Does it get much better than the HD800?
Dec 10, 2012 at 8:26 PM Post #257 of 357
Quote:
We don't have the GS-X yet.  Or you mean when we get it?  I do know the person who I got the F1 from said the MJ could not touch it..

Yep...I meant when you get it. I'm still waiting on my upgrade modules for mine. I'd like to hear it after that with the HE-6s. 

I am not surprised that the F1 is the better amp than the MJ for the HE-6s. The best I heard them sound was out of my brother's McIntosh speaker amp.

Dec 10, 2012 at 8:35 PM Post #259 of 357
Does Tyll note what headamps he's using for his measurements? Peter, maybe you know since you've worked with him.

Dec 10, 2012 at 8:37 PM Post #260 of 357
Quote:
Maybe you can arrange Tyll to measure the HE-6s on someones speaker amp.  I t would very interesting to see if the measurements change.

Quote:
Does Tyll note what headamps he's using for his measurements just in general? Peter, maybe you know since you've worked with him.

That would be a great idea. I think he uses the Headroom BUDA or UltraDesktop amp. But I'm not 100% sure.

I did mention that follow up work with the same pair of headphones left on the head and switch out the amp might be of interest to others though. If the same pair of headphones are left on the dummy head, the subsequent measurements are very repeatable and the results would be interesting (at lest to me).

Dec 10, 2012 at 8:41 PM Post #261 of 357
I did mention that follow up work with the same pair of headphones left on the head and switch out the amp might be of interest to others though. If the same pair of headphones are left on the dummy head, the subsequent measurements are very repeatable and the results would be interesting (at lest to me).
I would like to see that

Dec 11, 2012 at 12:07 AM Post #262 of 357
Quote:
I would like to see that

I second that. I also believe the HE-6 has slowly been revised throughout the year when comparing between my 5 friends' HE-6's; so it may measure differently. I also believe it will perform noticeably (albeit not necessarily drastically) better if driven by a speaker amp.

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Jan 16, 2013 at 7:08 PM Post #264 of 357
Sorry for posting in such and old thread, but since it's mine I'll allow myself to do it. 

I want a pair that has the bass of the HE-500 but at the same time presents crystal clear and forward vocals, unreal presentation of acoustic instruments, details, soundstage, and comfort of the HD800. Basically, a tiny bit more discreet treble than the HD800. (I've heard the HD700 and the T1 and those sounded artificial to my ears.)

Is there anything that matches that description? Maybe I'm describing the perfect headphone... Maybe we will never see such a thing.

I almost exclusively listen to "acoustic-only" music, by the way.

Head-fi, you're great!

Jan 16, 2013 at 7:23 PM Post #266 of 357
Quote:
Sorry for posting in such and old thread, but since it's mine I'll allow myself to do it. 

I want a pair that has the bass of the HE-500 but at the same time presents crystal clear and forward vocals, unreal presentation of acoustic instruments, details, soundstage, and comfort of the HD800. Basically, a tiny bit more discreet treble than the HD800. (I've heard the HD700 and the T1 and those sounded artificial to my ears.)

Is there anything that matches that description? Maybe I'm describing the perfect headphone... Maybe we will never see such a thing.

Head-fi, you're great!

The HE-6 would be your favorite headphone going by your first phrase.

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Jan 16, 2013 at 7:26 PM Post #267 of 357
Won't I experience the same problems with comfort and weight as the HE-500 with the HE-6 though?

Jan 16, 2013 at 7:27 PM Post #268 of 357
Jan 16, 2013 at 7:31 PM Post #269 of 357
Quote:

Head-fi, you're great!

Yes............

The HE-6  
biggrin.gif

Jan 16, 2013 at 7:32 PM Post #270 of 357
I don't think he6 is quite the same as an hd800 with ortho bass, it also has ortho mids and highs :p. Basically there is more body to the sound, but IMO a little less of the really fine delicate microdynamic prowess of the HD800. In my system to my experience etc etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back