DT990 600 ohm vs. HE-400
Aug 22, 2012 at 10:56 AM Post #16 of 68
The HE-400 has sub-bass comparable to DT990, possibly even a little more.  The mid-bass is equally as impactful to me, but it's definitely not the quantity of DT990 mid-bass.  It has way more midrange than the DT990.  DT990 feels cold and lifeless in comparison.  The HE-400 has a high treble spike almost like the DT990, but it doesn't kick in as low as the DT990.  The end result is the DT990's treble spike will show on more recordings, while HE-400's will only show on really high treble information.

Aug 22, 2012 at 12:02 PM Post #17 of 68
Quote:
The HE-400 has sub-bass comparable to DT990, possibly even a little more.  The mid-bass is equally as impactful to me, but it's definitely not the quantity of DT990 mid-bass.  It has way more midrange than the DT990.  DT990 feels cold and lifeless in comparison.  The HE-400 has a high treble spike almost like the DT990, but it doesn't kick in as low as the DT990.  The end result is the DT990's treble spike will show on more recordings, while HE-400's will only show on really high treble information.

Thanks for that.

Since I can't hear really high treble information, maybe the 990's would give me a little more of the Grado spikyness.  Worried about the mid-bass, tho'.

Aug 22, 2012 at 12:16 PM Post #18 of 68
I was thinking about this same thing just the other day. I plan on getting a set of the Denon D2000 next, but after that I was in the same dilemma on what to do.

There is definitely a price difference in the HE-400 vs DT990, but the question is the ~$100 more worth what you would get out of the HE-400s?

I think I would be happy with either set to be honest and each set has its own slight differences.

My vote goes to the DT990/600 for overall value.

Aug 22, 2012 at 12:49 PM Post #19 of 68
Quote:
I was thinking about this same thing just the other day. I plan on getting a set of the Denon D2000 next, but after that I was in the same dilemma on what to do.

There is definitely a price difference in the HE-400 vs DT990, but the question is the ~$100 more worth what you would get out of the HE-400s?

I think I would be happy with either set to be honest and each set has its own slight differences.

It's impossible to say unless someone has A/B'd the two side-to-side. Outside of that any conclusions in this thread are pretty null, it just comes down to preference and taking a risk.

Aug 22, 2012 at 12:57 PM Post #21 of 68
Quote:
Quote:

It's impossible to say unless someone has A/B'd the two side-to-side. Outside of that any conclusions in this thread are pretty null, it just comes down to preference and taking a risk.

Dammit!  I KNEW someone would post that.  Of course, you're right.  Thanks a lot.
frown.gif

Aug 22, 2012 at 1:39 PM Post #22 of 68
I have the DT990/600....and am currently trying to decide on whether to get the HE-400 or HE-500. I lean towards being a bass-head, so I am leaning to the HE-400.

Just dragging my feet deciding though.

Aug 22, 2012 at 2:20 PM Post #23 of 68
Quote:

I realize the concept of value is very subjective, but there are those that spend thousands on cables alone to chase that last ~3% improvement in SQ. In the grand scheme of the head-fi world, $100 is not that big of a dent, especially since the HE-400 doesn't even really approach his set budget.

OT: Though I have not really extensively listened to the DT-990's aside from quick demo's, I do own the D2000, which should be comparable to your D7000. I agree with your sentiment that the midrange seemed scooped up. Usually, the vocals seemed like they were coming from much farther away than the rest of the spectrum. 

What I can tell you, from personal experience, is that:

1. You will not miss the bass from D2000 after listening to the HE400's bass. Though not as loud, the bass is cleaner and more extended. I can discern the texture and nuances of the bass notes from the HE400 much better than from the D2000. The Denons seem uncontrolled and a bit one-note in comparison, though that does not mean it is not enjoyable, if you listen to the right type of music!

2. The vocals came back! When I used to listen to the D2000, I usually felt the need to turn up the volume in order to try to focus in on the singers, but as a result, I would get easily fatigued. And they still felt distant. The more up-front lower mids in conjunction with the superior imaging capabilities of the HE400's put the vocals back in the spotlight. That is not to say that the lower mids overpower the rest of the spectrum; they don't. They're quite balanced. It's just that when you live with a pair of mid-recessed phones like the D2000 for a while, then move to something that isn't (at least with the lower mids), you take note of these things and appreciate them!

3. Though the treble of the HE400s does not have quite as much bite as the D2000, the HE400s still retain a hefty amount of energy. I'd describe the upper registers as smoother, but with just as much liveliness. The main difference, though, is that the HE400 is much less fatiguing. The D2000s have both large treble peaks in sensitive spots in the FR and recessed mids, which makes for a pretty sucky combo. I'd try to turn the volume up to bring out the mids, but then the treble would be to sharp and hot for me, which would lead to listening fatigue. However, since you do like Grado's (which I generally find even more fatiguing), this may not be a problem to you.

It's worth mentioning that I still like my D2000s, even though I may have come off as overwhelmingly negative towards them. This is in direct comparison to headphones that cost almost twice as much. It wasn't supposed to be fair. When I was looking to move on from the D2000's, I was looking for an upgrade... not a side-grade. I got it.

Aug 22, 2012 at 3:03 PM Post #24 of 68
Quote:
Quote:

I realize the concept of value is very subjective, but there are those that spend thousands on cables alone to chase that last ~3% improvement in SQ. In the grand scheme of the head-fi world, $100 is not that big of a dent, especially since the HE-400 doesn't even really approach his set budget.

OT: Though I have not really extensively listened to the DT-990's aside from quick demo's, I do own the D2000, which should be comparable to your D7000. I agree with your sentiment that the midrange seemed scooped up. Usually, the vocals seemed like they were coming from much farther away than the rest of the spectrum. 

What I can tell you, from personal experience, is that:

1. You will not miss the bass from D2000 after listening to the HE400's bass. Though not as loud, the bass is cleaner and more extended. I can discern the texture and nuances of the bass notes from the HE400 much better than from the D2000. The Denons seem uncontrolled and a bit one-note in comparison, though that does not mean it is not enjoyable, if you listen to the right type of music!

2. The vocals came back! When I used to listen to the D2000, I usually felt the need to turn up the volume in order to try to focus in on the singers, but as a result, I would get easily fatigued. And they still felt distant. The more up-front lower mids in conjunction with the superior imaging capabilities of the HE400's put the vocals back in the spotlight. That is not to say that the lower mids overpower the rest of the spectrum; they don't. They're quite balanced. It's just that when you live with a pair of mid-recessed phones like the D2000 for a while, then move to something that isn't (at least with the lower mids), you take note of these things and appreciate them!

3. Though the treble of the HE400s does not have quite as much bite as the D2000, the HE400s still retain a hefty amount of energy. I'd describe the upper registers as smoother, but with just as much liveliness. The main difference, though, is that the HE400 is much less fatiguing. The D2000s have both large treble peaks in sensitive spots in the FR and recessed mids, which makes for a pretty sucky combo. I'd try to turn the volume up to bring out the mids, but then the treble would be to sharp and hot for me, which would lead to listening fatigue. However, since you do like Grado's (which I generally find even more fatiguing), this may not be a problem to you.

It's worth mentioning that I still like my D2000s, even though I may have come off as overwhelmingly negative towards them. This is in direct comparison to headphones that cost almost twice as much. It wasn't supposed to be fair. When I was looking to move on from the D2000's, I was looking for an upgrade... not a side-grade. I got it.

Nice write-up.  Thanks.

Aug 22, 2012 at 3:31 PM Post #25 of 68
I agree with the small write-up. It has actually helped me making my choice as well.

I think I will be getting the HE-400 now instead of the DT990.

I mean, lets be honest, what's a $100 these days when I already have 6 pairs of headphones
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 22, 2012 at 6:35 PM Post #26 of 68
I own both headphones, about to sell the Beyers because I won't be using them anyway. To me, the extra money was more than worth it. The Beyers gave me terrible listening fatigue and the harsh treble hurt my ears. No such problems with the Hifiman, sonically it's in a different league.

Aug 22, 2012 at 7:12 PM Post #27 of 68
Quote:
I own both headphones, about to sell the Beyers because I won't be using them anyway. To me, the extra money was more than worth it. The Beyers gave me terrible listening fatigue and the harsh treble hurt my ears. No such problems with the Hifiman, sonically it's in a different league.

Finally someone who has compared both.  Thank you.  

I find planars can be rolled off at the mid-top (I can't hear the top).  I worry that the HE-400 will roll too much for my ears, being a 325i fan.  One man's poison and so forth.

BTW, PM me with info on selling the 990's if you don't mind.

Aug 22, 2012 at 7:18 PM Post #28 of 68
The grados actually roll-off in the highs sooner than the HE-400.  I've no doubt the Grados are more pronounced in the highs though.  It's not that you're looking for something that isn't rolled off in the highs, you're looking for something as bright as your grados.

Aug 22, 2012 at 7:27 PM Post #29 of 68
I have owned FOUR pairs of DT990s (Two 600ohm, One 250ohm Pro, and currently the 32ohm). Also own the HE-400, which is my fave headphone (next to the D7000).

DT990/600 vs HE-400

Make no mistake, the HE-400 is in another league.

The DT990 is fantastic, but it's not exactly natural sounding, and the treble peaks are quite a bit more uncomfortable than the HE-400.

The bass on the He-400 is more integrated, but still very lively with plenty of fullness and impact. The DT990's bass is stronger, but I feel that the HE-400 has more overall 'presence' and body.

The mids aren't comparable. The HE-400 is well in line with everything else. The DT990's mids are pushed back, though they are still very clean sounding.

The treble is airy and sparkly on both, but quite a bit more prominent on the 990s, to the point where it can be a problem to some people.

The soundstage width and depth belong to the 990, no mistake. However, the sound presentation of the HE-400 is less like a headphone, and more like two speakers next to your head. That planar sound is intoxicating.

Ironically, people always want to jump to the 600ohm DT990 because of the usual Head-fi mentality, but I can honestly say that the 32ohm sounds 95% the same, with less grating treble, fuller bass, and easier amping requirements. I'd personally say that the majority of head-fi would actually prefer the 32ohm DT990 over the 600ohm, if they heard it. Not like they will do it though. The 600ohm IS slightly clearer, and I blame that clarity on less fullness of the bass, and more perceived treble response. IMHO. Still, they are so close to one another, that I'd choose more with what your inteded use is. If you're not gonna get a beefy desktop amp, the 32ohm just makes a lot more sense.

Aug 22, 2012 at 8:17 PM Post #30 of 68
Quote:
I have owned FOUR pairs of DT990s (Two 600ohm, One 250ohm Pro, and currently the 32ohm). Also own the HE-400, which is my fave headphone (next to the D7000).
DT990/600 vs HE-400
Make no mistake, the HE-400 is in another league.
The DT990 is fantastic, but it's not exactly natural sounding, and the treble peaks are quite a bit more uncomfortable than the HE-400.
The bass on the He-400 is more integrated, but still very lively with plenty of fullness and impact. The DT990's bass is stronger, but I feel that the HE-400 has more overall 'presence' and body.
The mids aren't comparable. The HE-400 is well in line with everything else. The DT990's mids are pushed back, though they are still very clean sounding.
The treble is airy and sparkly on both, but quite a bit more prominent on the 990s, to the point where it can be a problem to some people.
The soundstage width and depth belong to the 990, no mistake. However, the sound presentation of the HE-400 is less like a headphone, and more like two speakers next to your head. That planar sound is intoxicating.
Ironically, people always want to jump to the 600ohm DT990 because of the usual Head-fi mentality, but I can honestly say that the 32ohm sounds 95% the same, with less grating treble, fuller bass, and easier amping requirements. I'd personally say that the majority of head-fi would actually prefer the 32ohm DT990 over the 600ohm, if they heard it. Not like they will do it though. The 600ohm IS slightly clearer, and I blame that clarity on less fullness of the bass, and more perceived treble response. IMHO. Still, they are so close to one another, that I'd choose more with what your inteded use is. If you're not gonna get a beefy desktop amp, the 32ohm just makes a lot more sense.

I'm going to be buying some used D5K's very soon. Is it possible the HE 400 (look to be $400-ish new??) would be a better buy? These cans interest me, but if the bass isn't there no way. I'm only concerned how the HE-400 stack up against denon bass. 

Keep in mind I didn't care for the dt990 bass all that much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back