Does it get much better than the HD800?
Jan 16, 2013 at 7:34 PM Post #271 of 357
Quote:
Aside from Rabid Dog?

The next generation of RD: more rabid, more dawgier.

I highly suggest not buying the HE6 blind. It sounds very good, but you might not find that it's an improvement on the HE-500.

Jan 16, 2013 at 8:44 PM Post #274 of 357
Quote:
I don't think he6 is quite the same as an hd800 with ortho bass, it also has ortho mids and highs
tongue.gif
. Basically there is more body to the sound, but IMO a little less of the really fine delicate microdynamic prowess of the HD800. In my system to my experience etc etc.

He did say he want something like this "I want a pair that has the bass of the HE-500 but at the same time presents crystal clear and forward vocals, unreal presentation of acoustic instruments, details, soundstage,"  

Sure does sound like the HE-6 I know in my system and going by my experience. and so on, and so on, and so on
blink.gif

Jan 16, 2013 at 8:58 PM Post #275 of 357
Quote:

For me and IMO there is a noticeable difference in favor of the HE-6

Of course, but the tonality of the two are very different and HE6 could be unfavorable even though it is technically superior.

For instance, I have been fidgeting with earpads a lot with my HE500s, and through that experience I realized that I like a darker more LCD3-like tonality (darker than LCD2r2 even, but not r1 because that is way too muffled-sounding). Now if I were to suddenly switch to HE6 now I'd hate it despite it having the better resolution, dynamics, smoothness etc, the whole shebang.

Jan 16, 2013 at 9:01 PM Post #276 of 357
Quote:
Of course, but the tonality of the two are very different and HE6 could be unfavorable even though it is technically superior.

For instance, I have been fidgeting with earpads a lot with my HE500s, and through that experience I realized that I like a darker more LCD3-like tonality (darker than LCD2r2 even, but not r1 because that is way too muffled-sounding). Now if I were to suddenly switch to HE6 now I'd hate it despite it having the better resolution, dynamics, smoothness etc, the whole shebang.

See what your talking about is your preference.  I said for me and IMO.  So that would be my preference...  

I listen to all my HifImans mostly all the time.  For me the HE-6 is the flagship for good reason.

Jan 16, 2013 at 9:22 PM Post #278 of 357
Quote:

See what your talking about is your preference.  I said for me and IMO.  So that would be my preference...  

I listen to all my HifImans mostly all the time.  For me the HE-6 is the flagship for good reason.

By the way, if you open your HE6, how do the gold foils look on the driver? Are they all smooth-looking etc? I dunno why but all HE500 aluminum tracings are wrinkly and I bet it contributes to the lowered resolution.

Jan 16, 2013 at 9:23 PM Post #279 of 357
I hear Fang himself licks each earpad that's destined to grace an HE-6.

You don't even want to know what Joe Grado does to the HP1s people send to him mod.

Jan 17, 2013 at 2:16 AM Post #281 of 357
Quote:
What I mean:

Here's a random Techpowerup's review photo of HE6 driver

Are the gold tracings actually pleated like that? Or is that just an optical illusion?

Hey Jerg, I'll send a couple good pictures to you tomorrow. The drivers definitely have top notch finishing.

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Jan 17, 2013 at 2:25 AM Post #282 of 357
Quote:
Hey Jerg, I'll send a couple good pictures to you tomorrow. The drivers definitely have top notch finishing.

Cool thanks; it'd be better if we can just get another meet going so everyone can check out those drivers close up irl maybe? 
wink.gif

Jan 17, 2013 at 5:43 PM Post #284 of 357
That's just simply not true. What is your experience to back up such an incredibly bold and, what I consider, an inaccurate and misleading statement?

Multi-BA's weak spot is imaging and soundstage. Almost everything images better than multi-BA's, including single armatures. Multi-BA's smear the imaging all over the place. Speed is arguable. "Resolution?" Depends on what you mean. If you mean transparency and detail, then Multi-BA's always sound far less transparent than any high-end full-size I have heard. 

To be clear, I define transparency as how real and accurate the sound is to the real instrument in timbre, decay, and detail. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back