DUNU - Discussion/Impressions Master Thread
Jul 25, 2023 at 3:13 AM Post #2,102 of 2,483
Hi everyone,

If you are just getting started with reviewing and would like to check out our Alpha 3 earbuds, please let me know.

We would love to consider working with you and rolling you in our system.

If you:
  1. Do not work with HiFiGo in any capacity, so out of respect we don't overlap with their reviewers.
  2. Do not have many reviews yet.
  3. Can read instructions and deliver on a timely manner in two weeks to a month.
Please PM me with your full name, shipping information, phone, and any shipping preferences or general things you think we should know that would be beneficial for you.

First come first serve. 10 slots remain - go!

...and re-read this post twice to follow instructions accurately so you don't get disqualified because you missed something.

Jul 25, 2023 at 10:36 AM Post #2,103 of 2,483
Hi everyone,

If you are just getting started with reviewing and would like to check out our Alpha 3 earbuds, please let me know.

If you:
  1. Do not work with HiFiGo in any capacity, so out of respect we don't overlap with their reviewers.
  3. Can read instructions and deliver on a timely manner in two weeks to a month.
Please PM me with your full name, shipping information, phone, and any shipping preferences or general things you think we should know that would be beneficial for you.

...and re-read this post twice to follow instructions accurately so you don't get disqualified because you missed something.
Dropped you a PM :)

Jul 25, 2023 at 11:08 AM Post #2,104 of 2,483
Reporting on further testing with the DUNU Falcon Ultra.

Just got off a 30 min A/B comparison between the Falcon Ultra and the legendary Tanchjim Oxygen. The Oxygen has had many stealth revisions to tuning/drivers over the years, and FWIW my Oxygen is the first version with the original lauded drivers (which gives more sub-bass).

In terms of knick-knacks, the Falcon Ultra is definitely king. It has one of the most generously accessorized IEMs I've seen at the $200ish bracket. It has a modular cable to allow both 3.5mm and 4.4mm source pairing, which increases its versatility. It is a real looker too, with the blue reflective shells giving the Falcon Ultra a very distinctive yet elegant aesthetic.

The Falcon Ultra has better fit - there are quite a lot of forum reports of the stubby Oxygen nozzle causing fit issues.

On to sound, which is the most important comparison!

The Falcon Ultra has 2 tuning nozzles, which converts it between a Harmanish signature and a more laid back one. This is kind of getting 2 IEMs in 1.

Both sets have natural timbre in keeping with their single DD roots.

With the blue nozzle in place on the Falcon Ultra, both sets are Harmanish, though the Falcon Ultra has a bit more bass and upper mids, albeit the Oxygen is a bit airier and sparkly in the upper treble.

When it comes to technicalities, the Falcon Ultra is superior in soundstage, imaging, layering and instrument separation. Micro-detailing is about on par.

The Oxygen has been my midFI single DD benchmark pair for the past 3 years, but the Falcon Ultra has taken over this mantle, boasting better versatility (via source pairing cable modules and tuning nozzles), better fit and better technicalities.
I have been waiting a long time for a oxygen/Kato successor and this seems to be very interesting with that eclipse driver. I'll be honest and say that I preferred the katos more then the oxygens due to more thicker male vocals. If you were to compare the falcons to the katos then which one would you give the win for on male vocals alone? I prefer thicker, forward and more realistic vocals above anything else and felt the oxygens sounded a bit too lean in that department for my tastes so was not sure if this iem would be for me.

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2023 at 1:45 PM Post #2,105 of 2,483
Hi everyone,

If you:

I purchased mine a couple weeks back. Still trying to figure out how much 'seal' and bass to except. Just resting in the concha does not produce much bass and needs turned up. The ear stretching and painful method of trying to push them deeper in the canal to seal. I've tried foam and no foam. Another member recommended some silicon sleeves that might try out.

Jul 25, 2023 at 1:50 PM Post #2,106 of 2,483
I purchased mine a couple weeks back. Still trying to figure out how much 'seal' and bass to except. Just resting in the concha does not produce much bass and needs turned up. The ear stretching and painful method of trying to push them deeper in the canal to seal. I've tried foam and no foam. Another member recommended some silicon sleeves that might try out.
Earbuds is more about upper mid bass than sub, and it's not supposed to inserted deep. Also a few earbud models lack mid bass also, not sure about how Alpha 3 is. Have one on the way soon.

What earbuds often excel at is very good mids and treble, with a soundstage more open than IEMs.

Jul 25, 2023 at 7:02 PM Post #2,107 of 2,483
Hi everyone,

If you:

I already purchased my set, but thanks. :)

Earbuds are NOT like IEMs at all. You will need to listen to them exclusively for a week or more to get the real feel of the sound coming from them (time to get your ears/brain out of thinking that they need to have a huge, boosted bass comparatively). After such time, you will see that there is plenty of bass (especially mid bass) on this set.

Think of earbuds as more akin to open back headphones than IEMs, though they normally don't have the amount of bass of a boosted set of open headphones. If you can't get used to the difference in sound over some time with them, then earbuds might not be for you. Having said that, the bass is actually a bit boosted on these buds (though not as much in sub bass). There ARE some that have bass enough to almost satisfy even a basshead, but they are normally pretty few and far between.

Jul 25, 2023 at 7:18 PM Post #2,108 of 2,483
20230725_194743_Original.jpg

My review of the DUNU Falcon Ultra is out, and you can read it here.

Hope you enjoy it and thanks for reading.

Jul 25, 2023 at 8:21 PM Post #2,109 of 2,483
20230725_194743_Original.jpg

My review of the DUNU Falcon Ultra is out, and you can read it here.

Hope you enjoy it and thanks for reading.
Thanks for sharing. I really love the almost "celtic rune" look about them (as well as the Alpha 3, and maybe others). It really adds a unique flair to them IMO.

Jul 25, 2023 at 10:55 PM Post #2,110 of 2,483
I have been waiting a long time for a oxygen/Kato successor and this seems to be very interesting with that eclipse driver. I'll be honest and say that I preferred the katos more then the oxygens due to more thicker male vocals. If you were to compare the falcons to the katos then which one would you give the win for on male vocals alone? I prefer thicker, forward and more realistic vocals above anything else and felt the oxygens sounded a bit too lean in that department for my tastes so was not sure if this iem would be for me.

Bro I know your long search on forums for the requirements on thicker male vocals, and straight up, I'll tell you that the Kato has thicker male vocals.

However, the Kato has a more metallic timbre, with inferior technicalities (soundstage, instrument separation, micro-detailing, imaging). The KATO's bass isn't as tight too.

Jul 26, 2023 at 8:01 AM Post #2,111 of 2,483
F201A0F4-75B7-4583-A25A-8D1CBF17669A.jpeg

Falcon Ultra is here. (Sorry for the mess in the background, btw, I was in the middle of reviewing 2 other sets 😑)

4BC34066-0EC8-49A9-8098-F94906677EE5.gif

Beautiful earpieces. Quite heavy though.

Accessories are as generous as you would expect from a Dunu IEM.

Early sound impressions:
  • I didn’t have good sound quality with S&S tips. Just my ears, not necessarily the problem of the IEM or the tips. I settled for FiiO bass tips, one of my favourites.
  • This IEM is dynamic and slammy. It is definitely an IEM with ECLIPSE drivers, just like Zen Pro.
  • The bass seems mid-bass focused. Kicks and bass guitars sound rich, organic and bouncy. A refreshing change after a day with Helios.
  • The stock nozzle is Harman with mid-bass boost. It is thicker and warmer than a true harman IEM like Variations or “reference tuned” IEM like Helios
  • I have pinna glare and sibilance with the stock tuning nozzle. Will try the other tuning nozzle and report back.
  • Stage width is average. Stage depth is quite nice, possibly thanks to the bass floor. It means that when sound is supposed to come from the background in front of you, the IEM can push those elements all the way to sound distant.
  • Resolution wise, it can reveal some micro details and does not sound mushy. I would say “acceptable”. Not much to complain or praise for now.
IMHO, this is a balanced and matured set. It does not lean too much on “analytical” or “musical” at the expense of the other. The dynamic is the star of the show so far.

Jul 26, 2023 at 8:04 AM Post #2,112 of 2,483

Falcon Ultra is here. (Sorry for the mess in the background, btw, I was in the middle of reviewing 2 other sets 😑)

Beautiful earpieces. Quite heavy though.

Accessories are as generous as you would expect from a Dunu IEM.

Early sound impressions:
  • I didn’t have good sound quality with S&S tips. Just my ears, not necessarily the problem of the IEM or the tips. I settled for FiiO bass tips, one of my favourites.
  • This IEM is dynamic and slammy. It is definitely an IEM with ECLIPSE drivers, just like Zen Pro.
  • The bass seems mid-bass focused. Kicks and bass guitars sound rich, organic and bouncy. A refreshing change after a day with Helios.
  • The stock nozzle is Harman with mid-bass boost. It is thicker and warmer than a true harman IEM like Variations or “reference tuned” IEM like Helios
  • I have pinna glare and sibilance with the stock tuning nozzle. Will try the other tuning nozzle and report back.
  • Stage width is average. Stage depth is quite nice, possibly thanks to the bass floor. It means that when sound is supposed to come from the background in front of you, the IEM can push those elements all the way to sound distant.
  • Resolution wise, it can reveal some micro details and does not sound mushy. I would say “acceptable”. Not much to complain or praise for now.
IMHO, this is a balanced and matured set. It does not lean too much on “analytical” or “musical” at the expense of the other. The dynamic is the star of the show so far.
Similar impressions to mine. I personally settle with Ultra Clear Ear Tips with the Falcon Ultra, with the S&S the bass isn't at its best for me.

Jul 26, 2023 at 12:06 PM Post #2,113 of 2,483
Greetings all,

Thank you for your PMs - I will follow up in the week if you are selected.

Please do not follow up twice within the 24 hours, there is no need or rush.

Entries for Alpha 3 units are now closed.

Best,

-Seb

Jul 26, 2023 at 9:45 PM Post #2,114 of 2,483
Last edited:
Jul 27, 2023 at 7:43 AM Post #2,115 of 2,483

Users who are viewing this thread

Back