DUNU DK-2001 - 3 BA + 1 beryllium DD hybrid: the long-awaited follow-up to the DN-2000 and DN-2000J!
Jan 7, 2020 at 7:39 AM Post #91 of 292
Sq wise I cannot compare for you because I have not heard the 2002. After looking at the photos of the DK2002, it appears that they have the share similarities in shell design with the DK-3001 I reviewed. The other thing I noticed was the DK2002 includes the older cable system. I was not happy with the fit of the DK-3001 and the DK2002 looks eerily similar. The fit of the DK-2001 has been thankfully retooled. The comfort is leaps and bounds above the older design, to my ears. The cable system included with the DK-2001 is the quick switch type of system to allow you to switch connectors without removing the cables, thus offering convenience and saves on wear and tear on the connection slots. I can totally endorse the DK-2001 from all aspects.

DUNU is becoming a major player in the market.

The SQ of the DK-2001 is full and rich. The bass is snappy and impactful with a moderate decay, DD bass coming in with a 13 mm driver. 1 mid-high BA and 2 ultra-high BA's balance out the sound.

Personally, and I am good at spending other's money, but I would go for the latest technology. You certainly can guarantee that the DK-2001 will perform at a level higher than the $299 price tag.

If it helps regarding the DN-2002 and the cable system for any 2002 owners out there: I was able to carefully dremel off the Plastic ‘lip’ on the headphone’s mmcx connectors a few months ago. (Go low and slow and shave it down, or use a hobby knife once you’ve made the initial dremel cut. The second one took maybe 2 mins tops with the knife.). I don’t recommend doing this if aren’t comfortable potentially ruinThe result is that they now work with any mmcx cable, are more comfortable (that few mm shaved off does help), and they still look ‘stock’ - you’d never know the difference by looking really.

I hope to compare the 2001 to the 2002 (and the rest of the Dunu IEMs!) at some point.

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2020 at 7:45 AM Post #92 of 292
If it helps regarding the DN-2002 and the cable system for any 2002 owners out there: I was able to carefully dremel off the Plastic ‘lip’ on the headphone’s mmcx connectors a few months ago. (Go low and slow and shave it down, or use a hobby knife once you’ve made the initial dremel cut). The result is that they now work with any mmcx cable, are more comfortable (that few mm shaved off does help), and they still look ‘stock’ - you’d never know the difference by looking really.

I hope to compare the 2001 to the 2002 (and the rest of the Dunu IEMs!) at some point.
Can you post photos for anyone interested?

Jan 7, 2020 at 8:00 AM Post #93 of 292
The DK-2001 is certainly not dark sounding, but we did our best to avoid sibilance and harshness. If you feel brightness with the stock silicone tips is an issue, give the included foam tips a try. Also, even though they're not included as part of the kit, the SpinFit CP145 tips are a good choice for controlling top end brightness for a number of people.

So I will say I have never been a fan of foam tips so I can't respond regarding that. I always have go to ear tips I try before I even bother with stock, and honestly I usually never get around to stock. I tried the Final E, Spiral Dots, and Sedna tips but ended up preferring the stock, similar colored tips for sound quality. Sibilance is really more a symptom of a poorly recorded or harsh music file. Sometimes the strident treble and uneven sound come from a poor seal. Even if you feel you have a good seal, you know will know when you have a great seal. The thing to listen for in hybrids is coherency. The DUNU nails coherency. It is a super enjoyable listen and really has piqued my interest in the LUNA. I have another single DD unit that would be wonderful to compare with.

Jan 7, 2020 at 8:24 AM Post #94 of 292
Can you post photos for anyone interested?

Hell yes. Disclaimer - obviously if you still have a warranty don’t do this, and definitely don’t do this unless you know what you’re doing.

DN-2002:
9EAD3888-685F-4B69-8F2F-F99F75F53C6C.jpeg 4C4FD64F-AF90-42D2-B63A-8D0D47B0F86A.jpeg 7E013C63-B810-4AED-BE07-A6A9900BBB0F.jpeg

You can see the left IEM (pic right) was my first attempt.. as I tried to sand down the outside of lip too much. Still connection is stable and works fine. If I remember correctly, the right IEM (pic left) was the one I used the hobby knife on. Use padded tool to hold them. Once you make the initial cut in to score the plastic and give you a guide cut, it is rather easy peasy.

You can see how far Dunu has come just in the shell design alone...(man the 2001’s look so nice...) anyways there they are with Dunu’s Noble cable.

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2020 at 1:33 PM Post #98 of 292
I compare it to the DK-3001 in the review. The fit is WAY better with these.
I'm guessing it is the old dk3001 and not the newer pro version?

Jan 11, 2020 at 1:35 PM Post #99 of 292
I'm guessing it is the old dk3001 and not the newer pro version?
Correct, I am talking about the old version. I will be getting my hands on the new Pro version soon as well though and will do a comparison.

Jan 11, 2020 at 1:38 PM Post #100 of 292
Correct, I am talking about the old version. I will be getting my hands on the new Pro version soon as well though and will do a comparison.
Yeah that would be nice, because I am interested in both the 2001 and 3001 pro.

Jan 19, 2020 at 10:33 AM Post #102 of 292
DSC06881.JPG

I remember some of the complaints of the old DN-2000J. Some wanted more bass. The treble had a bit too much in the 7Khz region so folks were resorting to moding the nozzle. These are essentially a corrected DN-2000J.

I have to admit I have never had a beryllium coated dynamic doing bass but bass authority is awesome on these. I can see the evolution of the older DUNU sound to these. I can say these will please audiophiles who like them some bass. I have been burning my pair in but it is all about evolution in what you do. Never had an orange colored iem before but I must say these look very cool in hand. Not to mention extremely comfortable.

I remember there was a time here on headfi that if an earphone had bass. Well then it must be for the kids. I am seeing a gradual movement where bass is and should be accepted by the enthusiast. After all what concert have you gone to that had weak bass.? The bass head side of me and the enthusiast side of me most definitely welcomes what DUNU is doing with these. I will be doing a full review on this one but for now. I will be enjoying my time with them. I live in Denver so folks will be Jelly when I walk around with orange IEMs. Lol.
DSC06889.JPG

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2020 at 10:39 AM Post #103 of 292

I remember some of the complaints of the old DN-2000J. Some wanted more bass. The treble had a bit too much in the 7Khz region so folks were resorting to moding the nozzle. These are essentially a corrected DN-2000J.

I have to admit I have never had a beryllium coated dynamic doing bass but bass authority is awesome on these. I can see the evolution of the older DUNU sound to these. I can say these will please audiophiles who like them some bass. I have been burning my pair in but it is all about evolution in what you do. Never had an orange colored iem before but I must say these look very cool in hand. Not to mention extremely comfortable.

I remember there was a time here on headfi that if an earphone had bass. Well then it must be for the kids. I am seeing a gradual movement where bass is and should be accepted by the enthusiast. After all what concert have you gone to that had weak bass.? The bass head side of me and the enthusiast side of me most definitely welcomes what DUNU is doing with these. I will be doing a full review on this one but for now. I will be enjoying my time with them. I live in Denver so folks will be Jelly when I walk around with orange IEMs. Lol.
I get it dude. I am so glad we have evolved from dry and clinical being the only audiophile tuning that was accepted. The DK2001 is anything but dry. Super nice signature and enjoyable for all genres.

Jan 20, 2020 at 9:17 AM Post #104 of 292
So my DK2001 has showed up. I love fast and authorative bass. Also, how light and small are these puppies. In era of big and heavy metal shell designs, this is refreshing. Comfort A+. And cable? Wow. Light and soft. For the first time I will stick to the stock cable, and most likely I will use it with other IEMs. I ordered 2.5 balanced plug seperately and this modular switching thing is wonderful. Great job Dunu!
Edit: Vocals are more in front than in any other earphones I previously checked. Instruments are behind vocals, well separated as if in another layer.

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2020 at 5:51 AM Post #105 of 292
IMG_20200124_120759__01.jpg Finally received DK-2001 which was stuck in Indian Customs for 15 days.

First Impressions:
Amazing build quality
Amazing cable
Genius Plug mechanism
Impressive tips selection in box

Sound Impressions:
BASS! Just the right amount and the best quality.
It doesn't bleed over the mids. Treble is sparkly and non fatiguing.
More than enough details to get lost in the music.
Sound stage is Above average.

Source used Sony ZX300 on 4.4 Balanced.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back