ex1k and better in quite a few ways. Do i need custom tips?

May 22, 2020 at 2:59 AM Post #366 of 391
Can someone from dunu help me here? When i can manage to get a good seal with the spinfit tips they designed for the 4001, i am happy, but i cant seem to get a steady seal. The azna seems to run large so they didnt fit, gotta try a size or 2 down. If i hold the smallest spinfits in place, i get such a radically different sound than any other tip. That treble harshness i talked about, and crinacle also stated ( re read that after i got them) is gone only when i get the right seal and only with spinfits. Man, i want to keep these so bad but i need a solid solution. What other tips can i get that will give me the amazing sound i get with the correct seal and spinfits? These sound so stellar when i sit still and almost hold in place the smallest spinfits, i think as a whole they are easily on par with the ex1k and better in quite a few ways. Do i need custom tips?
Have you tried a spacer / o-ring behind the spinfits? Also have a read of this handy tip comparison post by @subguy812 for the Luna. Assuming what you need is a narrow bore tip, you could also try asking Dunu support for a set of Dk 2001 tips, or try the ISN tips if they’re available from Penon. Good luck!

I previously posted a link to Audio Rabbit Hole to this tip comparison, but wanted to include it here for folks that don't like to go outside of Head-Fi

20200317_114046.jpg

DUNU has done an incredible job with the tuning of this single driver. One of the first things you notice is how tiny and lightweight the IEM is. Fit issues was the first thing that popped into my mind, without even trying it. Wonderfully, that worry was quickly alleviated and I have had a comfortable fit(IEM wise, tips not) and was able to achieve a seal with almost every tip I tried. When you first insert them into your ears, because they are so lightweight, you feel you haven’t achieved a seal, but once the music starts, Voila! you have a seal.
CAUTION from DUNU – there is an off chance that the very soft driver surround gets “stuck” in another vibrational mode that causes the tinny/faraway sound. This might happen if you push in the earphones too quickly and at just the wrong angle. Usually with people who prefer really deep insertions and really tight seals. Happened with the Final Type E tips once before, and they’re supposed to have the tightest seal of all the FAD tips around.

SQ and comfort wise, I have spent too much time tip rolling, thanks to COVID-19 staying at home, time isn’t an issue. Let me save time for others experiencing the Luna. This is not an exhaustive list, but please see photo for tips tried. While it may not be exhaustive, I feel exhausted after A/Bing for days.

20200329_082318-300x225.jpg

I am going to highlight six different offerings and put them in order of MY preference, as always this is my subjective opinion and YMMV. Understand that these opinions can result in tiny changes within the sound signature. I have somewhere around 75-100 hours of listening time with the Luna. One other thing I am noticing is with more seasoning the sound becomes less tip dependent. If you find “your tip” at the beginning, it will be yours and with time will improve. None of these provide the listener with a bad experience, just some enhancements. Keep in mind, I have critically listened so you can casually listen. I love the sound of the Luna.

6) Spiral Dot ++ – I was surprised that I didn’t care for this tip on the Luna. They are reasonably comfortable and can be inserted deep to provide the best sound. It just didn’t showcase any of the signature. They are meh. Possibly, it creates balance without bringing out the best of any frequency.

5) Final E tips- Between these and Spiral Dots they are generally my go to for most IEM’s. Comfortable, absolutely no comfort issues. Deep insertion delivers the best sound. Overall, the sound loses some of the layering, air and separation in the bass. Overall, throughout the signature, some of the clarity and air is lost. Some of the effects of punch and speed are perceived to be minimized. If this is what you have rock them, but at least try some of the other options. I use LL size.

4) Spiral Dots – The OG Spiral Dots need a size up and shallow insertion as well. Again, just insert until you can feel it against your ear hole. If you insert it deeper it will stay in your ear and it really isn’t necessary. The mid range is a tad more upfront which cause this to be a bit too mid forward for my tastes. I do enjoy some holographic imaging with the Spiral Dots. Bass punch is present and impact is good, just feel the mid-range is attenuated too much and captures too much of the attention. Comfort is a non-issue because of the shallow insertion. I use L size.

3) Sedna Azla OG(Dark Grey light grey stem) – The only reason these are 3 is because of comfort, they are a little stiff. To avoid this, only insert until you can feel the seal, no vacuum needed, just cover your ear hole. Because they are a stiffer ear tip shallow insertion and seal is possible. This shallow insertion may require one size larger than you usually use. These will present you with the most bass quantity, allowing you to feel the bass. Slightly less bass transparency, but I love the trade-off with rumble. With the wide bore, the clarity is present and the treble displays great extension. Because of the added bass quantity some of the holographic imaging is lost when compared to other wide bore tips.Plenty of air around the notes. This may be one of my favorite overall sound signatures, but with deep insertion they are not comfortable. Shallow insertion and prosper. I use L size.

2) Azla Sedna Earfit Light Short – This eartip can be inserted at a medium depth for best sound. These provide an incredible balance to the Luna. The mid-range is detailed, can hear fingers pluck the strings. There is good bass punch, and slightly above average rumble, especially when the song has sub bass. The layering and detail of the bass is incredible. The imaging is above average and some holographic properties are heard. The stage is average width and accurate. This ear tip will showcase the speed and dynamism of the Luna. Most anyone can find a size that will work as they offer in-between sizes. For most users they may be #1. I use L tips.

1) Spinfit CP360 – To my ears these are the Holy Grail for the Luna. I must say that I hate Spinfit as a rule, poor seal and they never do much for the sound quality. A little birdy told me that the DUNU sound engineer preferred these, so I said what the heck give them a try. The only problem may be obtaining a seal. I have a large ear hole which may be why I have never liked Spinfit. I utilize a shallow insertion, up to the point where they are slightly past the ear hole opening. With music on upon insertion you will hear the sweet spot. The sound is lively, energetic. There is above average sub bass, they bass tickles my ears, layering and detail is ever present. Percussion is fast with short decay and showcases the snap of the Beryllium driver. the treble is never offensive but extends well and has a sparkle. A great song to try is by The Rippingtons, Kings Road. I cannot recommend these enough with the caveat that they have no in-between sizes so the fit may not be for you. I use XL size.

I want to recommend some tracks to showcase your new Luna.

Before Sunrise (The Rippingtons) – showcases imaging and holography, details in strings and the occasional percussion can be felt. The bass is in its stage and can felt at times.

Kings Road (The Rippingtons) – mentioned above, showcases timbre and tonality of drums. Also, the speed is incredible.

1,2, To the Bass (Stanley Clarke) – This really displays the transparency and layering in bass. While this is a bass oriented song it doesn’t really rumble, but oh so subtly.

Trip Trap (Marcus Miller) – Bass lover’s rejoice. Quantity and quality…incredible

What Did I Do (Southern Avenue) – Female vocals, sounds like she is in your room…so sexy. The speed is once again at the fore front but the female vocals are all the rage…just listen to the whole release it is all great

May 24, 2020 at 9:17 PM Post #367 of 391
Have you tried a spacer / o-ring behind the spinfits? Also have a read of this handy tip comparison post by @subguy812 for the Luna. Assuming what you need is a narrow bore tip, you could also try asking Dunu support for a set of Dk 2001 tips, or try the ISN tips if they’re available from Penon. Good luck!

I got another set of azlas and boom, good to go. I still want to maybe try modding these if its possible. There is a very good base to start with, but sometimes the treble gets etch-y, moreso than the ex1k, or its just the ex1k has that air to it where its not as noticeable. Either way, happy with them for sure, you get some amazing micro detail and timbre out of vocals. Was listening to some mark lanegan recordings and i can hear so much more in his throat than ive ever heard before.

May 24, 2020 at 9:37 PM Post #368 of 391
I got another set of azlas and boom, good to go. I still want to maybe try modding these if its possible. There is a very good base to start with, but sometimes the treble gets etch-y, moreso than the ex1k, or its just the ex1k has that air to it where its not as noticeable. Either way, happy with them for sure, you get some amazing micro detail and timbre out of vocals. Was listening to some mark lanegan recordings and i can hear so much more in his throat than ive ever heard before.

yeah 4001 can work well for male vocals without being so overly warm as a lot of that type of iem tends to be, esp compared to ex1000 where I think probably its biggest weak spot (aside from trble spike/fit issue some people have) is how vocal mixes can sometimes come off a little weird

I wish I could combine the 4001 bass-lower midrange w/ the Sony N3's upper mid-treble & soundstage, that would be just about a perfect hybrid driver IEM (thinking about it now maybe M9 isn't too far off that mark except could use a little more brightness & the dynamic driver air movement).

Last edited:
May 29, 2020 at 11:06 PM Post #369 of 391
Cable rolling, trying this 4core 4.4mm full copper cable, an isn s4 spc cable, and the noble obviously. I am not a huge cable fellow, but small changes can be made ive heard it on my other in ears. 20200529_194703.jpg

Jun 4, 2020 at 5:42 AM Post #370 of 391
Yes, I was thinking that as well!

I do have your post regarding the differences between the cables bookmarked - https://www.head-fi.org/threads/dunu-dk-4001-discussion-impressions-thread.888107/post-15181348

This one's for you, @rantng ! https://www.head-fi.org/threads/dunu-quick-switch-modular-plug-cables-discussion-thread.934000/

We have heard people take issue with the DK-4001's treble response. The main culprit may be fit and depth of insertion --- not everyone can get an ideal fit and depth with the DK-4001, and it sometimes ends up sounding quite peaky for some people. Our main recommendation would be to find ideal sounding tips to pair with the DK-4001, and try to get as secure and deep a fit as you can.

DUNU It's a good time to go #PRO. Our next generation of in-ears powered by ECLIPSƎ are here! Learn more on our official website. Stay updated on DUNU at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/DUNU.FANS/ https://twitter.com/DUNU_Headphone https://www.instagram.com/dunu_topsound/ https://www.dunu-topsound.com/ https://m.me/DUNU.FANS int_ops@dunu-topsound.com, support@dunutopsound.com
Nov 7, 2020 at 6:45 PM Post #371 of 391
👍

Users who are viewing this thread

Back