DUNU - Discussion/Impressions Master Thread
Jul 28, 2023 at 9:37 PM Post #2,116 of 2,483
Hello everyone,

Just a heads-up you'll be notified if you were selected for Alpha 3 within a week from now

10 were selected - thanks!

-Seb

Jul 29, 2023 at 9:58 PM Post #2,118 of 2,483
I posted this information in the Earbuds Round-Up thread and want to share it here as well. This is not to belittle or complain about the Alpha 3 earbuds. It's a follow-up on my thoughts about the Alpha 3 lacking in bass extension and my experiments to tune the buds for better bass and overall sound. Some people will be very happy with the tuning from the factory and that's ok, no problem if you're happy with how they sound. Myself and a couple others feel the bass is lacking, so this is my mod to tune the buds for better bass and overall balance. Maybe share this with the designers and see if my mod makes the buds sound better to them too(?).

After some time with the Alpha 3, I'm finding they're a little lacking in the bass department. They do have nice mids / treble, but if I want to get some decent bass I have to raise the volume which also pushes the volume of mids / treble into my danger zone. One design feature of the Alpha 3 is the porting at the rear base portion of the driver housing where the stem protrudes. In most buds we encounter, the back ports get either fully covered (think MX500) or partially covered (think FF5) which can aid in adding some bass extension. Maybe if the Alpha 3 back ports were covered by foam the bass would be enhanced(?). I have some 3m Micropore tape and diy tuning foam, so I'm gonna try covering those back ports and see what happens to the sound signature.

Alright guys, I have the Alpha 3 bass mod for those that want to turn a good bud into an excellent bud.

Per DUNU's product feature description:
"Invisible Surround Multi-Channel Acoustic Vent Design Architecture: In order to get a truly high-resolution sound performance with the pair, DUNU has designed the Alpha 3 with a surround multi-channel acoustic vent design with vents placed on the back of the shell. The vents are invisible as they are hidden with the tip of the earbuds on the back side of the shell."

In DUNU's product shot below, you can clearly see some of the vents in the bud in the forefront.

By completely covering those vents with very thin tuning foam, the buds are tuned for very good bass extension and a more balanced sound.

Hey @o0genesis0o, since you are doing some earbuds DIY, you might have some very thin tuning foams and give this a try and also give us some objective FR measurements. I think you will see and hear the bass is tuned much better.

EDIT: I tried using some 3M Micropore tape first and it did not give the results I was looking for. Here's a link to the very thin tuning foam I used. It's much thinner than the standard low density foam of the regular low, medium and high density tuning foams people usually use for tuning buds.

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2023 at 6:24 PM Post #2,119 of 2,483
Want to review falcon ultra

Noted when we have a future review wave. All units from wave #1 have already been sent out!

I posted this information in the Earbuds Round-Up thread and want to share it here as well. This is not to belittle or complain about the Alpha 3 earbuds. It's a follow-up on my thoughts about the Alpha 3 lacking in bass extension and my experiments to tune the buds for better bass and overall sound. Some people will be very happy with the tuning from the factory and that's ok, no problem if you're happy with how they sound. Myself and a couple others feel the bass is lacking, so this is my mod to tune the buds for better bass and overall balance. Maybe share this with the designers and see if my mod makes the buds sound better to them too(?).

Alright guys, I have the Alpha 3 bass mod for those that want to turn a good bud into an excellent bud.

"Invisible Surround Multi-Channel Acoustic Vent Design Architecture: In order to get a truly high-resolution sound performance with the pair, DUNU has designed the Alpha 3 with a surround multi-channel acoustic vent design with vents placed on the back of the shell. The vents are invisible as they are hidden with the tip of the earbuds on the back side of the shell."

In DUNU's product shot below, you can clearly see some of the vents in the bud in the forefront.

By completely covering those vents with very thin tuning foam, the buds are tuned for very good bass extension and a more balanced sound.

Hey @o0genesis0o, since you are doing some earbuds DIY, you might have some very thin tuning foams and give this a try and also give us some objective FR measurements. I think you will see and hear the bass is tuned much better.

EDIT: I tried using some 3M Micropore tape first and it did not give the results I was looking for. Here's a link to the very thin tuning foam I used. It's much thinner than the standard low density foam of the regular low, medium and high density tuning foams people usually use for tuning buds.

This is an awesome mod - thanks so much for sharing. I am a bit of a basshead so will be more than likely rocking this mod than not!

Jul 31, 2023 at 6:27 PM Post #2,120 of 2,483

Thanks for the suggestion. I need to dig through my DIY stash to see if I have any horseshoe foam left. Will try and post measurements here and the earbuds thread if I get to it. A bit more warmth and thickness would balance Alpha 3 out nicely.

Jul 31, 2023 at 6:27 PM Post #2,121 of 2,483
Jul 31, 2023 at 7:54 PM Post #2,122 of 2,483

Will this mod also tame down the mid-bass a bit? I find the mid-bass to be quite prominent, I will try this mod when the unit returns to me and by that time I might have a bunch of other buds as well.

Jul 31, 2023 at 8:56 PM Post #2,123 of 2,483
This is an awesome mod - thanks so much for sharing. I am a bit of a basshead so will be more than likely rocking this mod than not!
Thanks for the suggestion. I need to dig through my DIY stash to see if I have any horseshoe foam left. Will try and post measurements here and the earbuds thread if I get to it. A bit more warmth and thickness would balance Alpha 3 out nicely.
Will this mod also tame down the mid-bass a bit? I find the mid-bass to be quite prominent, I will try this mod when the unit returns to me and by that time I might have a bunch of other buds as well.

I should have been clearer in the mod description... I used the center of the foams, not the horseshoe portion. The center portion is completely covered by a thin layer of adhesive. No worries though, it does act as a tuning filter. I tried a thicker tuning foam center first and it was too much bass, then I remembered that I had very thin tuning foams and it worked much better. The first thing I tried was 3M Micropore tape, but it barely changed the bass at all.

1st try: 3M Micropore tape. I put the Micropore tape onto parchment paper as a backer, punched the holes (3mm) and then cut them out with scissors. After I cut the 'donuts' out, I cut the 'donuts' in half and applied the semicircle Micropore filter on one half, then the other half. The space is very tight so you need some small angled pointy tweezers.

Micropore tape.jpg

Tuning foams, see the center portion. I don't throw them away because you never know if they will be useful. Which they definitely were.

Tuning foams.jpg

As mentioned above, I used parchment paper as the backing and applied the foam center to the parchment paper. I used a 3mm leather punch to cut the hole for the small nipple between the driver shell and the cable stem. Then I used a scissors to trim the center foam to make them more circular and a bit smaller in diameter. Then I cut them in half, centered through the hole (same as with the Micropore above). Peel the foam from the backing then applied the tuning foam a half at a time. You need patience because there is little room to work and the foam adhesive sticks on what ever it touches.

Tuning foams hole punched.jpg

As far as taming the mid-bass, probably not, because the entire bass spectrum is brought up. With factory tuning the midrange / treble seems to be the highlight. After doing the mod, the bass is increased so that music feels more full bodied, while the midrange / treble loses some edge, but not to the extent that you lose too much crispiness.

If you already have some tuning foam on hand, then it's something to try. I was also thinking about using some yarn and winding it around the nipple between the back of the driver housing and the cable stem. Who knows maybe that would work too. Worst case scenario using some yarn is you can see if covering the back vents really does boost the bass or not. I can subjectively say that the foam mod does increase the bass, but hopefully we can get some confirmation with a FR measurement.

Aug 2, 2023 at 2:02 PM Post #2,124 of 2,483
Hi all. Would the SA6 mk2 be considered bass heavy?

I'm looking to downgrade to a slightly warmer, less bassier IEM (compared to the Thieaudio Monarch mk2, which I felt was bass heavy).

Aug 2, 2023 at 6:38 PM Post #2,126 of 2,483
Hi all. Would the SA6 mk2 be considered bass heavy?

I'm looking to downgrade to a slightly warmer, less bassier IEM (compared to the Thieaudio Monarch mk2, which I felt was bass heavy).

I would not consider the SA6 MK2 as a basshead/bass-heavy IEM.

Aug 3, 2023 at 4:26 PM Post #2,128 of 2,483
Bass full

Full is a good word to describe the bass of the MK2 - it's not overpowering or lacking in quantity but full.

Not usually a fan of BA bass, but the drivers chosen for the MK2 are quite good - similar level of texture to the Symphonium Meteor in my book.

Aug 3, 2023 at 9:25 PM Post #2,129 of 2,483
Full is a good word to describe the bass of the MK2 - it's not overpowering or lacking in quantity but full.

Not usually a fan of BA bass, but the drivers chosen for the MK2 are quite good - similar level of texture to the Symphonium Meteor in my book.
I'm a fan of sonion ba woofer , but definitely I love DD bass the most

Users who are viewing this thread

Back