Does it get much better than the HD800?
Jan 17, 2013 at 6:35 PM Post #287 of 357
Jan 18, 2013 at 1:36 AM Post #288 of 357
i did not talk about soundstage! although the ss of an uerm is like standing in a cathedral. but as far as resolution and speed goes, it is simple. on a dynamic you have got only onedriber for the whole frequency spectrum. on something like the uerm you have got one or more for bass, one or more for mids, and one or more for highs. so each has lesser to do. as far as speed goes, well i am not good in physics, but a dynamic driver has to be moved. in a ba it is a much smaller movement, if any. so the movement can be faster.

there are a lot of hifi guys in german hifi forums, that were big fans of stax, hd800, cd3000 and whatsoever, but once they listened to the uerm, they were convinced in everything but soundstage size. so for critical listening they nowadays find themselves using the uerm more often. it is just a different feeling, butyou get better pinpoint accuracy in imaging and more details from such a technical masterwork. remember the technology comes from medicine industry, which has tons of money for research and wanted to give the most realistic listening experiance for hearing aids. otherwise that could have used dynamic drivers.

Jan 18, 2013 at 1:48 AM Post #289 of 357
HD 800 are near the pinnacle of dynamic headphones. Electrostatics, orthodynamics, and ribbon speakers go up and up in quality, sound and exponentially in price. Figure 5 grand for a good electrostatic set up for instance. It's all about diminishing returns. If you're one of those people who feel content knowing you have the best, you may be doing a lot of catching up because it seems a new model comes out every few years that one ups the ones before it. 3 years ago it was all about the HD600, HD650, and the Beyerdynamic 880 and Tesla. Then the HD800 popped up and both AKG and Beyerdynamic have yet to fire back with even better models, but it will happen.

Jan 18, 2013 at 3:01 AM Post #290 of 357
Depends how you would define "better". In terms of soundstage, precision and neutrality, there are probably very few dynamic phones that can surpass the HD800, for now at least. But in terms of musicality, yes, there are other contenders in my opinion.

Jan 20, 2013 at 5:38 AM Post #292 of 357
Jan 20, 2013 at 12:05 PM Post #293 of 357
Yea it gets better.  The LCD3, Sony R1, Orpheus, top of the line Stax also better. 

I sold my LCD3 because my HD800 scale higher. It also depends on tastes. The lcd3 is more musical though, whereas the HD800 is technically superior imo. For musical enjoyment, I preferred my HE6/HD800's, so it depends on your set up and tastes

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Jan 20, 2013 at 12:09 PM Post #294 of 357
Quote:
I sold my LCD3 because my HD800 scale higher. It also depends on tastes. The lcd3 is more musical though, whereas the HD800 is technically superior imo. For musical enjoyment, I preferred my HE6/HD800's, so it depends on your set up and tastes

Sounds like you ended up where I am right now although right now my HE6 is used a lot more often than the HD800 but don't see the HD800 going anywhere. 

Jan 20, 2013 at 12:15 PM Post #295 of 357
Quote:
Sounds like you ended up where I am right now although right now my HE6 is used a lot more often than the HD800 but don't see the HD800 going anywhere. 

Throw me in this group,as well..Using the he-6's with a DHC copper/silver cable...gives me a nice sound balance
Waiting on a new Q cable,which I will be able to use on both headphones,with matching adapter.

The HD800's are just amazing.
Did have some remorse ,when I sold the lcd-2's..but..?

Jan 20, 2013 at 12:16 PM Post #296 of 357
Quote:
Throw me in this group,as well..Using the he-6's with a DHC copper/silver cable...gives me a nice sound balance
Waiting on a new Q cable,which I will be able to use on both headphones,with matching adapter.

The HD800's are just amazing.
Did have some remorse ,when I sold the lcd-2's..but..?

But you're buying the LCD-3 'soon' anyways to make up for it. :)

Jan 20, 2013 at 12:18 PM Post #297 of 357
HD 800 are near the pinnacle of dynamic headphones. Electrostatics, orthodynamics, and ribbon speakers go up and up in quality, sound and exponentially in price. Figure 5 grand for a good electrostatic set up for instance. It's all about diminishing returns. If you're one of those people who feel content knowing you have the best, you may be doing a lot of catching up because it seems a new model comes out every few years that one ups the ones before it. 3 years ago it was all about the HD600, HD650, and the Beyerdynamic 880 and Tesla. Then the HD800 popped up and both AKG and Beyerdynamic have yet to fire back with even better models, but it will happen.

A used HE-6 ($8-900), a decent speaker amp used ($500) is less than the cost of the 800s retail.

Jan 20, 2013 at 12:22 PM Post #298 of 357
Quote:
But you're buying the LCD-3 'soon' anyways to make up for it. :)

LOL,you are determined to put me in the poor house..

This time,for the first time,I will first try them out ,at the meet in April
So,lets see,next 6 months..lcd-3's,Schiit signature gear..
What else Para...a rolls??..LOL

Jan 20, 2013 at 12:36 PM Post #299 of 357
Quote:
Sorry for posting in such and old thread, but since it's mine I'll allow myself to do it. 

I want a pair that has the bass of the HE-500 but at the same time presents crystal clear and forward vocals, unreal presentation of acoustic instruments, details, soundstage, and comfort of the HD800. Basically, a tiny bit more discreet treble than the HD800. (I've heard the HD700 and the T1 and those sounded artificial to my ears.)

Is there anything that matches that description? Maybe I'm describing the perfect headphone... Maybe we will never see such a thing.

I almost exclusively listen to "acoustic-only" music, by the way.

Head-fi, you're great!

Will the SA-5000 be near? 

or is it a league lower?

regards

Jan 20, 2013 at 2:57 PM Post #300 of 357
Quote:
LOL,you are determined to put me in the poor house..

This time,for the first time,I will first try them out ,at the meet in April
So,lets see,next 6 months..lcd-3's,Schiit signature gear..
What else Para...a rolls??..LOL

The LCD-3 is worth it..  They may or may not unseat your HE-6s or HD800s, but they are way better than the LCD-2s.  IMO

Users who are viewing this thread

Back