Drop + JVC HA-FDX1 Dual Carbon IEM...available in the US!
Sep 20, 2019 at 4:44 AM Post #196 of 1,383
Drop / JVC FDX1 review

Equipment used (not a whole lot really):
• Sony WM1A music player
• **** 4.4mm SPC balanced cable
• UE900 single flange tips (blue core)

First off I would like to extend a hearty thanks to Thomas, Christian, and the group at Drop for the gracious opportunity to listen to and review a pre-production FDX1. Thomas has been very helpful providing information on the back story describing how this project came about. I had kept up with threads here, and elsewhere on the web, about the JVC FD01's modification story, and was highly curious to hear a pair all along. I considered purchasing a set and performing the mods myself, but just never got around to doing it. Some time later I was amazed to learn that Drop actually worked with the modding community to put that exact configuration into production, and coordinated getting JVC on board to make it happen. It's not very often to hear of a large manufacturer listening to a small community of users, and taking their suggestions to heart. To me that is the coolest aspect of this whole story I think. I find it inspiring that JVC (and its engineers) may have learned a thing or two from the modding community about tuning their signatures to not be so hot and aggressive. As a former owner of the Victor FX500, and FX700, I was already pretty familiar with how their signatures could lean more on the aggressive side, and I was excited to see how this collaboration addressed that tendency.

A few days after emailing with Thomas I received the sample from Drop. It arrived in a plain cardboard box, with a basic assortment of included items and accessories. This consisted of the IEM earpieces in small poly bags, the stock cord (which is very comfortable and soft but slightly microphonic), a nice magnetic closure carrying case, spiral dot tips, and of course the tuning nozzles. The white nozzles were what came installed, and they have no damping material replicating the stock level of detail from the FD01.

---=== Build Quality ===---

The construction of the FDX1 is excellent, with sturdy metal housings. The front portion with the nozzle rotates which allows wearing either cable down or up over the ears, and has the unique removable nozzles (which come off with the slickest tiny release button - a marvel of miniature engineering). One negative is that along with the microphonics of the cable, the metal shell seems to transmit any touch as a loud thunk in my ears while fiddling with them trying to achieve a good seal. While that is happening, I hear some driver flex as well, and I hope that doesn’t cause any issues with them down the road. They do feel extremely sturdy and well made, and the interchangeable nozzles are just large enough that I don't feel like if one gets dropped onto carpet it'll get lost. I recall having the FLC 8S, and losing a couple of the tiny bass ports, which soured me on the whole ownership experience even though I highly enjoyed the sound. Not the case here.

---=== First Use & Fit ===---

Out of the box and trying to get used to the fit, I initially found them hard to get seated well. I settled with cable over the ears orientation, but seal was hard to achieve with the Spiral Dot tips. So I went tip hunting in my stash, and found the newer UE900 (M/ blue core) silicones really helped get the seal right, and the sound was markedly improved to my ears. With that sorted, time to get to some listening....

I first tried them from the Sony WM1A's single ended output and stock cable. I was pretty surprised at how power hungry they were. Same story out of my Galaxy Note 8. So I swapped to an inexpensive Chinese 4.4mm balanced cable and tried it out of the Sony's 4.4 output... much better. With those things worked out, my first impression was present are all the dynamic driver pros, with none of the drawbacks that sometimes come with them. There's no slop, overhang, or muddy lack of focus (at all) that inherently come with poorly executed DD IEMs. Instead what I get from these is a laser-like incisiveness and clarity, much like you'd expect with the very best of BA earphones. The other thing I noticed right away was the purity of tone, in all bands. I don't think I've experienced any IEM which has this level of tonal realism, honesty, and that "right character" to every area of frequency range. There's also none of that clinical sterility which can plague some BA earphones. The FDX1 just walks the line, doing all of it exceedingly well.

I do find that fit can be a touch fiddly even after finding the right tips. The shell’s barrel shape doesn't lend itself very well to a naturally snug fit like so many current universals meant to be worn over the ears only, and which have that "pseudo-custom" shell shape. Sometimes I found them breaking seal slightly, and I'd have to readjust several times to get them seated correctly again to have that excellent sound snap into place once more.

---=== Sound Characteristics ===---

Soundstage:
When they are seated just right, the sense of space and staging is definitely quite good. It may lack that last iota of expansiveness and width, but it puts out a very respectable impression of height and depth, so there's an enveloping 3D feel to everything. The thing the FDX1 does so well is instrument placement within the stage, creating the clearest window into your music. All instruments - from deep drums, vocals and guitars, up through the highest triangle tings - are faithfully portrayed in space with room to breathe. So there’s not really much to complain about here, except that it doesn't quite match the expansiveness of a couple of the other IEMs I put it against. If these had that last bit of width and expansiveness, and air, this would be an end of the line IEM for me.

Bass:
The 11mm Diamond-like carbon drivers kick with a fantastic low end. It may not be the last word in quantity, but it has that laser-like focus I mentioned earlier. The character is snappy, taut, but reaches remarkably low when music calls for it. There's not an over-abundance of mid-bass though, but that keeps the overall sonic character very clean and clarity driven. Muddy is not a word one can use regarding any aspect of the range, especially the lows. There is a direct communication of a drum's quality - is it a huge bass drum that reverberates for a couple seconds?...this driver will faithfully reproduce it. Or is it a quick snap on a snare?...again, done flawlessly. You feel the particular drum's volume, the tautness of the skin, tonal character. For an example, I love The Tear Garden, and especially the album "To Be an Angel Blind, the Crippled Soul Divide". One of my test tracks is "In Search of My Rose" which opens with a very distinct and deep drum kick. Many earphones can make a mess of this, portraying the drums as muddy and thick. On the FDX1, it's got all the characteristics of great bass, and the volume of the drum is conveyed with amazing realism. I think when I got this track going the first time was when I really said to myself this IEM is something special.

Mids:
The FDX1 suffers no recessed or scooped mids, like with many current mass consumer tuned IEMs. This is a refreshing treat to me. Edward Ka-Spel's nasally voice is so lifelike it's uncanny, and I could listen to his vocals all day on the FDX1. And the strings in "In Search of My Rose" have fantastic texture. Electric guitars drive with authority, and have the proper bite. This IEM really shows why having recessed mids causes one to miss out on a critical area in the music's frequency range. Overall, the midrange is presented with remarkable clarity, and instruments/ voices are clearly delineated in space as they should be..

Treble:
The treble is really special on the FDX1. This is of course with a damped nozzle installed. With the original one in place (which replicates the sound of the FD01), it is definitely too harsh and biting - it needs taming (showing the need and purpose for this whole project). Thankfully the other nozzles do the trick well. My feeling is that detail and dynamics get knocked back a bit and lost with the blue nozzle, but with the green one a perfect balance of nice detail and extension without the harshness was struck. The highs positively shimmer and sparkle, and reach quite high, beyond what my aging ears can detect. So there's no sense of roll off the way I hear it. Throughout all the highs, instrument character is again conveyed with great realism (just like with the bass). Triangle tings have real metallic weight to them, showing no hint of any strange tone or plasticky weirdness (as you sometimes get with BA drivers). Cymbals sound like cymbals, and all sounds as it should. Transients are super quick as well, with notes starting and stopping with great speed.

---=== Select Comparisons ===---

Audiosense T800:
I recently purchased the T800 from Aliexpress after reading about its capabilities. Right now, it is probably my favorite IEM, and I highly enjoy its full range sound. The level of bass it presents is excellent for an all BA IEM. Like the FDX1, it has remarkable clarity and insight into the music you listen to. It just goes about it a bit differently. Being all BA drivers, it has a slightly noticeable BA character to it, and I think this is the biggest knock against it once I listened to the FDX1. The Drop earphone is just so clean and resolving, and as mentioned earlier, that purity of tone sets it apart from the T800 giving it a naturalness that the T800 can’t match. Detail levels are really about equal, but with the FDX1 showing a slightly clearer window on everything. You hear the same details on both phones, but it just seems a bit easier to get to them with the FDX1. It does miss the expansiveness of stage that the T800 has, and this gives it a more intimate and close in feeling. Like I mentioned earlier, if the FDX1 had that last bit of width and expansiveness, it would be ideal.

Ikko OH10:
This is not really a fair comparison, as the OH10 is significantly less expensive than the FDX1, and the overall characteristics of the two shine a spotlight on the gap. I do enjoy the Ikko with its great detail retrieval and dynamic extension, but when listened to back-to-back with the FDX1, it is obviously a less refined experience. The lows are boomy and thick by comparison, and midrange shows some recession. The entire midband exhibits much more lifelike tone on the FDX1, with far better fullness and placement. Everything just sounds grander in scale on the FDX1 with more height, heft, and richness. The Ikko’s stage may be a touch wider than the JVC, but it’s nowhere as full regarding depth, and encompassing feeling. So placement and space has better refinement on the FDX1.

64 Audio U12t:
Now we’re getting into top tier territory and I wouldn’t expect it to be a fair fight, but the single dynamic driver FDX1 does a few things just as well or better, and a couple not quite as well. They’re different, but both amazing phones. As great as the bass is on the U12t, it just can’t quite cope with the tactile slam and depth that the JVC dishes out. The U12t’s low end has a trace of BA timbre to it (which would be expected), and doesn’t really have the ability to convey the feeling of the types of drums involved, or sense of air volume being moved. Both phones have fantastic mids, neither being recessed or scooped. The mids on the FDX1 may just have a hair more clarity and resolution though. That dynamic driver really digs out the resolution as well as any of the BA drivers I’ve ever heard. Treble is pretty much a wash, with both bordering on being edgy, with great sparkle and extension. Staging goes to the U12t though, and the FDX1 is not as wide or open feeling. Overall, the U12t perhaps has just a slightly more refined, smooth, and spacious presentation. But I’m impressed at how enjoyable a listen the FDX1 is after some time with the U12t.

---=== Concluding Thoughts ===---

I am really glad I got a chance to listen to the pre-production FDX1. To wrap things up, maybe a bullet list of what it does well and not so well best summarizes this awesome IEM:

Strengths -
• Fantastic bass quality and clarity, with lifelike texture, and focus
• Overall resolution and detail which becomes almost like a clear window into your music
• 100% faithful tone and timbre, the likes of which I’ve not heard before in any IEM
• Modular function with the swappable nozzles, allowing user to tune the sound to his/her liking
• Robust construction should stand the test of time

Weaknesses -
• Soundstage is not the last word in overall width or spaciousness
• Fit is not the best, and may take some tip experimenting, and fiddling to get the perfect seal
• Shell conveys thumps and knocks to the ears when handling trying to get seated
• Some driver flex

Congrats to Drop and JVC for coordinating modding community improvements, and user feedback, to bring a new and unique product to launch. While not perfect, this IEM gives a truly special listening experience, and in my book represents a huge value for the noted price. I will definitely be purchasing a set once the drop goes live. Color me impressed.

Hi i would like to ask, if using phone to drive( lg g7), u would recommend fdx1 or t800?

In term.of fitting which better ?
Most of the time using outside, go and back from work, so phone is my primary driver, and fiting important to me too.

Sep 20, 2019 at 9:50 AM Post #197 of 1,383
Hi i would like to ask, if using phone to drive( lg g7), u would recommend fdx1 or t800?

In term.of fitting which better ?
Most of the time using outside, go and back from work, so phone is my primary driver, and fiting important to me too.

Hey there -- it's hard to say for your particular phone, as the output spec may be different that with my Note 8. I can just tell you that the T800 was an absolute no-go with my phone. It needs more careful source matching. It is good with my Sony WM1A. As for the FDX1, I tried it briefly with my phone as well but it was underpowered, and I switched to using it from my Sony's balanced output too. Unfortunately I can't answer which of the two would be better for your phone. I suspect that both of these IEMs reward more with higher end sources.

Sep 20, 2019 at 10:41 AM Post #198 of 1,383
Hey there -- it's hard to say for your particular phone, as the output spec may be different that with my Note 8. I can just tell you that the T800 was an absolute no-go with my phone. It needs more careful source matching. It is good with my Sony WM1A. As for the FDX1, I tried it briefly with my phone as well but it was underpowered, and I switched to using it from my Sony's balanced output too. Unfortunately I can't answer which of the two would be better for your phone. I suspect that both of these IEMs reward more with higher end sources.

Noted, thanks for your review.

Sep 20, 2019 at 4:39 PM Post #199 of 1,383
Maybe you'll find these posts helpful. The FX850 are pretty similar to the FW01 woodies I'm referring to (just a little more v-shaped with more pronounced bass and treble). The FDX1 are considerably more balanced and refined.

I bit, price point is good compared to what I paid for my 850s or what current gen woodies are going for. Thanks for the forum quotes.

Sep 22, 2019 at 10:36 AM Post #200 of 1,383
Alright I am interested in these now. Do these have the same amount of highs as the Audiosense T800 has? because it is a bit too much for me and my favourite IEM right now is the Moondrop KXXS with its harman target sound. anyone have the KXXS and these fdx1? Seems most of you like these more than the tanchjim oxygen too.

Sep 22, 2019 at 12:29 PM Post #202 of 1,383
Sep 22, 2019 at 12:50 PM Post #203 of 1,383
I am a little late to the party, but I really wanted to make sure of my opinions before I committed to the review.

Drop + JVC HA-FDX1 Review: Mod Magic
Thank for the review. wow you gave it an A-. That seems almost incredible given the price point and the other IEMs in your rating scale. Are they really this good?

Sep 22, 2019 at 1:14 PM Post #204 of 1,383
I am a little late to the party, but I really wanted to make sure of my opinions before I committed to the review.

"The FDX1 is not an IEM I’d reach for when I’m feeling like listening to Sinatra or some of my cello-heavy orchestral tracks for instance, not really conveying the sense of weight in the notes that these tracks require for my definition of the full experience", what would your preferred genres be, for the FDX1 ?

Sep 23, 2019 at 12:03 AM Post #205 of 1,383

Excellent review and impressive ranking!
Thanks @crinacle love your work and site! It‘s my go to guide through the IEM jungle.

As an owner of the EX800ST and a modded FD02 (filter + cable) the statement that the JVC lacks note weight and could use a slightly slower decay was a surprise. I don‘t know what JVC changed on the FDX1 but to me the modded FD02 sounds richer and smoother than the EX800.
That, and my preference for a moderately boosted sub bass and smooth treble makes me prefer the modded FD02 over the EX800.
I pick up the EX800 when I want a neutral reference sound, the FD02 when I just want to enjoy the music. Interestingly I find them especially good for vocals and strings.

EDIT: After listening to some Bruch pieces played by Friedrich Kleinhapl (cello) I have to amend/correct my statement above, the EX800 indeed gives the Cello more weight, the FD02 emphasizes the upper frequencies and makes the cello sound thinner. Mea culpa! Again a valuable lesson learned thanks to Crinacle!

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2019 at 7:32 PM Post #206 of 1,383
... the EX800 indeed gives the Cello more weight, the FD02 emphasizes the upper frequencies and makes the cello sound thinner.

Well, to add my humble 2c, the EX800 are stage monitoring IEMs, and as such intentionally tuned down a bit in the upper range to make them less fatiguing.

While the FD01/02 remain indeed a tad boosted in upper mids post mod, I feel that their deviation from realistic note weight towards thinness is actually smaller than the EX800's deviation towards thickness.

Ultimately, this comes of course down to personal preference, and there's just no generally agreed upon definition of accuracy for IEMs. But I just wanted to point out that the EX800 / MDR-7550 have been marketed by Sony as live stage monitors, and that, contrary to studio monitors, live stage monitors are usually tuned a little warmer / fuller / darker than neutral.

https://pro.sony/ue_US/products/headphones/mdr-7550

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2019 at 2:17 AM Post #208 of 1,383
HERE!

Drop + JVC .jpg

Sep 26, 2019 at 2:56 AM Post #209 of 1,383

Nice review!
Based on my 6 months with a modded FD02, the brother of the FDX1, your summary nails it:

CONCLUDING REMARKS

The Drop + JVC HA-FDX01 are not perfect, but they are getting close. As a recreational listener, I first hear the wonderful tonal balance and accuracy. As an analytical reviewing listener I first hear the good technicalities. What could be improved? Well, resolution and soundstage, possibly, but the timbre alone makes this earphone worthwhile. The Drop + JVC HA-FDX01 is not only an instant classic, it also will be an instant collector’s item.

I think there's one little mistake in the green opener box stating that it's a dual dynamic driver IEM, unless you mean that there are 2 drivers, one in the right and one in the left ear piece :ksc75smile:

BTW - I think you should give the JVC FW10000 a listen when you get a chance. You might like them :L3000:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back